SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-03-18, 07:06 PM   #1
Red ones
Mega Poster

Default Brakes gone off

My front brakes suddenly decided to not work properly. Very stiff and on one disc it looks like the pads no longer strike the disc square.

I can strip them and put back on. All ok.
A few weeks later the same again.

Any ideas? Could it be that the calliper is not moving on the sliding pin well enough?
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-18, 08:25 PM   #2
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Default Re: Brakes gone off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones View Post
My front brakes suddenly decided to not work properly. Very stiff and on one disc it looks like the pads no longer strike the disc square.

I can strip them and put back on. All ok.
A few weeks later the same again.

Any ideas? Could it be that the calliper is not moving on the sliding pin well enough?
Quite possible.Last year I had a bit of low-speed grabbing.Cured it by polishing all the slide pins etc with some 500 grit and metal polish and then greased them up.You can get the Red grease small amounts that will last for ages off Ebay,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-gram-C...kAAOSwKtlWq9-q

But to be honest I think it's only Lithium grease with a bit of colour in it so any decent grease is better than none.

Also I had to Blast out the holes all the pins/locators go in and made sure everything slid nice.

I also pumped the Pistons out a bit and used some ACF50 on them so they were anti-corrosion treated.I've done this for years on my Motorcycles.You can use some clean engine oil.

I use a C-Clamp with some Masking tape wrapped on the ends of the Clamp to press the pistons back before refit.The tape is sacrificial to save any contact areas.

I always de-glaze my pads when I have them off on a bit of flat paver with some 500/320 grit.

After completion/Refit I give all the areas around the Pads and the Discs a clean with Carb/Brake cleaner.

This may not cure the problem but it will narrow down possibilities and is good brake maintenance.
Old 14-03-18, 09:50 PM   #3
Craig380
Mega Poster

Could be the caliper pins, could also be the disc bobbins getting crudded up and not allowing the disc to 'float'.

Have a look at the quick video here which explains how to free them off. I do this every year around about now, after the worst of the winter grit / salt has gone.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-18, 09:50 PM   #4
Craig380
Mega Poster

Could be the caliper pins, could also be the disc bobbins getting crudded up and not allowing the disc to 'float'.

Have a look at the quick video here which explains how to free them off. I do this every year around about now, after the worst of the winter grit / salt has gone.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote