SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-02-10, 09:56 PM   #1
ceeshaw

Default CASHBACK for reporting parking offences?

Wtf?!!

I received a Parking Charge Notice today. I park my bike behind the bank where I work in a dead quiet little alley, which also acts as fire escape from the surrounding shops. The alley is not large enough for cars, but wide enough for my bike with room for movement of wheelie bins in and out. I park considerately, right up against the building. The alley has a key code gate where it leads onto the service area of the neighbouring shopping centre. The service area is obviously a no parking zone and well marked as such.

The company that manages the service area zone - Flashpark - has issued the ticket. Advice on the net is don't pay and don't initiate any correspondence. I plan to follow this advice.

My 'wtf' moment came when I visited their website where they offer £10 cashback to anyone who issues a PCN which is then paid!!!

You cannot even see my bike from the service area as the alley is almost 'Z' shaped - you have to walk well into it to even see me parked around the corner. Someone's snitched on me for a tenner!!
Old 19-02-10, 10:09 PM   #2
G
Mega Poster

Default Re: CASHBACK for reporting parking offences???

To be fair you really shouldn't be blocking an emergency exit route regardless.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-10, 10:28 PM   #3
ian505050

just say you broke down, they ask for proof, make a fake recipte for some parts purchased, e-mail it to them then they let you off
ian505050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-10, 11:31 PM   #4
carternd

Just do sod all, see if they can be bothered to chase you. And if you find out who fingered you, catch 'em in the alley and kick 'em in the wedding tackle! What an ar*eh*le!
Old 19-02-10, 11:53 PM   #5
Ed

This is surely enforceable as a contract only, so question is - will they sue you...
Old 20-02-10, 10:28 AM   #6
madnlooney

Quote:
My 'wtf' moment came when I visited their website where they offer £10 cashback to anyone who issues a PCN which is then paid!!!
This makes me think they know they cant enforce the fine and if someone doesnt know this, then pays they are happy with the free cash and give a tenner out
Old 20-02-10, 10:35 AM   #7
Neeja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
This is surely enforceable as a contract only, so question is - will they sue you...
This is exactly how they work. My ex- had a ticket from a company doing exactly the same as these guys, and they bluster and send letters and will do just about anything to make you think that you're going to go to court over it...right up to the point where you tell them, "Go on then".

At that point they disappear because they have no way of proving that you knowingly entered into the contract (in the case of my ex-, their sign advising of their terms was on a 10ft high pole, obscured by a tree so it wasn't even visible), and even if they somehow "prove" that, they can't prove that the amount they're invoicing for is proportional to the loss they suffered.

Best thing to do is completely ignore them. They go away...eventually.
Old 20-02-10, 01:07 PM   #8
disco

do you still park there?
disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-10, 03:08 PM   #9
ceeshaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco View Post
do you still park there?
No, didn't today. Will need to do a recce and find another spot. Someone's obviously pi55ed off that I park there and their next move could well be a cigarette burn through my seat! There's quite a bit of permit free street parking, but I just know some div would reverse into my bike and I'd find it on the floor at 5.30.

This is where I parked -- I was not obstructing any fire escape, in fact there are no 'Fire Exit - Keep Clear' signs in sight: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=...,0.003433&z=19
Old 20-02-10, 03:31 PM   #10
Neeja

Default Re: CASHBACK for reporting parking offences?

Shop yourself repeatedly for free tenners.

Job jobbed.