SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-02-05, 08:38 PM   #1
BURNER

Default Trackdays 105 db?........ 98db????

I've been looking at trackdays and see they all seem to have a 105 db noise limit.
If so how the smeg do I know if my zorst is less than that before I pay me hard earned wedge?

I was looking at Croft, Oulton park and Rockingham. All have the 105 db restriction.
Mind you I see others have a 98db limit!

http://www.trackdays.co.uk/calendar/bike.htm
Old 15-02-05, 10:24 PM   #2
SV-Sexy-virgin?

i would say to fone the manufactur of the can is it not printed onnit??

gricey
Old 15-02-05, 10:34 PM   #3
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: Trackdays 105 db?........ 98db????

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner
I've been looking at trackdays and see they all seem to have a 105 db noise limit.
If so how the smeg do I know if my zorst is less than that before I pay me hard earned wedge?

I was looking at Croft, Oulton park and Rockingham. All have the 105 db restriction.

If you are that worried cant you put your standard can back on ?

As for getting it measured I'm not sure, do you know anybody with a decibel meter that you could borrow, I am sure that one of the nokia phones has a Db meter on it

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-05, 08:43 AM   #4
Balky001
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by burner

If you are that worried cant you put your standard can back on ?

As for getting it measured I'm not sure, do you know anybody with a decibel meter that you could borrow, I am sure that one of the nokia phones has a Db meter on it
Remember that the tracks usually measure Db's at a certain rpm from a certain distance - so sticking the db meter next to your exhaust and revving it will give you too high a reading (I think someone on the website rated their's a 119db's! doing it this way)

Best to call the 98db tracks like Donington and ask them how they measure it.
Old 16-02-05, 10:26 AM   #5
Liam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balky001
Remember that the tracks usually measure Db's at a certain rpm from a certain distance - so sticking the db meter next to your exhaust and revving it will give you too high a reading (I think someone on the website rated their's a 119db's! doing it this way)

Darley Moor track measures with a professional decibel meter 1' away, parallel with your can. You have to hold the revs steady at a level dependent on engine type (for a V-Twin it's at 4k) while they measure for their 98 Db limit (and they're strict - 2 out of 23 bikes were refused on my day, with no refund)

Liam
Old 16-02-05, 10:50 AM   #6
Grinch

Well just take both cans, it only takes a minute to swap them over if you fail.
I think also som nokia phones have a DB meter in them that got up to 115DB. The 6250 I think, its not the same but it would give you a good idea of how close it was.
Old 16-02-05, 10:51 AM   #7
Balky001
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balky001

Darley Moor track measures with a professional decibel meter 1' away, parallel with your can. You have to hold the revs steady at a level dependent on engine type (for a V-Twin it's at 4k) while they measure for their 98 Db limit (and they're strict - 2 out of 23 bikes were refused on my day, with no refund)
Liam
That's strict - Donington does a similar test but it's several feet away. But they also chuck you off although they often have Scorpian Exhaust reps arround to try and lower the liimit by offering removable baffles for all sorts of cans, or padding it out.
Old 16-02-05, 10:06 PM   #8
Mike1234

Oi, shouldn't you be using www.biketrackdays.co.uk to look up your prospective track days? Much better sit ebut I am a bit biased.

Don't worry too much about the actual dB limit. If you go to Castle Combe you will need the standard can.

If you go to Donington you will need to check whether it is a quiet or noisy day. On a quiet day you will need the standard can.

Last year Brands GP dates were either noisy or quiet although none of the organisers actually told anyone!

Most of the MSV circuits will be enforcing their noise policy but in almost all instances a race can should pass the noise tests.
Old 16-02-05, 11:40 PM   #9
BURNER

Cheers for the replies.
Think I'll go for a 105db day and keep my race can on.
Old 18-02-05, 02:01 AM   #10
northwind
Mega Poster

if it's a reasonably local place you're going ot, you could pop over one day and have them check it...
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote