SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 10-06-12, 05:43 PM   #11
Bluepete
Mega Poster

Default Re: Anyone had Grunty's BBQ ribs? Homemade smoker : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntygiggles View Post
Well, I can't share my actual rib recipe...Stretch has just said a big fat NO, wo you can either order some from me and just cover cost & postage OR...I can give you just a basic rub recipe. My rub took me 6 years to get to where it is now, so if you like making your own stuff, I could give you the basics for you to play around
Basics then please. I like to play with food!

Pete
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-12, 06:41 PM   #12
the white rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntygiggles View Post
My rub took me 6 years to get to where it is now,
Phnaaar!

Grass needs a cut.
Old 10-06-12, 06:52 PM   #13
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsmith View Post
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMMMMMM

I wish I had the space
You do my son, you do oh and Pete, go to butchers, buy ribs, put rub on, leave overnight, put in smoker for several days and use the perfectly cooked ribs to smother the super secret sauce all over yer face and shirt

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Look right-> <-Look Left

Last edited by _Stretchie_; 10-06-12 at 06:55 PM.
_Stretchie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-12, 06:59 PM   #14
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Stretch

I would be chucked out the house for putting one of them in the yard! I wish I hadn't seen the pic on FB then checked here

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-12, 08:37 PM   #15
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepete View Post
Basics then please. I like to play with food!

Pete
Basic dry rub that will suit any meat you put on the BBQ is:-

1 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup white sugar ( I use caster as reacts better with the meat for marination)
1/4 cup paprika (or 3/4 cup smoked paprika if you are cooking in an oven)
1/4 cup table salt...sounds a lot, but you need it
2 tbsp ground black pepper
2 tbsp onion powder
2 tbsp garlic powder (not garlic salt)

Make sure the onion powder and garlic powder is proper powder...not granules.

Play around as I did. I have a few more things that go in mine, but the bext thing about doing it yourself from a basic blueprint is that when you reckon you've got it right...it's all down to you

For cooking, try an get the silverskin (shiney membrane) off the back of the rack of ribs. Best way to do it is get the end of a table knife (not sharp or pointed) under the membrane at one end. Get your finger in the gap and make a bit of a pocket, then, using kitchen towel to get a grip, grab the loose membrane and just pull it all off. It takes a bit of a tug, but it is really worth the effort as it is much nicer to eat ribs without this on.

Now, if you are smoking, you only need a thin dusting of rub on both sides as the smoke flavour will do the rest for you. If however you are cooking in an oven, as in rub recipe...use smoked paprika to get the smoke flavour in there and rub a generous couple of dessert spoonfuls of rub on each side of each rack. Wrap in cling film, pop in fridge and forget about them for at least 4 hours, but overnight is best.

So, lets say that you left them in the fridge overnight...

Take out and allow 30 minutes to come to room temp while your oven preheats to between 100-120 degrees C.

Put the ribs, bone side down in a deep roasting pan or tray, dust on a little more rub (just a fine dusting) and pour about 1/4 inch of water or apple juice into the bottom of the pan. Cover very tightly with foil and pop in oven. If you want to eat at 7pm...pop them in at midday. Check after an hour and top up with a little water if needed. Same a couple of hours later and after 5 hours cooking time, remove the foil and carry on cooking. Keep an eye on the ribs now. What you want to look for to know that they are done and ready to eat is that the meat has started to shrink away from the bones and there is a bark on the ribs...ie, looks a bit burned. It should look burned...it should be a proper, crusty bark

When you see this, you can do one of two things. You can either smother the racks with BBQ sauce and leave to cook for another 10 minutes and serve...or you can just remove from oven and serve with freshly made warm BBQ sauce to pour all over.

You can rest the ribs of you want...but to be honest, when they have been cooked this low and slow, by the time you have removed them from the oven, sat them on the side for a few minutes while you get things together and then cut them to individual ribs, they will be perfect for eating.

I won't give a time like, they should cook for 6 hours or 7 hours as all racks will be different sizes, so go by the shrinkage and the bark and you can't go wrong

Let me know if you want a BBQ sauce recipe
Old 11-06-12, 09:16 AM   #16
Tara

Grunty's recipe for ribs is the best
Old 11-06-12, 09:34 AM   #17
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

It's amazing that I am still only 9 stone with the amount of this stuff I've eaten

; )

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, look at the smoke ring on these

Look right-> <-Look Left

Last edited by _Stretchie_; 11-06-12 at 09:37 AM.
_Stretchie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-12, 10:27 AM   #18
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Did a little test for Dan yesterday with the beef skirt (couldn't get decent brisket anywhere).

If you know your meat, you will know this, but if not...it is a very useful thing to know. Look at the middle picture above. There are a few strips of cut beef in the centre of the picture and a few in the bottom left corner.
The strips in the centre of the picture were cut with the grain of the meat, you can see this as you can see the muscle fibres are long and go from end to end.
The strips in the bottom left corner however were cut across the grain. This is to say that all of the tissue holding the muscle together has been cut through. You can see that there are no longer muscle fibres staying in long strips from end to end. Instead, you get what looks like a less tidy strip.

ALWAYS cut across the grain. As Stretchie found out last night. Cut with the grain and you have to apply a little force to pull the meat in two. Cut across the grain and the meat will just fall apart in your fingers...making it like butter when you put it in your mouth.

Just a little tip for anyone that didn't know this already. It makes a huge difference!
Old 11-06-12, 10:29 AM   #19
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara View Post
Grunty's recipe for ribs is the best
Wub you...now you just need to get yourself a smoker too
Old 11-06-12, 10:48 AM   #20
Tara

Your right i do