SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-08-22, 10:14 PM   #1
wrenchman

Default Suspension & brakes

Hi SV650.org members,

I just bought a MY 2000 SV650 with only 5000 miles on the clock as a project bike.

Being a newbie regarding this model, I'd like to know if you have recomendations ( that don't break the bank ) for a quite heavy guy like me ( 220 pounds ) riding fast on mountain & canyon roads in Europe.

Many cheers!
wrenchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-22, 06:00 AM   #2
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: Suspension & brakes

Welcome

There are a few suspension threads, this one has a table of shocks from other bikes with lengths etc:
https://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=139058

This next one is for insomniacs since it goes on for 51 pages:
https://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=137793
I haven't read it so I don't what they talked about for so many pages.

I recently bought a new shock for my Yam - Nitron, K-Tech, Maxton, M-shock, YSS all seem to be roughly in the £450-£550 range, more if you want a remote reservoir. The German shock (Wilbers) was more expensive for us in the UK. The advantage with buying new is that they will fit a spring according to your weight, disadvantage is price.

Brakes - the SV is known for having weak brakes - harder pads, braided lines all help. Some have changed the front end (forks from a GSXR) which gives better front suspension and brakes - "Bibio" is an excellent source of info on that.
Old 11-08-22, 09:03 AM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

there are a few options but best bang for bucks would be retro fitting a shock from another bike and some new springs and oil for the front.

only problem fitting a shock from another bike is that you will have to modify the battery box depending on the shock.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-22, 12:28 PM   #4
embee
Mega Poster

I have a 2001 SVS so the same model type.

The best bang for buck you could do is new fork springs to suit your weight and some appropriate oil for the spring rate. Personally I would always recommend going for linear rate springs, you know exactly what you've got. Buying "progressive" springs because someone somewhere said progressives are the way forward is fraught with difficulties, exactly what progressive rate have you got and where in the range are you using it? With linear you know what it is.
I use springs from K-tech
https://twsuspensiontech.co.uk/store...650-2000-16775

At your weight I'd suggest you'll need 9.0N/mm, possibly even more, but the stock springs are way too soft, somewhere round 7N/mm I believe.
I'd recommend Fuchs/Silkolene Maintain RSF fork oil, it has a good stability of viscosity with temperature (Viscosity Index VI). I'd suggest RSF 10W would do it, at least for a start, it's higher viscosity than many typical 10W oils from other makers.
I have 8.5N/mm springs and a mix of 7.5 and 10W RSF in mine and it's comfortable but not soft. I'm about 80kg/180 lbs.

Rear units I don't know about on the SV, but note that the end fittings are different for our type model than for later types so be cautious about recommendations from other bikes, they might not be the right pattern.
Old 10-10-22, 05:06 PM   #5
Toooldtodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
I have a 2001 SVS so the same model type.

The best bang for buck you could do is new fork springs to suit your weight and some appropriate oil for the spring rate. Personally I would always recommend going for linear rate springs, you know exactly what you've got. Buying "progressive" springs because someone somewhere said progressives are the way forward is fraught with difficulties, exactly what progressive rate have you got and where in the range are you using it? With linear you know what it is.
I use springs from K-tech
https://twsuspensiontech.co.uk/store...650-2000-16775

At your weight I'd suggest you'll need 9.0N/mm, possibly even more, but the stock springs are way too soft, somewhere round 7N/mm I believe.
I'd recommend Fuchs/Silkolene Maintain RSF fork oil, it has a good stability of viscosity with temperature (Viscosity Index VI). I'd suggest RSF 10W would do it, at least for a start, it's higher viscosity than many typical 10W oils from other makers.
I have 8.5N/mm springs and a mix of 7.5 and 10W RSF in mine and it's comfortable but not soft. I'm about 80kg/180 lbs.

Rear units I don't know about on the SV, but note that the end fittings are different for our type model than for later types so be cautious about recommendations from other bikes, they might not be the right pattern.

Agree. I'm only 75kgs and went for 8.5N/mm Ohlins linear and the same mix fork oil. Plush, but doesn't dive horribly. I also went for a Nitron "street" rear shock and it is like riding a magic carpet compared with stock. Despite the initial outlay it makes the bike an absolute delight to ride on our shocking roads (pun intended)

Last edited by Toooldtodie; 10-10-22 at 05:39 PM.
Toooldtodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-22, 09:43 PM   #6
wrenchman

Hi everybody!

I've chosen YSS progressive forksprings ( 65-090S330 ) and 15wt forkoil, a YSS MZ456-340 TR-14 shock ( 56-95-165 spring ) and Probrake braided brakelines, Lucas/TRW road/track sintered pads, a Rizoma superbike handlebar and CNC adjustable brake & clutch levers.

All the parts ( all new, with warranty & street legal ) set me back 650$ and some hours in my garage.
No I'm enjoying my real nice customized playbike that did cost in total 2150$.
I think that's a deal!

The only problem is that my wife likes the bike a lot too, but she's 80 lbs lighter ....
Looks like im having a new SV650 project

Last edited by wrenchman; 28-12-22 at 09:44 PM.
wrenchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-22, 02:09 PM   #7
GeorgeRYoung

Cartridge emulators for the forks:
http://web.ncf.ca/ag136/SV650/forkEmulators.html
Old 07-01-23, 01:26 PM   #8
redtrummy

Went a run the other day. Bike running on one cylinder (rear) most of the time. But ticks over without stalling. Thought I would swap ignition coils over to prove but I cannot locate them. Took airbox off and tried to follow Ht lead without success. Anyone know their location? Looks like the coils come with the Ht lead attached are they interchangeable anyway. Any words of wisdom greatly appreciated I do not consider myself a spanner man!

Sv650X
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-23, 02:27 PM   #9
redtrummy

Its amazing what a bit of sun through the window can do. located the coils but swapping them over does not look easy. Still welcome an words of wisdom on my way forward
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-23, 10:12 AM   #10
Bibio
Mega Poster

TBH i never recommend using progressive springs for the fact that you cant set the sag properly.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote