SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-02-08, 01:45 PM   #1
BillyC
Mega Poster

Default Headsets - in the ear with microphone?

I've had a Autocom sitting around for ages, never fitted due to a) not having a radio, b) not knowing anyone else with one, or c) not liking the helmet fitted headset.

I usually ride around with my iPod on, and connected to regular in-the-ear type headphones. So I've been keeping my eye out for a headset that is similar to this.

And today I saw one - a Blackbird rider, standing next to his bike, clearly on the phone, but with a set of moulded in-the-ear stereo headphones; and a boom mike coming down from his ear.

I should have stopped to ask him... but does anyone know where he might have got these - and if there's a connector for the Autocom socket?

TIA.
Old 05-02-08, 01:58 PM   #2
independentphoto

Default Re: Headsets - in the ear with microphone?

Hi Bill.

There IS a socket etc available. I was on the Autocom site last night and they have the info on there and links for suppliers of the moulded-in speakers,

Cheers,

Garry
Old 05-02-08, 02:11 PM   #3
BillyC
Mega Poster

Cheers Garry

Can you be more specific? I've looked at their site, and don't particularly want to browse the 40 or so PDF files on offer. It's not a very informative site!

Bill
Old 05-02-08, 05:27 PM   #4
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

When i was at the NEC show i had some custom earplugs made up from this company www.ultimateear.com make 2 types of in ear earphones but they aint cheap.cant remember exactly how much but it was expensive, each earphone/plug has a tiny speaker in it. on the plus side thay are moulded to your ears and work prefectly with the autocom stuff
Old 05-02-08, 05:27 PM   #5
independentphoto

20/08/2004 - Can I use earplug type speakers with Autocom?Yes you can, we make specific headset leads for this. In fact because Autocom has far superior signal to noise ratios, it means Autocom systems pick up and amplify far less helmet noise, which is very important if you want to use in-ear speaker plugs. Also as Autocom’s VOX systems automatically and reliably cut off the microphones while not speaking and only turn on when you speak your earplugs retain 100% of their designed hearing protection while not speaking. When you speak you will hear Autocom’s high quality and performance noise cancelling reduces most undesirable helmet noise to a minimal level such that mainly just speech is produced directly to your ears with minimum helmet noise produced inside the protective plugs. No other system that we know of has such good noise cancelling properties, and many do not have VOX or VOX that cuts the microphones off when not speaking. These poor noise cancelling products result in amplifying considerable helmet noise directly to your ears and without reliable VOX to cut this while not speaking you hear this amplified directly to your ears all the time, in particular at higher speeds. This is bad enough with standard over the ear type speakers with which you can use conventional earplugs to help reduce this amplified helmet noise, but with in-ear type speaker plugs the noise is amplified directly to your ears inside the protective plug, which apart from being undesirable and more fatiguing to use, makes it pointless using the protective plug in the first place as in many cases the amplified noise inside the protective earplug could be more than not using earplugs at all. Please look at our parts 26 and 27 under ‘Autocom System Examples’ in the hover menu select ’Full Parts and Price List’, which allow you to use standard types of speaker plugs, or see the instruction manuals for these under ‘Brochures & Product Support’ which also recommends some suppliers.

This is it....

http://www.autocom.co.uk/pdf/part-26-27-manual.pdf

Hope that helps mate.

Garry
Old 05-02-08, 08:27 PM   #6
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

I emailed autocom about a year ago asking if they did in ear speaker/headphone things and they told me no!
Old 05-02-08, 10:27 PM   #7
BillyC
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
I emailed autocom about a year ago asking if they did in ear speaker/headphone things and they told me no!
I think that is essentially right... It appears that Autocom do an adapter - just to ensure you're really loaded up with wires, connectors and so on - to plug your existing headphones into.

That's not what I saw, and not what I'm after... this guy had moulded in the ear headphones, with a boom coming out of one of them with a mic on the end. He was very happy, and I would be too if I knew where they came from!

Garry - Cheers for going to the trouble of posting the link! Thank you.
Old 05-02-08, 10:48 PM   #8
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

it sounds like the ones from ultimateear.com they're moulded in the ear type and they connect onto the autocom sysytem and use the autocom boom mic

http://www.ultimateear.com/motorcycle.htm

that's all their motorbike ones, take a look at the uep75 ear plugs

as i said not cheap
Old 05-02-08, 11:40 PM   #9
BillyC
Mega Poster

No it's not them, the guy wasn't even wearing his helmet. They were very simple - definitely not the chunky Autocom rubbish.

Custom moulded in the hear headphones (or so it seemed); joined by a wire. The right headphone had a simple stiff wire boom down the side of his cheek to a foam covered mic infront of his mouth - into which he was speaking.

I think I'll have to find his bike and leave a note on it!
Old 08-02-08, 09:52 PM   #10
TEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyC View Post
No it's not them, the guy wasn't even wearing his helmet.
So may have just been a headset that works with his phone but not when wearing a lid

Quote:
definitely not the chunky Autocom rubbish.
Dare I ask if you have actually tried the Autocom headset I've been using one for over 6 years, not had a problem with it Though saying that they do fit better in Arai/Shoei lids