SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-08-06, 10:25 PM   #11
lynw

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD650SV
Please excuse my ignorance but why is it so bad to just take the lid off? I always take my lid off when filling up especially when going into the store. Even though places can't force you to do it, there is no reason to make someone feel uncomfortable when it takes 20 seconds to just take the lid off and put it back on again.
Try it when its raining. Then when you end up with wet neck and head you may understand. Its also a form of discrimination - bikers are asked to remove their helmets, yet chavs can still wear their hoodies, sunglasses, baseball caps and muslim women can wear headresses. Neither of those had a formal policy asking them to remove their gear - why should we tolerate one for us?

And no it doesnt take 20 seconds to take it off and put it back on. Not when taking it off messes up your hair, then you have to retie it, and then put it back on. Sorry, leaving it on is the easier option imo.

Quote:
As for riding off without paying, I'm not sure that it is the best thing to do as that is definately a criminal offence and I don't think the Old Bill is gonna look too kindly on it.
I didnt say ride off without paying. I said make an attempt to pay with cash. IF they still refuse to serve you THEN you can ride off. They will use the CCTV when they call the police AND when it is on CCTV that you attempted to pay and THEY refused they havent got a leg to stand on.

I refer you to a thread on Visordown where this happened to one guy. The police were called, saw he attempted to pay and basically told Tescos they hadnt got a leg to stand on. Try reading this:

http://www.visordown.com/forums/show...ighlight=tesco

Basically it is NOT a criminal offence if you have fulfilled your legal obligation to offer payment in legal tender [hence cash as cards arent] and they refuse. Basically the old bill will come talk to you and when they see the CCTV supporting that they will not be charging you.

Dont confuse riding off without offering to pay and with riding off having offered to pay and been refused.

Quote:
After all, you wouldn't go into the local supermarket and do some shopping with your lid on, so why do it when getting petrol, especially when petrol stations are often targeted by robbers etc.
Actually I know a few people who do. They simply go into Tescos to get about 3 or 4 items and given the short time theyre in there its not worth them bothering. And you obviously have never had stupid people drive their trolleys smack into your lid either.

Quote:
Just my 2 pence but if you can do something to make someone else's life less stresfull, why not do it.
And the same applies to the attendants. Why cant they just make our lives a little less stressful by not making a big deal out of our lids and let others wear all manner of head gear which can conceal their identity? Particularly as its now a policy NOT to make a deal out of it. :P
Old 23-08-06, 10:42 PM   #12
Grinch

It never takes me 20 seconds to get my lid off.... I have to remove my gloves... unplug the intercom and plugs from my ears... then carry all that to the payment area fanny around with my card/helmet/gloves/intercom without dropping them. Then get it all sorted and put it all back on again, by then the driver behind me has that look that says 'why didn't I choose the other pump'.
Where as with 10quid cash or my card, I don't even need to remove my gloves. In bosh... out... lovely jubbly.
Old 23-08-06, 10:48 PM   #13
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Bikers whinning again . What a surprise eh...

Flip-up helmet/open face or take it off. Worried about getting wet? Get a car then.

You bikers whinge too much :P .

Cheers
Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-06, 10:55 PM   #14
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynw
Quote:
Originally Posted by KD650SV
Please excuse my ignorance but why is it so bad to just take the lid off? I always take my lid off when filling up especially when going into the store. Even though places can't force you to do it, there is no reason to make someone feel uncomfortable when it takes 20 seconds to just take the lid off and put it back on again.
Try it when its raining. Then when you end up with wet neck and head you may understand.
Sorry, but I commute in all weathers. Always take my lid off, and not got my head/neck wet yet. Petrol stations around here have a funny habit of having a huge metal cover over them.

Although, your point about hair, I have non, so that excuses me from that.

Quote:
Quote:
After all, you wouldn't go into the local supermarket and do some shopping with your lid on, so why do it when getting petrol, especially when petrol stations are often targeted by robbers etc.
Actually I know a few people who do. They simply go into Tescos to get about 3 or 4 items and given the short time theyre in there its not worth them bothering. And you obviously have never had stupid people drive their trolleys smack into your lid either.
Just got back from Tesco, I bought exactly four items, took my lid, gloves, and rukka balaclava off. Put them in a trolley, and I'd love to see someone hit them whilst in there.

Quote:
Just my 2 pence but if you can do something to make someone else's life less stresfull, why not do it.
My sentiments exactly. The cashiers don't discriminate any more than security officials do an an airport in my eyes. I'm happy to suffer a delay to board a flight if it means I travel safer, and I'm equally happy to remove my lid - without being asked first - so I don't unnerve someone in their workplace. After all, indimidating someone at work is also an offence, but alas, I digress a little.
Old 23-08-06, 11:07 PM   #15
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph
My sentiments exactly. The cashiers don't discriminate any more than security officials do an an airport in my eyes. I'm happy to suffer a delay to board a flight if it means I travel safer, and I'm equally happy to remove my lid - without being asked first - so I don't unnerve someone in their workplace. After all, indimidating someone at work is also an offence, but alas, I digress a little.
You are a biker?

Cheers
Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-06, 05:28 AM   #16
timwilky
Mega Poster

I have never been asked to remove my helmet and would probably walk out of a shop if asked. As for filling stations I usually use a card fill pump if available as it means that I do not even need to get off the bike. I have never used tesco for fuel and if I discovered them to be using anti bike policies would boycott the store completely.

I agree, removing a helmet is a pain. I also wear glasses to get them on/off with a helmet is difficult enough. it is not just the removal it is putting them somewhere safe, the same with gloves etc. So remove gloves. do you put them on your tank or seat whilst the wind wants to blow them into the puddle at your feet, then remove glasses, get out case and put them in, case back into leathers, remove helmet. Take helmet/gloves into shop, find somewhere to put them whilst you pay, take them back outside and reverse the procedure.

I have had idiots refuse my debit card because of a minimum £12 transaction value, put even them let me leave my helmet on whilst they threatened me with the police.
Old 24-08-06, 05:49 AM   #17
Cronos

It happened to me at Tescos once. The excuse the used was that it was difficult to hear / understand people wearing helmets.

Lid stayed on and Tesco haven't received a penny of my money since.
Old 24-08-06, 07:29 AM   #18
Viney
Mega Poster

I never see the problem. If asked i will remove my lid. It take 10 seconds ffs.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-06, 07:38 AM   #19
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney
Viney, I suppose you & I are the exception to the rule. Everyone else either has glasses or hair to think about. Either that, or rain. Personally, the 1st 2 I don't have, and the 3rd, I couldn't care less about. I remember going hiking on me DoE course, without waterproofs. Apparently the worst weather seen during the previous 7 years expiditions. There was our group, shorts & no tops.

I've never tried putting a helmet on with glasses, and never worried about my hair either with or without a helmet. If I ever have to endure either, I reserve the right to change my mind, but until then, the lid usually comes off before I'm asked.

Takes me all of 10secs to whip off the lid, and even if it took me a good few mins to get everything sorted, I'm never really in that much of a rush, esp when we all have more power to hand than most other things on the road.
Old 24-08-06, 07:51 AM   #20
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney
Viney, I suppose you & I are the exception to the rule. Everyone else either has glasses or hair to think about. Either that, or rain. Personally, the 1st 2 I don't have, and the 3rd, I couldn't care less about. I remember going hiking on me DoE course, without waterproofs. Apparently the worst weather seen during the previous 7 years expiditions. There was our group, shorts & no tops.

I've never tried putting a helmet on with glasses, and never worried about my hair either with or without a helmet. If I ever have to endure either, I reserve the right to change my mind, but until then, the lid usually comes off before I'm asked.

Takes me all of 10secs to whip off the lid, and even if it took me a good few mins to get everything sorted, I'm never really in that much of a rush, esp when we all have more power to hand than most other things on the road.
Blimey, i was only just saying.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote