SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-08-06, 08:01 AM   #41
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutty tart
its not legal tender in England someone told me.
It is legal tender in England (and Wales), but unfortunately, it's like any other legal tender. The party receiving can state they don't believe it to be legal tender (in the case of forged notes etc), which unfortunately, you're more likely to get with Scottish notes as you rightly said, people south of the border just don't know what to look for.

Interesting that banks can have their own version of each note though. Never knew that....
Old 25-08-06, 08:17 AM   #42
BillyC
Mega Poster

Some may think this is political correctness to the extreme, but I don't see why one rule should apply to some, and not others - whatever the reason:

If a person's beliefs require a woman to cover their face in public; then why should someone elses beliefs not allow me to do the same when it is a safety related and legally required part of my attire.

If security were really an issue, then all of these petrol stations have night kiosks - they can use them (if they weren't blocked by piles of charcoal, newspapers etc etc).

Jonboy - one day I would love to take your suggestion: "Invoice me".
Old 25-08-06, 08:54 AM   #43
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyC
Some may think this is political correctness to the extreme, but I don't see why one rule should apply to some, and not others - whatever the reason:

If a person's beliefs require a woman to cover their face in public; then why should someone elses beliefs not allow me to do the same when it is a safety related and legally required part of my attire.

If security were really an issue, then all of these petrol stations have night kiosks - they can use them (if they weren't blocked by piles of charcoal, newspapers etc etc).

Jonboy - one day I would love to take your suggestion: "Invoice me".
You joking right? Depends on what you believe equates to a belief I guess.

I do find interesting the fact that you appear to be happy with arguably PC being taken to the extreme.

Most of the reasons given are frankly riduculous IMHO when looked at as whole. When I wore a full face helment of course there have been times when it may be a bit of an inconvenience. It was just that.

Sometimes because "I don't like...." doesn't make it any more valid/reason(IMO). It may be to you but you yet again that's just you.

I'm with Viney, Baph et al. Doesn't take much. Of course if you a place is happy leaving your helmet onthen that's fine.

Jeez, World doesn't revolve around Bikers' helmets.

Cheers
Ben

Cheers
Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-06, 09:06 AM   #44
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21QUEST
Sometimes because "I don't like...." doesn't make it any more valid/reason(IMO).
Precisely. Just because someone doesnt like the fact a biker is wearing a lid isn't a valid reason for asking it to be removed.
Old 25-08-06, 09:24 AM   #45
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

I went though a passport check on the ferry from France the other day and I wasn't asked to remove my helmet. I kid you not.

So what is the incidence of people in crash helmets (presumably on bikes) robbing petrol stations? Perhaps they should insist blokes only come in one at a time? Barcode your ass? No beards? Let's get that copper from north Wales on it, in a twinkling you'd need to have both parents and a priest with you.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-06, 10:47 AM   #46
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod
I went though a passport check on the ferry from France the other day and I wasn't asked to remove my helmet. I kid you not.

So what is the incidence of people in crash helmets (presumably on bikes) robbing petrol stations? Perhaps they should insist blokes only come in one at a time? Barcode your ass? No beards? Let's get that copper from north Wales on it, in a twinkling you'd need to have both parents and a priest with you.
Same here on my way out and return on holiday to portugal last year. I went to take it off and they said no bother, nor checked the what i was carrying.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-06, 01:36 PM   #47
Davido

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davido
I take my lid off every time without fail. I don't see it as any great hassle tbh.

Remove lid, put next to bike, walk in. DONE. Where next to your bike? Not on the floor I hope in all that diesel...
Nope, on the massive space next to the pumps or hanging on my wingmirror. If someone takes it, I've got cctv evidence and their number plate.
I'm not saying we should all have to, but I don't see the fuss over it. I mean as far as the attendant knows, you're some 14 year old chav riding around illegally and as said before it can be threatening when approached by someone wearing a full face helmet fiddling around in their pockets.
Even if I was going to rob the place why would I take my lid off when they ask?
Well obviously. That's a pretty poor argument. but I'm saying it makes them feel more at ease. Can't you understand that?

It's kind of like going into someone's house and wearing a hat, you take it off out of politeness, which is why I take mine off.
But its not a hat and you ain't staying
It was an analogy, don't read into too finely. And its just courtesy. Its an item of clothing that takes about 5 seconds to remove. Bring a card and pay at the pumps or don't complain. Their house, their rules.

And who am I to deny my face to the world?
Just look at my avatar
A bike? Please explain...
Old 25-08-06, 02:29 PM   #48
DanAbnormal

I would find it too much hassle to if they asked me to. Remove fiddly gloves, undo fiddly helmet strap, remove earplugs find somewhere to put all this stuff while I need to fiddle around getting wallet and card out without bashing lid. And no I won't leave it on my bike either as it may be half-inched while I'm paying and then I'm really screwed. then you have to get back to bike and put all the gear back on while Mr Impatiennt beeps at you to move it. I'd rather avoid all that stress. I'm in the station less than 3 minutes, so stations should be more accomodating to the customer, not the other way around. That said I've never been asked to take it off and would politely decline if asked if they kicked up a stink I would tell them again politely that I will not remove lid and they either take my payment or I'm off. Thankyou and goodnight. Not saying this is right or wrong, just what I would do.
Old 25-08-06, 02:37 PM   #49
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_dan
while Mr Impatiennt beeps at you to move it. I'd rather avoid all that stress.
Stress? Maybe you haven't read another thread on here. Honking is just their way of showing they love jesus!

Personally, I've experienced this a few times, mainly just as I'm getting my kit on & not even sat on the bike (I stand next to the bike to put my gear back on). Once or twice, I've taken the attitude of "you want fuel, you can f*cking wait like the rest of us", and simply walked back into the petrol station. Bought something to eat/drink, then simply sat on the bike whilst I have a nice snack Most people will sit in a queue for fuel with their engine on, all the time, wasting what they've come to purchase (madness to me). Anything done to cause them a delay only serves to irritate them, especially if they're starring at a flashing fuel light as well

Yes, I do often get called certain names unfiting for a U-rated site, but when the sticks & stones come out, I make sure I start the bike & go.
Old 25-08-06, 02:38 PM   #50
Balky001
Mega Poster

For those that find getting your gloves and lid off too much hassle (not just you don't want to) How do you get your wallet out and pull a card out and put it back in with gloves on - maybe in the summer but can't do it easily with winter gloves? That's more fiddling than taking them off if you wear leathers although I guess over glove jackets are more hassle.

I used to stick a tenner down my cuff and let the person on the till take it out - just made sure it wasn't £10.01 cos that was really annoying (wallet in rucksack on my back).

I can't understand the hassle with carrying a lid - don't you normally carry your lid when you get off your bike? Maybe you need a lighter one? Shoei X-Spirit anyone?