SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-12-05, 01:31 PM   #1
Saracen

Default Replacing chain and sprockets

My bike has done just over 17k miles. I bought it at about 16k. The chain and sprockets are still the originals, and they seem okay. But I'm thinking of getting them replaced, as they will be nearing the end of their life.

A couple of Q's: what's a good set to get for cheapish?

And how much can I expect to pay to get them fitted? (I don't have the riveting tools).
Old 19-12-05, 01:54 PM   #2
jonboy

Default Re: Replacing chain and sprockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saracen
My bike has done just over 17k miles. I bought it at about 16k. The chain and sprockets are still the originals, and they seem okay.
Why replace them then?

Quote:
...as they will be nearing the end of their life.
This depends entirely on how well they've been lubricated and maintained.

Quote:
And how much can I expect to pay to get them fitted? (I don't have the riveting tools).
Expect to pay around £100 for a decent chain and the two sprockets, and around £40 for fitting.

There's an article in this month's Bike mag about fitting them yourself, but having done so myself* it's not something I'd wish on others and I'd certainly be prepared to pay for fitting next time around.

* But had excellent help and assistance from Rictus - and mullered Sid Squid's rivetting kit in the process

Old 19-12-05, 10:26 PM   #3
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

seen this on Ebay

Hope this might help...

if you remove the swinging arm , then there's no need for a chain riveter.

p.s
ebay seller is nothing to do with me
Old 21-12-05, 01:23 AM   #4
tomjones2

i got an origianl chain and sprokets second hand unused for £60

you can do most of the fitting yourself and just take the bike to the shop to have the rivet closer for less than a fiver, if you enjoy spannering then go for it, if you dont it money well spent to have it fitted

take of the front sproket cover, my back sprokets was worn after 15K but the front was finished, it was also making a horible cluncking noise everytime i pulled away which has now gone
Old 21-12-05, 04:36 PM   #5
RandyO

OEM Suzuki is cheapest on a per mile basis, others may have an initial lower cost but will not last as long, aftermarket sprockes will also be noisier
Old 21-12-05, 04:38 PM   #6
jonboy

He speaketh the truth!

Old 21-12-05, 05:13 PM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

Yup, with most aftermarket sets the life is limited by the rear sprocket rather than the chain- especially if you go with an alloy one.

On the subject of which, all alloy sprockets that aren't Renthals seem to be rubbish, by all accounts. The Renthal one I have fitted looks to last about 2/3 as long as an OEM one, though to be fair it's getting a much harder time than the original one did. But it looks so nice

Also, aluminium sprockets are extremely vulnerable to worn or stuff chains, they tear up in no time if you don't look after the chain. There's a theme emerging here...

Personally, I do most of the change myself- I replace the chain and sprockets and fit the new chain with a clip link, then ride to my dealers to have them fit the rive link. Costs me a fiver.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-05, 05:25 PM   #8
jonboy

On another note, it's interesting that to find a chain supplied with a split link is becoming harder and harder - most just have the rivet link.

Old 21-12-05, 05:49 PM   #9
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Another side note:

Has anyone tried these. http://www.supersprox.com/

Aluminium carrier but with steel teeth. Great looks, lighter weight (than standard), longer life????

Not tried them but I am tempted.

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-05, 06:17 PM   #10
tomjones2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
On another note, it's interesting that to find a chain supplied with a split link is becoming harder and harder - most just have the rivet link.

i'm not sure if its a good idea but i fitted the rivet link on using a pair of molegrips and then slowly rode to the dealer, it was a right battle to get the final plate on and it seemed pretty solid