SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 04-10-21, 06:56 PM   #10061
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

I'd suggest an island inhabited only by Kimodo dragons would be ideal. Bare hands only as defence.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-21, 10:23 PM   #10062
svenrico

Riding home this evening after a trip to the coast ,the sun was getting low in the sky and as my eyes suddenly started to sting and water for some reason ,and as my visor misted up the sun hit me full in the face and I couldn't see a thing. I stopped at the side of the road and hoped a car didn't ram me from behind. Setting off again after lifting the visor I continued slowly home getting ready to shield my eyes with my left hand when the sun came full on which it did a few more times. I have experienced it before but never as blinding as today, it was very scary. Maybe a helmet with a peak might be some help but it was a very alarming and dangerous motorcycling experience.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-21, 07:47 AM   #10063
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
Riding home this evening after a trip to the coast ,the sun was getting low in the sky and as my eyes suddenly started to sting and water for some reason ,and as my visor misted up the sun hit me full in the face and I couldn't see a thing. I stopped at the side of the road and hoped a car didn't ram me from behind. Setting off again after lifting the visor I continued slowly home getting ready to shield my eyes with my left hand when the sun came full on which it did a few more times. I have experienced it before but never as blinding as today, it was very scary. Maybe a helmet with a peak might be some help but it was a very alarming and dangerous motorcycling experience.
I have a strip of tape across the top of my visor for that reason. It's not low enough to interfere with my vision but acts like a sun visor in a car

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-21, 09:03 AM   #10064
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
welcome to the dry eye club. yes its a weird name for yours eyes watering

carry sunglasses (preferably photochromic) or a dark visor. i personally splashed the cash and got a photochromic pin lock, this coupled with the drop down visor on the shoei and it dont matter how bright it gets

some helmet manufacturers make full photochromic visors but they are eye watering expensive. see what i did there
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-21, 12:00 PM   #10065
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
I have a strip of tape across the top of my visor for that reason. It's not low enough to interfere with my vision but acts like a sun visor in a car

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Yes, thanks, I did that on my old helmet but haven't done it on my new helmet. Will do.
Old 05-10-21, 12:06 PM   #10066
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
welcome to the dry eye club. yes its a weird name for yours eyes watering

carry sunglasses (preferably photochromic) or a dark visor. i personally splashed the cash and got a photochromic pin lock, this coupled with the drop down visor on the shoei and it dont matter how bright it gets

some helmet manufacturers make full photochromic visors but they are eye watering expensive. see what i did there
I did drop the dark visor inside the helmet but it was all still blinding, but I wasn't wearing my anti refelective sunglasses which might have helped.
I don't know but sometimes when the sun hits you full on low in the sky it just blots out everything.
Old 06-10-21, 08:17 AM   #10067
redtrummy

Low sun is a real problem. Sister turned into it head on, and ran straight into a parked plumbers van. Luckily he was inside the back, it broke his arm but had he been outside it would have been curtains for him
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-21, 09:01 AM   #10068
ethariel

I watched an accident yesterday, I was coming up on the 5th petrol station in a hunt for the elusive and mythical Unleaded, I noticed 2 vans on the forecourt and an employee taking the out of service off some pumps so smartly indicated, slowed and pulled in.

The cage behind me must have been half asleep, soon as he realised i was pulling in, he hammered his brakes in order to make the slip onto the forecourt...... the cage behind that had no chance......

What's annoying was hearing the driver who stopped dead say to the person who went into the back of him 'I had to stop, im almost down to 3/4 of a tank left!'
ethariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-21, 09:23 PM   #10069
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethariel View Post
I watched an accident yesterday, I was coming up on the 5th petrol station in a hunt for the elusive and mythical Unleaded, I noticed 2 vans on the forecourt and an employee taking the out of service off some pumps so smartly indicated, slowed and pulled in.

The cage behind me must have been half asleep, soon as he realised i was pulling in, he hammered his brakes in order to make the slip onto the forecourt...... the cage behind that had no chance......

What's annoying was hearing the driver who stopped dead say to the person who went into the back of him 'I had to stop, im almost down to 3/4 of a tank left!'
and it would be considered the fault of the driver who ran into the back of the other car for insurance purposes !
Old 07-10-21, 08:17 AM   #10070
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
and it would be considered the fault of the driver who ran into the back of the other car for insurance purposes !

If the accident happened on private property ( owned by oil company or franchisee )- could get messy, same with accidents on supermarket and private carparks - both parties could lose their no-claims if they go through insurance.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote