SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-02-24, 11:21 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Gearbox question

There is a thread on the US forum about a 2023 SV being stuck in neutral "sometimes".
The OP asked if this was normal and he also mentioned that he demonstrated the issue to the dealer. The bike is under warranty. The dealer adjusted the clutch which didn't help. (the Gen3 doesn't have the worm drive clutch actuator like pre-Gladius models btw)

https://www.svrider.com/threads/2023...etimes.402082/

Nobody answered so I posted that it was not normal, the SV gearbox is the best I have owned in all my years of riding. I will admit that once in a blue moon in a leap year with high sun spot activity (!) I might have to release the clutch lever, pull it back in and retry selecting 1st gear but this is so rare that I cannot remember the last time it happened. Certainly I couldn't demonstrate it to a dealer. I recommended he made a warranty claim.

It seems my experience is not usual and it's not uncommon for some to have to roll the bike forward to get 1st. Also, you should never select neutral when you're still rolling (there's an explanation why) but I do it a lot if the traffic light is red and there are several cars in front. No issues encountered with that so far (50+ years). So, if you want 1st you must select it whilst still rolling (and presumably sit there with the clutch lever held in), this was the biggest b/s I think I've heard. I've been wrong before so I held my peace.

What's your experience? Any bike, doesn't necessarily have to be an SV.
Old 21-02-24, 11:39 AM   #2
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gearbox question

I've never had a gearbox or clutch issue in 50 years of riding. I've had problems with clutch cables and the actuator mechanism on my GT750 but that's it.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 15-04-24, 06:59 PM   #3
EssEllTwo

"It sounds like you're trying to shift when the bike isn't rolling, which won't work on a motorcycle"

WTF do they mean by that? How do they ever manage to get their bike moving the first time they get on it lol.
EssEllTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-24, 08:02 AM   #4
Craig380
Mega Poster

My SV gearbox is exactly the same as every other Suzuki gearbox I've used: slick and smooth.

They've ALL had the quirk of sometimes not being able to get neutral from first gear when the bike is stopped and idling in first with the clutch in: a little roll forwards or back using my standing leg (literally 6 inches or so) while applying gentle upward pressure on the gear lever lets me get neutral.

To avoid a big 'clonk' when engaging first after a cold start, I rock the bike with clutch in as above too. It helps reduce fluid stiction in the clutch pack.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-24, 09:17 AM   #5
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
My SV gearbox is exactly the same as every other Suzuki gearbox I've used: slick and smooth.

They've ALL had the quirk of sometimes not being able to get neutral from first gear when the bike is stopped and idling in first with the clutch in: a little roll forwards or back using my standing leg (literally 6 inches or so) while applying gentle upward pressure on the gear lever lets me get neutral.

To avoid a big 'clonk' when engaging first after a cold start, I rock the bike with clutch in as above too. It helps reduce fluid stiction in the clutch pack.
Ditto. Once I found Andy's,"Clutch Mantra" and then serviced/replaced my Clutch lifter I get similar to above. No biggy.

I made a page to help,

http://straticus.epizy.com/SV650ClutchLifter.html?i=2

and fitted a folding gear lever as I know that some people have dropped the bike on the left damaging the Clutch system so I want to try and avoid that