SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-07-12, 08:53 PM   #1
dyzio
Mega Poster

Default GoPro Hero and vibrations - where do you mount yours?

Evening all,
I got myself an HD Hero 2 cam, but struggling to find a place to fit it due to the vibrations I'm getting :/

Curious as to where do peeps mount theirs and which mounts are you using.

Bare in mind rendering and YT do make the footage a bit smoother. So far I've tried:

1) Handlebar mount on the base of the mirror:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBnJIdIoVBw

2) Suction mount on the front fairing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW-Ii0LwdTo

3) Handlebar mount on the top yoke - least vibrations, but at an angle and restricted view due to the screen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siBumIR6EEc
dyzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-12, 09:46 PM   #2
pinpoint_uk

My mate uses a few, main one is on his helmet and looks great. Try youtube and type 'k6 gsxr testing' and that gives an idea. Most people seem to prefer helmet mountings.

Rich

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 24-07-12, 10:40 PM   #3
dyzio
Mega Poster

Default Re: GoPro Hero and vibrations - where do you mount yours?

Can't find that particular one but found some others
Old 24-07-12, 10:56 PM   #4
pinpoint_uk

Cool - try his username, Vasquez80 I think it is. Some good vids and tbh his editing is pretty neat.

Rich

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 26-07-12, 06:45 PM   #5
dyzio
Mega Poster

Next try, 3m pad on the side fairing.
Still too shaky
4) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-F-C...ature=youtu.be

3m pad on the side of the helmet - better, but you can't hold your head still :/, You can also feel the helmet being pushed to one side due to the wind resistance at higher speeds :/
5) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzkEK...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by dyzio; 26-07-12 at 07:28 PM.
Old 26-07-12, 07:11 PM   #6
christopher

I'm yet to try mine on my helmet, am put off by the bulk and wind resistance. And also the simple fact that I tilt/twist my head a lot so it'd often be looking really low while I look out of the top of my eyes and visor.

So far have a 3M pad on the front fairing (next to the mirror mount), and a 3M pad on the rear tail section (in true MotoGP style). The rear doesn't cause as much vibration as the front (which is terrible once the throttle is opened) but I'm not a huge fan of the viewing position so don't really use it.

The one position I do like, is mounted using the suction cup on the tank pointing through the screen. Personally love the viewing angle of that and it keep it pretty stationary being protected from wind blast etc. But it has two downsides, the first I can live with but would rather not, which is to use the stock clear screen instead of my nice dark tint PUIG double bubble. The second isn't liveable though, as it shows the clocks. Not that I ever go above the speed limit occifer...

Also have a RAM mount with tripod adaptor, and a Telferizer which puts the RAM mount in the yokes. It nice and stable but has the same downside as above re: the clocks, and it also moves with the handlebars and I prefer a completely static viewing position of the camera if possible.

Don't think I'll ever find a position I'm totally happy with for it at this rate!
christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-12, 07:12 PM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

dyz. unless you can mechanically decouple the cam from the bike the you are always going to get shake. here is an interesting one, those Staedtler white rubbers are made of a substance (Sorbothane) that is used in isolation rubber (try bouncing one) it's a weird substance that quashes vibration its used in so called HiFi products to isolate equipment from external vibration. it may reduce the vibrations but i very much doubt that it will but you could always try sticking a bit to the cam housing or using it to isolate the cam.

don't stick cams to fairing surfaces as the surface vibrates and shakes, try instead to mount it somewhere solid like a crash bung or the frame but not any part that is directly coupled to the engine e.g. bolts that go from frame to engine.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-12, 07:20 PM   #8
dyzio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher View Post
Iwhich is to use the stock clear screen instead of my nice dark tint PUIG double bubble. The second isn't liveable though, as it shows the clocks. Not that I ever go above the speed limit occifer...
The top yoke mount clip is shot through a light tint screen, and does not show the speedo.

True, wouldn't work with a dark screen, and if your clocks layout will show the speedo... we wouldn't want that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
mount it somewhere solid like a crash bung
That's the next plan, just need to get the rollcage mount.
Old 26-07-12, 07:21 PM   #9
maviczap
Mega Poster

Think Seggons had his mounted to the frame or crash bung on his SV, I know you don't have an SV now, but Bib's advice is in the right direction
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-12, 07:25 PM   #10
dyzio
Mega Poster

As far as I'm aware, Seggons had a separate lens and recorder kit.

I had one of them for a while, but the quality was poor (different model to Seg). Didn't have problems with vibrations when the lens was mounted under the nose cone on two suction mounts.