SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-06-14, 07:37 PM   #1
ZER0

Default How do I adjust the chain?

Hi peeps.

I need to adjust my chain as it's a bit loose. Got a fair bit of slack in the middle of the chain, but if you try and pull it off the rear sprocket it doesn't move.

This seems like a simple job. But, as I'm a complete newbie, I didn't want to get half way through, or start undoing important things like wheels, and find out I should be doing something more/different.

Is it just a case of loosen the two big nuts either side of the swing arm, then turn the two smaller ones at the rear equal amounts (I'm guessing half a turn at a time while alternating sides should do it?) then when the chain seems right, just do the two big ones back up?

I've just searched 'chain' and could be there years looking for what I need!

A simple question really, but I don't want to get it wrong.

Thanks in advance, you're all amazing
Old 04-06-14, 07:58 PM   #2
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Default Re: Newbie Chain Question

There needs to be 3cm of vertical movement in the middle of the lower run of the chain,so dont adjust it to less than that.
As for doing the job it depends on the bike model,but essentially you need to lossen off the rear wheel spindle nut and adjust the two bolts on the end of the swingarm.Both the same as you said,but you will only need a very small amount of turn,like about a quarter or less.On a curvy you need to slack off the caliper tie rod as well.
Old 04-06-14, 09:06 PM   #3
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Default Re: Newbie Chain Question

Pretty much as you say however just a few tips.

Check the chain tension with the bike vertical sat on it's wheels. As the suspension extends it can affect the tension so the best way is to sit on the bike with your feet on the ground, and reach down and check the centre of the lower run of the chain moves up and down about an inch (or get a mate to sit on the bike whilst you do it). Then roll the bike forward a foot or two and check again, and repeat once more. The reason for this is that chains can develop tight spots and the trick is to adjust it at it's tightest point.

You will need a big spanner (socket set ideally) to undo the spindle nut, just loosen it enough to move the wheel on the adjusters, not completely. You ought to use a torque wrench to tighten it back up afterwards, but if you haven't got one don't go completely mad, snug is good enough.

Finally, do all the adjustments after you have ridden the bike far enough to warm the chain up, not when it's been left a week! Cold chains are often tight as it only takes a tiny bit of friction in each link for them not to straighten completely as they come off the front sprocket and it soon adds up.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 12:24 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: How do I adjust the chain?

go to your nearest Suzuki dealer and ask them to show you.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-14, 08:03 PM   #5
ZER0

Well, I tried to do this today.

The main nut, on the left of the swing arm (it's a k6 pointy), was so tight I can't undo it! I tried spraying with a lubricating spray, but no luck. It was actually moving the silver bracket that attaches to the swing arm instead of undoing!

Looks like I'll be taking it to the Suzuki garage after all. Thanks for the replies
Old 07-06-14, 08:38 PM   #6
Red Herring
Mega Poster

The silver bracket should just move a few degrees, it's only a metal plate with a 90 degree angle in it and there is usually a bit of clearance that allows it to move. The nut should be about 50 F/lb which is fairly tight, but not impossible unless you're using that stupid two piece spanner about 8" long that comes in some tool kits!
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-14, 08:53 PM   #7
Bluefish

Put a bar on the wrench and use some muscle, the bigger the spanner the easier it is lol
Old 08-06-14, 12:23 PM   #8
ZER0

It's not the spanner. It's quite a big one. (That's what she said!)

The bracket is moving, and damaging/gouging the swing arm! I'm guessing the previous owner was worried the wheel might fall off.
Old 08-06-14, 01:06 PM   #9
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Default How do I adjust the chain?

Yeah that's a common issue, one of the engineering gods on here made up some proper replacements for orgers, think it was Bibio??

Anyway those are way better than the cheesium ones that come from the factory
Old 08-06-14, 03:49 PM   #10
punyXpress
Mega Poster

. . . and when you've tightened the axle nut, check the chain again - it can tighten up when you do the nut up