SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 18-08-22, 09:13 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Temporary traffic lights

Temporary traffic lights that are used for road works - do you wait at the red light if nothing is coming?

My friend tends not to wait and this morning, I noticed the van in front decide he'd waited long enough although they changed about 30 seconds after he'd gone through on red. Glancing in my mirror I watched the car travelling in the opposite direction not bother stopping at the red either.

I wait although the change time can sometimes seem interminable.
Old 18-08-22, 10:00 AM   #2
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Default Re: Temporary traffic lights

Yes, unless it is clear that the lights are stuck. Running a red light would be classed as dangerous driving, especially if it resulted in a collision. So I'm very wary of going through on Red, even if I can see everything is clear.

Many years ago temporary lights could be treated as a Give Way if you can see through them to the other light(s). That changed a long time ago and temporary lights have the same standing as permanent traffic lights now. Rule 109 of the highway code makes that clear.

"109
Traffic light signals and traffic signs. You MUST obey all traffic light signals (download ‘Light signals controlling traffic’) and traffic signs giving orders, including temporary signals & signs (download ‘Traffic signs’). Make sure you know, understand and act on all other traffic and information signs and road markings (download ‘Road markings’ and Vehicle markings’) .
Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10, 15, 16, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 36, 38 & 40"
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-22, 02:46 PM   #3
Craig380
Mega Poster

I used to run them if the other side was clear around 20 years ago but not any more, unless they're obviously borked as Luckypants said.

Too many self-appointed traffic cops with dashcams these days who are all too keen to upload to Operation Snap, I'm just not prepared to risk points for the sake of waiting a minute.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-22, 08:53 PM   #4
rowdy

Got pulled for it once, about 30 year ago.
I said to the copper that I was told you didn’t have to wait at a temporary red light if it was clear and the response was no, a red light is a red light, don’t do it again. On your way sonny.
Silver pointy sk3, tail tidy, single seat cowl, fairing lowers, smoke double bubble screen, carbon hugger and front mudguard, full race M4 system, K&N filter, GSXR1000K2 forks, wheel and discs, GSXR750 calipers, HEL braided lines, TL1000s clip-ons, Gilles rearsets, Chinese cnc levers, led indies.
rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote