SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 30-05-06, 09:12 AM   #1
timwilky
Mega Poster

Default Night workers

OK, my neighbours are paramedics, he works the ERV and therefore is full time days, 12 hour shifts, 8-8 during the week or 11-11 Friday - Sunday. She however is on the meat wagons so this means nights. Last night being one of them. I saw her come in this morning bleary eyed at about 8 am.

Their next door neighbour has just had a load of building material delivered in a 38 ton curtain sider and had 6 pallets of brick and 6 grab bags of MOT/harcore plus god knows how many of sand offloaded by fork lift.

The noise was horrendous. I feel for the poor girl, 30 minutes of engine revving, every time the forklift moved there was a siren sounding. We even heard her bedroom widow slamming as she made her point.

When my wife had to work nights as a nurse, we used to put up a sign on the front door to say Nurse on night duty sleeping, don't disturb. You would have thought half the world was illiterate. Especially postmen who wanted deliveries signing for.

On those days when I have over indulged on the previous evening and staggered in with the sun shinning I have always sympathised with night workers as you try to sleep and the world conspires against you.

So please if you know your neighbours to be sleeping, don't mow your lawns. leave you baffles in etc.
Old 30-05-06, 09:18 AM   #2
the_runt69

Having done at least one week in 3,(now one week in 4) of nights I know where your coming from, dont mind the usual mowers, kids etc but the out of the ordinary like you say really puts a spanner in the works. Its bad enough trying to sleep in aylight without theadded noise of somebody doing a bit of building. But we night workers are in the minority and people have to live their "normal lives" so we put up with it.

H
Old 30-05-06, 09:21 AM   #3
quikstu

I too am a shift worker & come nightshift, thankfully, could sleep through a bomb going off!

Old 30-05-06, 09:21 AM   #4
BigDog

Have you got some spare ear plugs you can let her have?
I feel for her.....

but I cant find her
Old 30-05-06, 09:27 AM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

Fair play though, your neighbours have the right to have stuff delivered and work done too. What are they supposed to do, cancel the delivery, tell the builders to come back later? They'd still need to pay for it all and would be left with their work not getting done.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-06, 12:10 PM   #6
Stingo

One time, when I was on a night shift and when we lived in 'Married Quarters', I'd had my head down for a couple of hours when some t@sser decided that he had to measure MY bedroom window there & then (he was unable to 'come back later') as the windows were being upgraded to double glazing...which was nice.

****!

And I was VERRRRYYYy tired.
Old 30-05-06, 04:19 PM   #7
Jabba

Difficult situation and I'm sure they do a good job.

Unfortunately for them, though, they are in the minority and 8:00am to 6:00pm Monday to Friday are considered "normal working hours" by us and the Courts (I work in Pollution Control for the lcoal authority).

The alternative would be no-one doing anything ever.

No reason not to try to be considerate, though.
Old 30-05-06, 04:46 PM   #8
amarko5

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
Fair play though, your neighbours have the right to have stuff delivered and work done too. What are they supposed to do, cancel the delivery, tell the builders to come back later? They'd still need to pay for it all and would be left with their work not getting done.

Being a nightshift worker myself , I dissagree with your comments :P

they should have consulted with her, and organised the building work when she was on dayshift :P

(take it with the pinch of NaCI it was intended )
Old 30-05-06, 05:51 PM   #9
northwind
Mega Poster

See, if it was me, I'd try and do that, because that's the sort of shining (I said shiNing) example I am... Who knows, maybe they did too and it fell through
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-06, 07:07 PM   #10
mysteryjimbo

I did over two years of nights (1 in 3) when i worked as a forklift driver. I'd not have expected anyone to arrange things around my working life. Things need doing.

I would expect certain things like mowing the lawn etc, things that can wait a day or so to be considered as i would have done myself.

As for postmen needing things signing for, if you know your going to be on nights and dont like being woke up, wait a week to order it! Its rare things get delivered you dont know about.