SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 26-12-13, 12:23 PM   #1
MichaelM

Default Bike stolen on Christmas Day, help!

My bike was stolen on Christmas night between 2am and 10am, it was stored on my front garden behind a wall (takes two people and about 10 mins to get it on the road if you know what you're doing). They managed to get it about 100 metres into an alleyway in which they cut the wiring loom to try and hotwire it, snapped the top yoke and smashed the tank (huge crack).

I'm absolutely gutted. Spent my whole summer saving in my min wage job to afford this bike, and they've gone ruined it.

My question is, will the insurance pay out (I'm TPFT) even though the bike has been recovered?

Cheers lads, Merry Christmas
Old 26-12-13, 12:34 PM   #2
Specialone

Default Re: Bike stolen on Christmas Day, help!

Bugger

Not sure tbh, something I've never had to do, did you report it?
Problem is, I'm assuming you're a young rider? To claim on a bike TPFT will probably hike your insurance next year I'd imagine, so you're screwed both ways.
Old 26-12-13, 12:39 PM   #3
MichaelM

It was funny actually, My mum went out this morning and thought "where's the bike?" and as she started to panic, a police woman was trying to find our house to tell us it'd been reported sitting in an alleyway. So its reported.

Yeah I'm 19, so I ain't got the money to just go out and get another.

I'm looking at £500 repairs out of my own pocket (ebay second hand prices). I've just spent 3 weeks getting it in for MOT condition, just passed it 3 days ago.
Old 26-12-13, 01:30 PM   #4
Red Herring
Mega Poster

That's really tough on you mate, as you say those little 5hits have screwed you either way. What bike is it?
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-13, 02:05 PM   #5
MichaelM

tell me about it, its a K6 SV650.
Old 26-12-13, 04:12 PM   #6
Red Herring
Mega Poster

If it's the S model with clip on bars I've got a top yoke from a K5 that you can have for free, just PM me an address to post it to and you should be able to get someone with a bit of skill and patience to solder all the wiring back together for you. That leaves the tank, when you say a crack it's a metal tank and they don't normally crack, is it a dent where they have stuck a lever in behind the ignition? If so that will be at the front of the tank which is only airbox cover, the fuel bit is at the back where your nuts are!
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-13, 04:27 PM   #7
MichaelM

Well its was the S model but the previous owner converted it to a naked. So its got a faired yoke with holes drilled in i think? If its not too much trouble pal, i'll pay for postage as well.

Here's a link to the photos of the damage.

http://imgur.com/a/mrCKZ
Old 26-12-13, 04:31 PM   #8
atassiedevil

Whereabouts are you fella? That'll help people help you.

If you're close enough i can get over, i'm happy to try and sort the wiring for you. Gas powered soldering irons have their uses.

I had two bikes stolen earlier this year, one recovered but beyond economical repair. I know how much that hurts.

As it's an S then the top yoke you've just been offered should fit fine. that's part of your problem resolved.

If you're too far away someone on here has the service manuals in PDF, with the wiring diagrams if you ask nicely. This will help go a long way to fix things.

Looking at the damage about an hour with a soldering iron and some heatshrink should get it running again. The thieves obviously don't know what they're doing.

Get it secured too. Once it's running again they WILL be back.

Last edited by atassiedevil; 26-12-13 at 04:33 PM.
Old 26-12-13, 04:48 PM   #9
MichaelM

I'm in wolverhampton so I doubt you'll be able to come up haha! Hopefully the insurance pays out - but it looks iffy. Thanks for all the offers and that guys. Would the S top yoke work as long as I drilled holes in it? That's what seems to be what the previous owner had done.
Old 26-12-13, 04:49 PM   #10
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Sorry to here that.

The loom is repairable, seen little 5h1ts do far much more damage to hotwire it.
The most expensive part will be the tank, £160 notes is the cheapest on ebay

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote