SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 12-12-11, 08:59 AM   #21
-Ralph-

Default Re: Close or what!!

Old 12-12-11, 01:45 PM   #22
Red Herring
Mega Poster

The wingsuit clip is proper dare devil stuff, the vids with the bikes in are just everyday facts of life. The first two are just plain examples of inappropriate speed for the circumstance, as YC says you just don't ride into things like that unless you are a complete idiot. The white van man was just plain predictable, aggravated by the speed of the bike and the rider not reacting early enough, but the oncoming one looks interesting..... You really need to see the forward view to make a proper call but the pickup is clearly over the white line, but then the bike rider isn't completely to his left either, so is he is going into a right hand bend a bit early or did the truck suddenly swerve across? Either way as close goes....that's pretty much it!
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-11, 06:09 PM   #23
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

The 'Grinding the Crack' clip is stunning in its lunacy. I love the fact he's wearing a helmet. its going to help tons when you smack into the side of the hill at that speed.

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-11, 05:46 PM   #24
sorebutt

OK,

Guess I'll eat my hat....
Old 14-12-11, 06:33 PM   #25
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

This is close too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFdGKeQph-Q
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-11, 10:06 PM   #26
DJFridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
What a tit! When you see a big collection of buildings along the side of the road, do you not expect there's going to be an entrance vehicles can pull out of? Then to make it worse before he starts the overtake of the second bike, you can actually see the car sitting there! Not sure what country this is, but I'm assuming the big orange diamond shaped signpost that you'd have to be blind to miss, warns of some kind of danger too, and I'm assuming the double yellow lines mean no overtaking?
That's not nearly as close as it looks at first. As he's overtaking his mate, he thinks he has got plenty of time to either pull back into the correct lane if the car stays put or do as he did - he saw the car pulling out so he stayed in the other lane to go safely round behind it. As it turned out, he was right.

Of course, he'd have been in trouble if the driver had paused pulling out 'cos he actually saw the bikes. Or stalled. Or changed his mind and turned right. Or the car behind had followed him out. Or etc, etc

Seconded. What a tit!
Old 14-12-11, 10:50 PM   #27
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJFridge View Post
he saw the car pulling out
No he didn't

Listen to the engine, he's way past his mate, the car starts to pull out, he's still accelerating, he changed up a gear and opened throttle again, then after that he saw the car for the first time (because it's pulled right across his path and he'd have to be blind to miss it) and then he throttled off. Then, and only then, he started planning which lane was his escape route as you describe. That was not a video of a rider aware of a hazard, in control of the situation, and actively planning around it.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 14-12-11 at 10:52 PM.
Old 15-12-11, 05:31 PM   #28
DJFridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
No he didn't

Listen to the engine, he's way past his mate, the car starts to pull out, he's still accelerating, he changed up a gear and opened throttle again, then after that he saw the car for the first time (because it's pulled right across his path and he'd have to be blind to miss it) and then he throttled off. Then, and only then, he started planning which lane was his escape route as you describe. That was not a video of a rider aware of a hazard, in control of the situation, and actively planning around it.
I agree with your ears, just not your interpretation. Remember, he thinks he's being clever by hanging out in the wrong lane to go behind the car and moderates his throttle a bit because the car didn't pull out that smartly. But, as I said, he hasn't even considered all the other possible outcomes.

Basically, you think he didn't throttle off immediately because of lack of observation. I think he didn't because he's an overconfident tit. It doesn't really matter, we're both in fairly good agreement that he is, indeed a Jordan sized tit!
Old 15-12-11, 11:58 PM   #29
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJFridge View Post
Basically, you think he didn't throttle off immediately because of lack of observation. I think he didn't because he's an overconfident tit!
Neither of us can mind-read via a you tube video. I'm just going for the more plausible explanation that would be typical of most bikers. If an accident investigator had to reconstruct an accident and draw a conclusion, he'd do the same thing.
Old 16-12-11, 12:39 AM   #30
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
A true professional, instead of standing there going wtf and filling his underclackers, he gets his camera aimed and takes some pics