SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-10-04, 03:22 PM   #1
SV Ste

Default Servicing Advice

Hi Folks

My bike is 2 1/2 years old now, I have only had it for a month.
The thing is that it needs a service. It had its first 1 year service at 151 miles (unbelievable I know). but has not had any thing else since except an oil change (at 2 yrs). I knew the owner before me and he really did treat the bike well. Its only done 2800 miles to date.
Now as the service book has only 1 stamp instead of many (the owner before me had a service at 2 years but did not take his book with him and the company has now closed so I cant it stamped). Am i better off servicing the bike myself (which i would prefer) or getting it done for me just to get the stamps in the book. I went to my local bike shop and their mechanic said he wouldnt bother with the stamps as the warranty has expired, just keep all invoices for parts and write the mileage and date done.

Just wondered if anybody else has been in this situation before. will the lack of stamps really effect the resale value that much should I come to sell it.

Thanks
Old 09-10-04, 03:26 PM   #2
jonboy

A lack of dealer service history will affect the bike only a little as regards resale value and the older it gets the less so (offset of course against the huge savings you'll be making by doing it yourself). Just keep all receipts and keep a written record of all servicing (as advised by your mechanic) and this should do fine.

Old 09-10-04, 04:05 PM   #3
Stig

I'm concerned that if I do my own servicing on my bike that I wont be able to sell it for what its really worth, what does everyone else think

Thanks
Old 09-10-04, 04:30 PM   #4
DeeJay

Old 11-10-04, 11:32 AM   #5
SV Ste

Hi folks

after speaking to a few friends and looking what you all had written. Ive decided that im going to do the work myself. It doesnt help that i dont trust many mechanics as i work with a lot of them and know that there are some good and a lot of bad ones.
Plus with the money i save will offset the lower price i get when i come to sell and i will have the piece of mind that i done the work.

Thanks for all your replies.
Old 11-10-04, 11:50 AM   #6
BillyC
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigApe
I'm concerned that if I do my own servicing on my bike that I wont be able to sell it for what its really worth, what does everyone else think

Thanks
Mate... after what your bike has been through, is this really an issue? In putting mine back together since June, I've thought similar things - but at the end of the day I decided that if I loved my bike enough to put her back together and continue riding her myself.... then I'd just keep her until here last dying crank rotation anyway!
Old 11-10-04, 12:04 PM   #7
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyC
Quote:

Thanks
Mate... after what your bike has been through, is this really an issue? In putting mine back together since June, I've thought similar things - but at the end of the day I decided that if I loved my bike enough to put her back together and continue riding her myself.... then I'd just keep her until here last dying crank rotation anyway!
Old 11-10-04, 04:43 PM   #8
Moriarty

Quote:

Thanks
Mate, after seeing your bike on Friday night, I'd say it's in mint condition and you should easily be able to sell it for quite a bit more than you bought it for. After all the impressive modifications (I'm still in AWE of your new-style speedo), I'd be surprised if you and your clutch of mechanics weren't contacted by a big race team for a big fat consultancy fee...

As far as 'is it worth the stamps in the book' goes, having recently purchased a bike I would not have been too put off but I would def. wanted some money off the original price. Mine had done 8k miles and had a FSH. Had it not, I would have needed convincing a bit more and would have paid at least 2-300 squids less than what I bought it for.

No FSH will present a problem in selling your bike but as you don't have one anyway theres no point throwing good money down the toilet.
Old 11-10-04, 05:07 PM   #9
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarty
Mate, after seeing your bike on Friday night, I'd say it's in mint condition and you should easily be able to sell it for quite a bit more than you bought it for. After all the impressive modifications (I'm still in AWE of your new-style speedo), I'd be surprised if you and your clutch of mechanics weren't contacted by a big race team for a big fat consultancy fee...
Now you wouldn't take the p*ss out of me and my bike would you

Old 12-10-04, 12:40 PM   #10
bird

from a dealers point of view we prefer to see a FSH and it can affect the resale value depending on the buyers point of view, its also a good bargaining point.

There are plenty of good mechanics around and your bike would benefit from a carb balance by now anyway.

We have just taken in a GSXR600Srad which had half the service history and the owner had done the rest. He thought it would be worth more as he reckoned no one takes notice of service history anymore as he stated there are too many mechanics that dont do the job properly, so he thought it would be worth more if he serviced it...so how is he better than a trained mechanic in a buyers eyes?.

If you are going to do it yourself, ensure you do know what you are doing first. Good tools are a good starting point and a good manual and plenty of patience. I have seen too many bikes recently come into the workshop to be fixed after home servicing has gone wrong...from cross treaded spark plugs to stripped sump plug bolts...ouch!