SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

2010 Annual Rideout Discussions & info on the 2010 SV650.org's annual rideout

Old 30-07-10, 09:28 AM   #21
-Ralph-

Default Re: Doing the rideout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil24_7 View Post
car park kill switch!!!
I thought you meant backfiring too, ie: rev, then hit the kill switch.

What you mean is hit the kill switch, then watch and laugh as the rider fiddles with ignition, clutch, side stand and neutral, trying to figure out why the bike won't start.

Won't work for me, I flick off my kill switch every time I stop the bike, so I'm used to turning it on every time.

Sitting next to somebody at traffic lights, then hitting their kill switch just as the light turns green, and riding away, is much more fun anyway!

Last edited by -Ralph-; 30-07-10 at 09:30 AM.
Old 30-07-10, 09:43 AM   #22
phil24_7
Mega Poster

Your very last comment is what I meant. In Tesco last year, there were a fair few of us hitting the kill switch of the person next to us. T'was an amusing way to pass the time for a couple minutes!

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
phil24_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-10, 09:47 AM   #23
Drew Carey
Not Fizzwheel
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyzio View Post
When the group gets spread out, you might find that you can't see anyone. So you might not know where to turn etc.

The job of the marker is to mark a junction and tell you where to go so you don't get lost. The marker waits at a junction until another maker arrives or until everyone has passed (TEC)
All you need to worry about is enjoying the ride, enjoying the scenery and being aware of other riders.

Markers will direct people at any junctions and if you see a marker asking you to do something then please follow their instructions.

Other than that, enjoy the ride.

Hovis RIP Buddy - 13/08/1975 - 03/10/2009
"Feckinnnn Unluckkeeeeeeee"
Drew Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-10, 10:23 AM   #24
Bear

The AR is always a big ride out and I've marked the last 3. People know what to expect by now, and the pre-ride briefing confirms this, so we generally don't have too many idiots hooning about during the ride.

Ride at your own pace, give each other and the markers plenty of room, don't worry about the route as the markers are there to make sure you don't get lost, you probably won't be the slowest rider there, and even if you are it really doesn't matter due to the way the marker system is organised.

Most of all have fun!

There's very little to be worried about as far as I can see!
Old 30-07-10, 10:28 AM   #25
Kate Moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
The AR is always a big ride out and I've marked the last 3. People know what to expect by now, and the pre-ride briefing confirms this, so we generally don't have too many idiots hooning about during the ride.

Ride at your own pace, give each other and the markers plenty of room, don't worry about the route as the markers are there to make sure you don't get lost, you probably won't be the slowest rider there, and even if you are it really doesn't matter due to the way the marker system is organised.

Most of all have fun!

There's very little to be worried about as far as I can see!
Apart from you!!!
Old 30-07-10, 10:41 AM   #26
jambo
Mega Poster

I have helped mark / look into the route for a couple of the ARs, and I would suggest the following:

Please don't fuss about being at the back if you're worried you'll be slow. It simply doesn't work like that. At the front the pace is actually slightly more consistent as people get less of an accordien effect going on. But it's entirely down to you. The people at the front will NOT be going bat-out-of-hell fast anyway unless they want the group hideously spread out.

Tim and I have had discussions about the dropping in & out of the rideout in the past. The simple point is every time people stop the markers have to check that they're OK, or just blast past assuming everyone must be on a fag break. It's an extra thing to check while hearding 100+ cats. However, I see his point and at the AR07 his mob got used to waving to show they were OK, so we did alright.

The ride is not a precession. Please don't overtake the markers, but you aren't expected to sit in single-file. A little common sense goes a long way, if you start buzzing people and being a twit purely for your own gratification you'll upset people and get a dressing down to boot. And how's that part of the fun weekend you wanted to come to?

While the AR is a big ride, it's traditionally been organised very well and people have had no problems getting where we're going, at a pace they're happy with*

*provided they weren't after a banzi charge carving up as many fellow riders as possible. In which case they've missed the point entirely.

I for one, am looking forward to being part of the group and enjoying the ride!

Jambo

Last edited by jambo; 30-07-10 at 10:42 AM.
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-10, 10:43 AM   #27
Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate Moss View Post
Apart from you!!!
Yeah, but unless I'm looking in a mirror I can't see myself...
Old 30-07-10, 11:47 AM   #28
phil24_7
Mega Poster

What...so you can't even see your hands or feet without looking in the mirror...weird!

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
phil24_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-10, 01:29 PM   #29
dyzio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Carey View Post
All you need to worry about is enjoying the ride, enjoying the scenery and being aware of other riders.

Markers will direct people at any junctions and if you see a marker asking you to do something then please follow their instructions.

Other than that, enjoy the ride.
Not worried at all mate

Hongman was just asking what a "marker" does
dyzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-10, 02:27 PM   #30
kwak zzr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate Moss View Post
Apart from you!!!
Never met you BEAR but you seem to have gained a reputation lol