SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-07-08, 09:05 AM   #1
poisonidea

Default Please help the computer illiterate! (Ubuntu/Linux)

Hi All,

I know there are a few tech heads on here so just wondered if anyone could help...

Ok, so i'm trying to install the Linux based Ubuntu on a pc I got from work. I managed to install it fine 1st time on saturday and it worked fine. Turned the pc on on sunday and Ubuntu booted up fine. I then tried to install Amrok (music software) and it crashed. Had to reset but it wouldn't boot up the ubuntu OS and kept trying to boot from the cd even though i've set it to boot from harddrive in the bios. So, i'll just reinstall i thought, booted from the ubuntu cd but when it got to the disk partitioning bit i get the following error message:

"The attempt to mount a file system with type ext3 in SCSI1 (0,0,0), partition #1 (sda) at / failed. You may resume partitioning from the partitioning menu."

Tried to play around with the settings a bit but couldn't get it to work so thought i'd reformat the HD and start from scratch. So I used a program called Tarik's boot and nuke or something to format and get rid of the partitions. This took about 5 hours. So this morning tried to reinstall on the clear harddrive and get the same message! grrr! I'm not trying to do a duel boot with windows or anything.

Any idea's would be much appreciated as I don't want another 3am bed time tonight!

Thanks

Chris
Old 07-07-08, 09:24 AM   #2
Baph

Default Re: Please help the computer illiterate! (Ubuntu/Linux)

Stick the hard disk in a Windows machine, format it then run check disk (chkdsk.exe /r /f <drive_letter>: )

If you'd of stopped when you originally got the error on boot up, I could of walked you through the fix. But hey ho, newbies to Linux always learn the hard way.

All that was wrong, was that somehow during the Amok install, your /etc/fstab file was corrupt.
Old 07-07-08, 09:41 AM   #3
poisonidea

Thanks Baph! Hmm... is there anyway I can format without sticking the HD in a windows pc? I asked the IT dept at work and they said buy a new hard drive.... :/ I found a video on youtube showing how to manually partition the drive so may try that but I have the feeling the same thing will happen....

Like I said, i've already formatted once using the "boot n nuke" disk. Read elsewhere that I should boot ubuntu from the cd live and use the gparted app to manually partition, but this is kinda getting to the limit of ny technical knowledge!

Last edited by poisonidea; 07-07-08 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-07-08, 09:52 AM   #4
Baph

I personally use fdisk in Linux, but that will most likely scare the bejebus out of you to be honest.

In theory, you should just be able install Ubuntu over the disk. However:

1) Stick in the live CD, and note the device name (probably hda1 but have a look at /etc/fstab for an ext3 partition, and that'll be the baby).
2) Try using fsck -f /dev/<device_name>. That should sort most of it out, but that's only if Ubutu's live CD has recognised the drive & auto-mounted it for you.

Failling that, talk to your companies IT bods, and ask them "If I boot this into a live CD, and enable SSHd, would you be ok with someone outside the company fixing it, and what IP address can I give him?".

If they're ok about it and you haven't been instantly dismissed for suggesting the idea ( ), open a Terminal in Ubuntu, and do the following:
- sudo apt-get install openssh-server
- /etc/init.d/ssh start

Then drop me a PM with the IP address that the IT guy told you, and I'll take a look for you
Old 07-07-08, 10:26 AM   #5
poisonidea

Wow you can do that?!

The pc is now mine at my house so I can do whatever the hell I want with it!

How do I open a terminal...?
Old 07-07-08, 10:49 AM   #6
Baph

Yea, if you install SSHd, that basically lets anyone connect to the computer & use a terminal.

As for opening a terminal locally, ALT+F2 then type xterm & hit enter. It'll pop up a box that you can type (or copy & paste) the commands into.

Warning though, because it's a live CD, you'll have to do that every time you boot up & want someone to look at the machine for you. I'm also starting to run short on time today.

You'll also need to know your external IP, and probably have to route a port from your router to the computer you want fixing (I'll need port 22 open on your roiter, forwarded to the IP of the computer).
Old 07-07-08, 03:04 PM   #7
startrek.steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
Yea, if you install SSHd, that basically lets anyone connect to the computer & use a terminal.
sounds like his HD is dying to me, might be worthwhile getting a cheap s/hand drive from somewhere.. Ubuntu should boot of a CD and be installed and booting in around 40 mins...
Old 07-07-08, 03:05 PM   #8
startrek.steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonidea View Post
Wow you can do that?!

The pc is now mine at my house so I can do whatever the hell I want with it!

How do I open a terminal...?
Where do you live mate? anywhere near the naughty north?
Old 08-07-08, 09:01 AM   #9
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by startrek.steve View Post
sounds like his HD is dying to me, might be worthwhile getting a cheap s/hand drive from somewhere.. Ubuntu should boot of a CD and be installed and booting in around 40 mins...
I've talked a friend in the US through exactly how to remedy the situation. The latest version of Ubuntu has a known issue whereby /etc/fstab can be corrupt, and therefore lead to "BusyBox" being displayed on boot - stating that the device can't be found/mounted etc etc.

T'is a pretty easy fix, but without the details for the device in Linux, I can't give specifics. You can't really rely on the error messages so far posted in this thread either, as if /etc/fstab is corrupt, there's a chance the it's trying to mount the wrong device.
Old 08-07-08, 01:28 PM   #10
K

Schlagen sie es mit einem hammer.

Well - everyone else seemed to be speaking in a foriegn language I thught I would too.