SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 28-04-08, 09:10 PM   #1
Blue_SV650S

Default Key Workers

Ok, we have a few of the old bill, nurses and teachers on the mighty .org

I have looked on the website and it is not totally clear if I could get key workers for a house move (bearing in mind I am thinking of becoming a teacher).

Basically I want a more fancy house ... I don't NEED it, but why not .. it is known as progression and something I originally had planned in the near future and would do if I took another normal (for me) job

Now if I took a teaching job, with todays house prices and teacher pay, I can kiss that dream goodbye

So it crossed my mind ...

Is Key workers open to every key worker, or just those that don't already own a property??

I see you can upgrade if you suddenly have a family, but what if I just want to upgrade?!!??

Basically if I could upgrade under Key Workers then I don't mind so much I'd be taking a pay cut to become a teacher ...

Anyone got any experience of this!?!?

Last edited by Blue_SV650S; 28-04-08 at 09:27 PM.
Old 28-04-08, 09:19 PM   #2
rob13

Default Re: Key Workers

none, i never used it
Old 28-04-08, 09:22 PM   #3
wow

There's something on the Housing Corporation's website (cut & paste). Not really that clear. Maybe you could be ok as long as you sell your existing house (last bullet point).

Here's another link. You have to phone a homebuy agent apparently.
http://www.communities.gov.uk/housin...yworkerliving/

2.2.5 To be able to participate in the KWL programme all applicants must be employed in a qualifying post as listed (follow asterisk for full list) and must:
  • be unable to buy/ rent a home {suitable for their household needs LINK TO NBHB 1.4.3 Guidance} within a reasonable travel to work area of their employment.
  • have a household income that does not exceed £60K (except for applicants who applied for the London Challenge Teacher programme prior to 1 April 2006 whose household income must not exceed £80K)
  • be first time buyers or existing home owners who need to move home to meet their household needs.
  • sell their existing property if they own one.
Old 28-04-08, 09:26 PM   #4
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by wow View Post
  • be unable to buy/ rent a home {suitable for their household needs LINK TO NBHB 1.4.3 Guidance} within a reasonable travel to work area of their employment.
  • have a household income that does not exceed £60K (except for applicants who applied for the London Challenge Teacher programme prior to 1 April 2006 whose household income must not exceed £80K)
  • be first time buyers or existing home owners who need to move home to meet their household needs.
Humm, but if I sold my house (and didn't move to a vastly more expensive area) then I'd be able to buy, or at least rent another one (point one) ...

The last point is promising, but a bit too ambiguous I feel ...
Old 28-04-08, 09:27 PM   #5
gettin2dizzy

Set up a company and sign the house over to it?
Old 28-04-08, 09:29 PM   #6
rigor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wow View Post

2.2.5 To be able to participate in the KWL programme all applicants must be employed in a qualifying post as listed (follow asterisk for full list) and must:
I'd read that paragraph as you have to fulfil ALL the points, rather than one of them. And I'm not sure that they'd count voluntary homelessness as a valid reason (Selling your house, so you could get the benefits)
Old 28-04-08, 09:34 PM   #7
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigor View Post
I'd read that paragraph as you have to fulfil ALL the points, rather than one of them. And I'm not sure that they'd count voluntary homelessness as a valid reason (Selling your house, so you could get the benefits)
Yeah, I think you are probably right there ...

So in short NO is my answer

So bearing in mind it seems they are crying out for male primary teachers, with shocking pay and no benefits, how are they enticing me to become a key-worker?!?!? .. and they wonder why they can't fill the posts/quota!!

Last edited by Blue_SV650S; 28-04-08 at 09:36 PM.
Old 28-04-08, 09:36 PM   #8
rigor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
Yeah, I think you are probably right there ...

So in short NO is my answer
But, you could tie it in with your "other" goal for this employment.... shack up with a teacher, use HER Key workers benefit to get a nice big house, then split up...... long term planning
Old 28-04-08, 09:37 PM   #9
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigor View Post
But, you could tie it in with your "other" goal for this employment.... shack up with a teacher, use HER Key workers benefit to get a nice big house, then split up...... long term planning
Cunning!!

But she would take half of everything, which lets face it, will prolly leave me short changed ...

Now what I need is 8 illegitimate kids of my own, then I wouldn't need to work at all and be on a kings ransom!! So spreading my seed amongst 8 or more yummy mummies seems a better plan

Unless they end up keeping them all and I have to pay 8 sets of maintenance Ok, feck that idea too!!

Last edited by Blue_SV650S; 28-04-08 at 09:42 PM.
Old 28-04-08, 10:41 PM   #10
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
Now what I need is 8 illegitimate kids of my own, then I wouldn't need to work at all and be on a kings ransom!! So spreading my seed amongst 8 or more yummy mummies seems a better plan

Unless they end up keeping them all and I have to pay 8 sets of maintenance Ok, feck that idea too!!
Well now you've signed on and are in the scrounger dolescum mentality, that's actually not too big a step.

I've acted for a few 'key workers' and the scheme isn't really affordable and plonks you in places you probably wouldn't want to live anyway.