SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-07-18, 06:57 PM   #1
EliteAlex

Default MCE Insurance

Hi,

I was wondering what people's experience of MCE as an insurance company. I've heard everything from not being to get hold of them at all to very cheap and does what an insurance company should do.

I've spoken to one bloke who insures with them and he said, all the companies are as bad as each other and will try to wiggle out of paying out on a claim, might as well pay less, for the luxury!

I'm asking as i'm trying to insure a GSXR750 and they are a good £200 cheaper than the nearest rival for a K8, and half the price on the next rival on a L1!

I'm young, so I know insurance will be a killer. Question is, should I save some money by going with MCE.

I've been with Bennetts for my first years riding and BeMoto for the second. No claims on both policies.

Cheers!
Old 04-07-18, 07:17 PM   #2
Talking Heads

Default Re: MCE Insurance

I always go with the cheapest and have never had a problem in 30 years.
But I've never had to make a claim on a motorcycle policy...
A lot of companies are just branding exercises and the insurance is actually provided by a separate underwriter.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-18, 07:35 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

i use bikesure and have always found their customer service excellent. they were very good when i got my SV 650 k8 stolen 8 years ago and they have always given me a fair price for insurance. every year the price has gone down. some insurers wont even look at me due to the bike being modified but bikesure was yes sir no problem and here is a very good price as well.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-18, 07:38 PM   #4
EliteAlex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
i use bikesure and have always found their customer service excellent. they were very good when i got my SV 650 k8 stolen 8 years ago and they have always given me a fair price for insurance. every year the price has gone down. some insurers wont even look at me due to the bike being modified but bikesure was yes sir no problem and here is a very good price as well.

I'm glad you've had good experience with Bikesure. They are 2nd in my list of most affordable, so it may be worth the extra money to avoid the potential MCE hassle?
Old 04-07-18, 08:07 PM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

i would not touch MCE if i even had to pay double somewhere else. from what i have heard their customer service is shocking.

btw bikesure are adrian flux.

oohh and i also use their breakdown cover which is around the same as all the other cheep ones.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-18, 08:15 PM   #6
EliteAlex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
i would not touch MCE if i even had to pay double somewhere else. from what i have heard their customer service is shocking.

btw bikesure are adrian flux.

oohh and i also use their breakdown cover which is around the same as all the other cheep ones.
I think i’ll avoid them then. Adrian flux is a big name so should be fairly safe with them! Thanks!
Old 05-07-18, 07:12 AM   #7
proze

Bikesure are also the only people who'll insure me, being new to the country. Very polite on the phone, too.
proze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-18, 09:34 AM   #8
ophic
Mega Poster

I've had to make a claim through both Bikesure and MCE. In both cases I was represented by their chosen solicitors.

In both cases it took ages for a payout. I'd rank them both as capable as anywhere else but they don't push things along. No idea if that's their fault, the other party's fault or just the legal system the way it is.
Old 05-07-18, 10:46 AM   #9
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

I had a routine SMIDSY (real easy as he pulled out of his own drive straight in front of me) no ifs, buts or maybe's. I claimed with Hastings they paid relatively quickly BUT it took over 18 months for them to officially say it was no fault during which time I paid extra on 3 insurance policies and am now trying to get that money back.
I got into the habit of phonng the solicitors every Friday afternoon at the same time to pester them as that was the only thing that I could do.
Old 05-07-18, 10:59 AM   #10
Chris_SVS

Bikesure were best of the bunch for me. Loads of non performance mods declared + riding other bikes cover etc
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote