SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-03-06, 12:21 PM   #1
JohnA

Default MOT and Scorpion Exhaust

First MOT due on a '02 S Model. I bought it 10 mnts old from the local dealer and it came with a scorpion can. No kite mark on the can. Can anyone tell me if the MOT center will have a problem with this? I do remember reading on this site some time ago that the rules had changed/relaxed.
Old 17-03-06, 12:56 PM   #2
Grinch

Not relaxed... its just the testers opinion now... does your scorpion have the extra baffle in it?

Look like this in the can...

If it didn't then the dealer sold you a bike with a non road legal can which is not allowed. So I'd go back to the dealer and demand them to sort it out.
Old 17-03-06, 01:08 PM   #3
Mr Toad

Borrow a baffle from a mate
Old 17-03-06, 01:30 PM   #4
DanAbnormal

As long as the can does not say "Not for road use" you'll be fine. They don't have to have a kitemark anymore but if it's stupendously loud (and I mean as loud as a SV with no can at all) then it should be fine. I've passed many bikes with full race systems and end cans no probs at many various test centres. If you have a baffle then all the better.
Old 17-03-06, 02:56 PM   #5
kwak zzr

does depend on the garage, ring around and see if anyone cuts you some slack.
Old 17-03-06, 03:22 PM   #6
lynw

You may find garages with the automatic MOT system won't pass a loud exhaust. Mine won't but to be fair they did warn me in advance to put the baffle back in.

Reason being if you ride away from the test centre and a VOSA inspector sees you and logs in to see a recent MOT pass on the system for your bike and registration they can wave goodbye to their testing status. After all how can they prove the baffle was in and you took it out before leaving?

Would offer to lend you mine but you're a tad far away. Even if I took it to Rosyth I suspect you're still a fair trek away.