SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-12-04, 03:21 PM   #21
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Re: SV650s k4 end-can/ dubble bubble/ tyres/ running in/

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj003
yea problem is when one comes into a surprise corner too fast, not that the i am riding fast, but that the corner is tighter than anticipated, usually around the city and one runs out of road and feels a total ass...j
Your not watching the "vanishing point" properly, both sides of the road appear to joint at a point in front of you as you go around a corner.

If that point gets closer then the bend is tightening, if futher away the bend is opening up.

the SV's engine is very good for braking so can be used to scrub off speed without using brakes mid-corner, even sudden down shifting isn't a problem as the bike is so light, you can control a slight slide with your thighs.

( Oh, by the way, trailling the front brake through corners, is one of thoughs skills you have to be very carful with, it's easy to over-cook it, and the consequences aren't nice.)

If in doubt, do all your braking in a straight line before the hazard.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-04, 03:31 PM   #22
BillyC
Mega Poster

The words that worked wonders for my cornering back in the days before the bike got bent:

In wide and slow.... out tight and fast

Much better to go in slowly and accelerate, than find you're entering the corner too fast, and it's too late to slow down safely - expect you've learnt this already!

Also, entering wide (not too wide mind!) ensures that you get to see as much of the oncoming bend as you possibly can, allowing you all the more information to make your judgements.
Old 09-12-04, 08:11 PM   #23
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vltn3
i agree with lee simmons you shoudnt have to use the rear brake only for slow manoevres....when you use the back brake at speed you shift momentum and weight to the front which causes lightweight at the rear..hence.. lose of grip on rear tyre..your instructor should have pointed this out...good luck anyway... and------
LEARN TO USE YOUR BRAKES PROPERLY.
Hang on, that's not what I was trained, and I don't think it's standard either... Certainly on the e-stop part of the test you're supposed to use both ends. Yes, the rear goes light on heavy front braking, but unless you're doing an endo your rear can still slow you, whether by engine or brake braking. You can't use much, and the front's far more important, but eveyr little helps when you're bleeding speed from 70... You may slide the rear but it's unlikely to cause you to lose control.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-04, 09:03 AM   #24
Muttley

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesimons

The rear brake won't cause a weight shift to the front of the bike.
Yes it does. The bike has momentum, any use of either brake (or engine braking) causes a shift of weight to the front, its just not very noticable when using the rear brake.

Try slowing rapidly using just the rear, your body will move forward.

Its physics.
Old 10-12-04, 10:13 AM   #25
pegasus
Mega Poster

maybe im not phrasing it right....when travelling at speed (eg upwards of 30) using the rear brake WILL cause lightweight at the rear because you have moved the momentum of the bike to the front...hence less grip on rear....if on the other hand you use the front brake at speed you still shift momentum to the front but this time you have the added bonus of more weight on the front...hence better stopping power and (hopefully) grip.
does this make sense or am i just mad......

pegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-04, 04:21 PM   #26
northwind
Mega Poster

You're right, and that's why the front's better than the rear, but it's not an either/or thing... I've only had to out-and-out emergency brake twice, once I ended up actually hitting the car at low speed, if I'd just used the front I would have hit harder and maybe actually done some damage or come off. The other time I came up about a metre short, so maybe I'd have hit without the rear.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote