SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 09-06-11, 09:54 PM   #81
christopher

Default Re: Michelin Pilot Road 3's

Got a set fitted earlier, be interesting to see how they compare to the Avon Storms. I loved the original ones, but never seemed to gel with the Ultras so much (not that it stopped me riding them pretty hard at times).

Anyway only rode these 30 miles (on close to straight A roads) home so far, will be riding properly with them over the coming weeks. Not too fussed what I get mileage wise as I know it won't be stupidly low, as long as they compare to the Storms (6000 out of a rear) I'll be happy if the dry/wet grip is there.
christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-11, 02:38 PM   #82
Specialone

Rode 205 miles today, some sections of the A483 were wet/damp so first time in the wet really, didn't give me any reason to distrust them at all.

Probably took some corners today in the damp quicker than I have in the dry before but that's down to my ability or lack of, rather than my old tyres.

So far, not bad !!
Old 14-06-11, 07:55 AM   #83
darylB

just put a pair of these on my sprint to replace the storm ultras which in the words of the fitter were totally fubared, he thought the rear was well under pressure due to the flat profile and the feathering on them around the edges,, checked and the pressure was spot on, then asked if I carried heavy weight on the back, er no, neither Bev or Fran are heavy, said I must be cornering at decent speeds then, . He said the PR3's different profile should allow the bike to drop into corners better but isn't sure about the longevity due to the amount of tread grooves in the tyres so will have to see. Said they looked like intermediate race tyres.

Daryl.
Old 14-06-11, 09:18 AM   #84
Specialone

Be interesting to see how you get on with these Daryl, i don't know why but I feel a sensation of movement a little bit under heavy braking, something I never got with the stock 020's, I presume slightly softer compound or something.

I've added more preload on the front and set rear shock up to the manual for firmer setting to see if it changes things.

Could be all in my head I guess
Old 14-06-11, 01:24 PM   #85
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
Be interesting to see how you get on with these Daryl, i don't know why but I feel a sensation of movement a little bit under heavy braking, something I never got with the stock 020's, I presume slightly softer compound or something.

I've added more preload on the front and set rear shock up to the manual for firmer setting to see if it changes things.

Could be all in my head I guess
What are your pressures like, have you checked them since the tyre fitter blew them up?
Old 14-06-11, 01:40 PM   #86
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
What are your pressures like, have you checked them since the tyre fitter blew them up?
36 front, check them every ride.
Old 14-06-11, 03:34 PM   #87
paiste

Well I put the wet weather claims to the test (as much as I could) riding home from the Moto GP at Silverstone on Sunday. They were great in the wet allowing for me anyway far greater lean angles and speed through corners and roundabouts than any other tyre I've had.

As a disclaimer though my idea of speed and lean angles are quite probably a lot less than any other moderately talented rider. My confidence is certainly up in the wet. not nearly as many moments when my bumhole twitches like a rabbits nose and that is good enough for me!
Old 25-06-11, 04:49 PM   #88
darylB

I'm well impressed with these tyres, they have transformed the handling, the bike drops into corners much more easily, haven't noticed any problem under heavy braking, (could be down to the fact i'm such a smoothe rider) . haven't tried them in very wet conditions yet but on damp roads they are really confidence inspiring and i'm already convinced they are a brilliant tyre.

Daryl.
Old 28-06-11, 10:45 AM   #89
Brettus

Just ordered a new rear for £140 fitted ride in ride out. sounded alright to me, cheapest I saw on ebay was £137 delivered so I can't argue. Steve is never far wrong though. The PR2 front is still alright so it should stay a reasonable match for now. My review is bound to be biased though as I love my PR2's, I get 10k+ to a rear and usually around 15 from a front.
K6 SV650S Sport: GSXR 1000 front end, Penske shock, F.Fabbri DB clear screen, colour matched hugger, Corbin riders seat, Evotech tail tidy, Akrapovic full system, Twin 55w HID lights, Givi rack and..... the biggest top box known to man
Quote:
"Well I've met God and he had nothing to say to me"
Brettus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-11, 11:04 AM   #90
-Ralph-

Posting this so anyone reading the thread is aware of both good and bad reviews

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=168142

Would tyres get that hot on a track day? I know the PR3's have been tested on track by professional riders.