SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-01-06, 08:49 AM   #1
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Wet Front Plug

Hi

I had my bike do the one pot two pot shuffle again on Sunday

Yesterday morning it wouldnt run properly at all. So I took the HT lead off and cleaned out all the water, cleaned it up with WD40 and then refitted the HT lead and rubber grommet and then it ran fine a lot better. I made sure I put the rubber grommet back in properly and I also dabbed some grease over the gromet and the lead to hopefully stop it happening again till I get myself a fenda extenda.

As I rode to work this morning ( 2 miles max, wet roads but not raining ) it proceeded to cut out the front plug again.

I cant see how its got water in it again after such a short journey, however I am wandering if I didnt get the HT lead and the plug completely dry before I put it back together and overnight some more water has condensed in the HT lead and this is why its cut out again.

Any help or ideas greatly appreciated

thanks

Fizz

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-06, 09:03 AM   #2
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Mine went through a stage of doing the same. I cleaned it all out and dried it all off for a second time and made 100% sure that the cap was pushed firmly on the plug in the correct orientation. I also made sure that the rear plug cap was pressed firmly home as well. Didn't have any further problems from then on. I haven't got (or didn't have) a fender extender, and everything worked fine even in the ****ing rain.

With any luck that will that will sort it. Hopefully it is not the HT leads degrading. £50 each IIRC because they are integrated with the coil.

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-06, 09:18 AM   #3
tinpants
Ubique

Fizz, your plug lead could be shorting out in the wet. See if its fouling the bodywork anywhere then try to insulate it a bit. Plug leads can break down or degrade over time so this may be worth investigating.

Nick.
Old 11-01-06, 08:18 PM   #4
northwind
Mega Poster

Pop down to Maplin and buy a tube of the Servisol silicon grease, the non-conductive stuff. £2.99... Pull the lead again, get it completely dry, splatch it all around the seal, put it back in. I bunged up the drain hole too but that's maybe neither necessary nor wise That's 100% protection until you next remove the lead.

It could be other stuff but if it was wet inside then I don't think there's much need to look elsewhere...
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-06, 10:45 PM   #5
Iansv

mine didn't do it for over 18months, but once it started it got quite common, fender extender is a garaunteed fix afaic
Old 12-01-06, 08:06 PM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

But costs 7 times more than the grease, and is (arguably) harder to fit and (arguably) very very ugly. Then again, the Extenda can help protect the radiator, and keep your engine a little cleaner.
Old 12-01-06, 09:05 PM   #7
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

thanks for the tip Northwind.

I need a reliable bike at the moment, so I've ordered a fenda extenda, I might experiement with the grease thing when I have a bit more time and inclination to do so.

As for the look I agree they look ugly, but needs must at the moment, as I dont have a car at the moment as somebody drove in the back of it at the weekend and it looks like its going to be written off

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-06, 09:08 PM   #8
northwind
Mega Poster

Don't get me wrong, Extenda's a good mod, especially for a commuter. I used to have one with the SV front, but I've not fitted one with the GSXR muddy (and it's even less effective than the SV one) so my engine's always absolutely fetid. Just can't bring myself to reuglify the bike
Old 12-01-06, 09:18 PM   #9
Vfr400

You might of thought that after what? nearly 7 years of production, Suzuki would have made the fender longer or at least had a longer version as an optional extra so you could have the protection without the added on bit look.

chris
Old 13-01-06, 04:30 AM   #10
Graham

Quote:
I need a reliable bike at the moment, so I've ordered a fenda extenda, I might experiement with the grease thing when I have a bit more time and inclination to do so.
It takes 5 minutes to pull the front plug cap and get some electrical grease in there. Mines been working fine like this for 5 years. A lot easier than stuffing around with one of those things