SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-08-08, 07:34 AM   #1
Endellion

Default Help me lift my front wheel

Now I know this has probably been covered but I have looked and couldn't find an answer so...

I am after a new chain and sprockets soonish and want better acceleration. I am wondering what set or individual items I should buy, eg exact numbers of teeth for each sprocket. I have heard that 2 less teeth on the back is one way to go? Any help much appreciated. Do gold chains have any advantage over standard? Or do they just look good. I use the SV on the road only although next year I want to take it to the track.
Old 26-08-08, 10:02 AM   #2
punyXpress
Mega Poster

Default Re: Help me lift my front wheel

I am after a new chain and sprockets soonish and want better acceleration. I am wondering what set or individual items I should buy, eg exact numbers of teeth for each sprocket. I have heard that 2 less teeth on the back is one way to go?

Fewer teeth on the back will raise the gearing & make wheelies less likely?
punyXpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-08, 10:35 AM   #3
riktherider

if you want quicker acceleration, go one down on the front, or 3 up on the back. dont do both, its silly. tried it for a little while, but it just screamed without seeming to go that fast. think ive got the standard front with 3 larger on the back. lifts up pretty easy and doesnt effect top speed to much either.
Old 26-08-08, 10:39 AM   #4
olden mgroin

hey riktherider did you have to get a longer chain?
Old 26-08-08, 04:02 PM   #5
riktherider

not sure compared to the one i had on, might have had a link or two less. changed it all at the same time so couldnt tell you. normally when you buy a chain you have to take a couple out, cant remember how many i had to take out. might be enough movement in the rear wheel to accept it though.,
Old 26-08-08, 05:53 PM   #6
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by riktherider View Post
if you want quicker acceleration, go one down on the front, or 3 up on the back. dont do both
The SV650 will wheelie with ease on stock gearing, altering the gearing only substitutes the skill required.
Old 26-08-08, 09:26 PM   #7
Endellion

Does anyone know what the best sprockets and chain for the job are?
Old 26-08-08, 10:29 PM   #8
jimmy-james

Tripple S chains and JT sprockets on mine nothing fancy but the gold chain looks sweet and does the job. If you are racing and want to save weight get an did X ring chain and Renthal sprockets but beware the light weight sprockets wear quicker.
Old 26-08-08, 10:43 PM   #9
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Abba stand's probably easier than Block & tackle to suspend from the garage ceiling.

What?
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-08, 10:46 PM   #10
SV-net

My road bike is a standard SV650 K3 with standard sprockets and chain and the front lifts ok with those on. In fact I find its quite light on the front as the 650 has a nice power delivery which can be used to its full potential with confidence. You need to learn this on standard gearing first because once its mastered then the fun can start, soon after this you will want to play with the gearing for more thrills.