SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-04-07, 08:39 PM   #1
aarond

Default Help: Problems& fun

Hi all this is my first post so be nice(please) just bought a nice 1999 sv650s its my second bike after a lorry reversed over me and my other one!!! So ordered up a fuel exhaust can after reading good comments on this forum and took the baffle out, this is the first question do i need to rejet? it or anything with the baffle out?
My next problem is the bike, sometimes, is sluggish to say the least its restricted to 33bhp but the acceleration is rubbish even, an old hyundia car managed to accelerate faster than me without breaking a sweat!!! However it doesn't happen all the time on the second day i took it out or a spin and it was accelerating and behaving exactly as i would expect so came home with bike smile thinking was just due to sitting in garage etc build up of fuel, oil residue etc which just needed a good blast to get shot of. So fitted new fuel exhaust baffle fell out, then took it for a trial spin( or and was going great, went to bed happy. so next day went on a trip to the sea side with my friend, bike was running perfect the trip is about 40miles each way. when we finished playing in the sand came back to bike's and noticed oil drops at about the sidestand of my bike and an oil runing down the frame looked as if was coming from under the fuel tank and oil on the right of the rear swingarm. So cleaned it off concerned but had to get home and for about 20miles the bike was very sluggish couldnt safely over take cars sitting at 50mph thats how bad it was. Bike is now in my garage and oil drops are underneath it again now with oil being on the swingarm and frame. I dont have a scottoiler so cant be that anyhelp would be great sorry for the long post.

Thanks Aaron

Last edited by aarond; 15-04-07 at 01:38 PM.
Old 14-04-07, 08:53 PM   #2
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Re: Problems& fun

Sounds like it needs a good service, probably find the crank breathers have come off the air box and the carbs need an clean out and balancing, also could be a "running on one cylinder" issue, well known problem, do a search.

With just a can, you won't need to change any jetting, only if you change air filter as well would you need to look at it.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-07, 08:57 PM   #3
jim@55

check your oil level ,,if its got too much it can spit back out and choke up the air filter ,,thats what it sounds like
Old 15-04-07, 08:13 AM   #4
kcowgergmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim@55 View Post
check your oil level ,,if its got too much it can spit back out and choke up the air filter ,,thats what it sounds like
I have had this happen on other machines i have had and it greatly reduced the performance
Old 15-04-07, 08:14 AM   #5
kcowgergmm

oh i forgot welcome to the Org glad to have another member
Old 15-04-07, 11:38 AM   #6
aarond

Thanks for all your help bike shows it had a service 10miles before i bought it service stamp in service book. Oil level shows over full when the bike is hot but just under full when bike is cold. is this normal? Thanks for ur speedy reply aaron.
Old 15-04-07, 03:34 PM   #7
aarond

Ok think im going to take it back to the dealer i got it from, took it out 2day and its running fine no hesitation or anything like that checked oil at both cold and hot and is just under full, but is still leaking oil, there is a dribble of it running down the frame from beneath the fuel tank and it is dripping from somewhere and leaving dropplets about where the sidestand is and the right of the swingarm has a good coating too with sum going on the tyre.

will let you know what happens thanks,
aaron
Old 15-04-07, 08:21 PM   #8
aarond

Ok further to my other messages took some pics of the oil drips so we are not talking about a little bit of oil( i know a little oil goes a long way, but even with that).

oil level is definitely ok so looks like back to shop.

Thanks
Old 15-04-07, 08:33 PM   #9
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Assuming you don't have a chain oiler pouring too much on the chain I would take it straight back to the dealer.It may be a crankcase breather issue,but it could also be coming from the rear cylinder head gasket or the gearbox output shaft.Either of those will require some work to fix.
Old 15-04-07, 08:52 PM   #10
aarond

no chain oiler so straight back 2morrow morning!
thanks aaron