SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 17-11-07, 10:01 AM   #21
Blue_SV650S

Default Re: Track day conflict.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrosa View Post
Blue, let's be fair the Ducati model mentioned would be faster than a 250 GP bike ...
That simply isn't true ... if anything the GP bike could even be quicker (laptimes)!!!!

... Digs about a bit ...

Look at the cadwell website ... there are some lap record times in there ...

Its only one club - so not definitive, and unfortunately it is an Aprilia RSV that holds the twin lap record not a duke, but you get the idea:-

http://www.cadwellpark.org.uk/

Chay Newton Yamaha TZ250 06-May-06 01:38.62 79.21
Mark Compton Aprilia Factory 22-May-05 01:39.88 78.21

Dig around a bit more and you will probably find more/better examples, but a GP250 bike is no slower (laptimes) than a 1000cc twin ... bearing in mind neither of our candidates (Mr Duke, Mr 250) are MotoGP legends, we are certainly down to rider differences here ...

It just goes to show that Mr Duke doesn't know all he thinks he does

Last edited by Blue_SV650S; 17-11-07 at 10:06 AM.
Old 17-11-07, 10:04 AM   #22
SV650Racer

Quote:
Blue, let's be fair the Ducati model mentioned would be faster than a 250 GP bike, maybe not a massive amount in it but faster I am sure. However on a track like Cadwell,(which I do not know intimately) I am not sure how much any top end advantage would be negated. In the turns my money would for sure be on the 250.
Trouble is if you knew each rider then id reckon the 250 guy would easily lap 10seconds quicker

That aside i think British 250's were into the 1.32's at one point!!!!. The fastest 1098 Duke about 1.33's.
Old 17-11-07, 10:11 AM   #23
Demonz

Quote:

I think the crux of the matter is that yes one accepts that a track day has it's risks but in the main these are down to the individual rider,particularly when pushing things in to curves. We all know that and curves are the place that mishaps are going to happen in the main.

The 250 rider may well be a very capable individual but to come from nowhere and shoot underneath someone as he leans in has got to be wrong, particularly given the margins of space mentioned.
I think you summed it up in the first paragraph.

No one can dispute what is described by the Ducati Rider/Marshall as a dodgy move. The 250 rider wouldnt dispute it eaither - but he is describing the incident occuring differently. My judgement would sway either way depending on whose description was most accurate (pending the allowance to overtake on the last lap).
Old 17-11-07, 10:12 AM   #24
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650Racer View Post
Trouble is if you knew each rider then id reckon the 250 guy would easily lap 10seconds quicker

That aside i think British 250's were into the 1.32's at one point!!!!. The fastest 1098 Duke about 1.33's.

Indeed, Mr Duke is prolly the sort that has all the gear, but makes up the back of the field, and Mr 250 is a front runner ...

Thanks for putting some more relevant/definitive laptimes up ...

Pedrosa, if you have ever been out on track with a GP250, it is something to behold!!
Old 17-11-07, 10:25 AM   #25
Pedrosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
Indeed, Mr Duke is prolly the sort that has all the gear, but makes up the back of the field, and Mr 250 is a front runner ...

Thanks for putting some more relevant/definitive laptimes up ...

Pedrosa, if you have ever been out on track with a GP250, it is something to behold!!
Oh I can see that the corner ability of the 250's is indeed spectacular. That is why I can never understand people who only switch on to watch the main Moto GP race,they just do not appreciate what they are missing.

Rewinding slightly, ok so Mr.Ducati might have been blowing it out of his a+s a little and as mentioned I don't know Cadwell at all......but I would tend to err on Mr.250 being an inconsiderate and dangerous c*nt. If I had been his victim and was not stretchered, I would for sure have gone looking for him in the pits. But then again diplomacy was always my strongest point!
Old 17-11-07, 11:25 AM   #26
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Oh I can see that the corner ability of the 250's is indeed spectacular. That is why I can never understand people who only switch on to watch the main Moto GP race,they just do not appreciate what they are missing.

Rewinding slightly, ok so Mr.Ducati might have been blowing it out of his a+s a little and as mentioned I don't know Cadwell at all......but I would tend to err on Mr.250 being an inconsiderate and dangerous c*nt. If I had been his victim and was not stretchered, I would for sure have gone looking for him in the pits. But then again diplomacy was always my strongest point!
They are not slow in a straight line either!! ~100hp and knob all weight = f-fast acceleration ... agreed you need the real HP over say 150 ... but at cadders you are not going to be seeing much of that anyway ...

Back to topic - Chances are it had been a ferocious battle during the sesh, that both enjoyed, just Mr 250 didn't 'switch off' during the cool down lap, but Duke did ... that was a mistake on 250s part and he needs to hold his hand up and say sorry* ... case closed!!

The rest of the stuff is just ego talking/chest drumming!!

*and learn from it!

Last edited by Blue_SV650S; 17-11-07 at 11:29 AM.
Old 17-11-07, 07:54 PM   #27
Tomcat

mmm, all very interesting. But it wont put me off track days, and if anyone hasnt done one yet, just get out there and have fun. Roll on next year!

Old 17-11-07, 09:06 PM   #28
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
That simply isn't true ... if anything the GP bike could even be quicker (laptimes)!!!!
Not the same circuit, but remind what year was it Steve Hislop lapped Donnington faster on his Duke than Rossi did on his GP bike...

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-07, 03:17 AM   #29
Berlin

Take out track day insurance - Problems solved.

Unless of course you pop your clogs. But if you're worried about that, you probably wouldn't be on a track day.. or a motorbike!
Old 18-11-07, 09:20 AM   #30
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
Not the same circuit, but remind what year was it Steve Hislop lapped Donnington faster on his Duke than Rossi did on his GP bike...
Yeah, remember that, that was an exceptional ride