SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-11-18, 10:54 PM   #1
Paul55

Default Bung or No Bung?

I can't make up my mind whether to fit crash bungs on my 2016 AL7. It won't see a race track, won't see the rain either, unless I get caught out in it & definitely won't be used in stupidly low temps. It's not going to be a commuter, I don't work anymore, it's going to used for fun rides out to wherever I fancy. I've done all the above over many years & it's nice to be in this position. Anyway, back to the question of bungs or not< love to hear your thoughts on them.
Old 02-11-18, 01:03 AM   #2
Talking Heads

Default Re: Bung or No Bung?

If you ever drop it, crash bungs just add to the list of things which will need replaced.
The idea that crash bungs can prevent your bike getting damaged in a collision/spill is utterly laughable.
Don't fit crash bungs, don't ride like a **** and don't crash.
Simple.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-18, 07:46 AM   #3
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

They save your bike if you drop it at very low speeds. I dropped mine when I left the bike in 2nd gear when I stopped, started it up and tried to do a U turn and stalled. Not 1 mark on the forks or anywhere on the bike, just light scuffs on the bungs. High speed I don't think they'd save much
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-18, 07:48 AM   #4
Craig380
Mega Poster

My K6 S had R&G bungs fitted when I bought it. A couple of years back, I'd stopped to help a biker who was doing roadside repairs, and while I was doing so the bike rolled off its side-stand because of the road camber, and went down hard on the road surface.

The damage was a scuffed bung (I trimmed off the scuffed bits with a craft knife), a cracked indicator lens (glued) and the toe peg broke off the gear lever (welded back on for a fiver).

Without the bungs, I reckon it would have done a lot more damage (cracked fairing, bent clutch lever, etc). I can't say how effective bungs are in a crash at speed, though.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-18, 09:16 AM   #5
shiftin_gear98

I too have dropped my bike, if I'm honest 3 times now. Various reasons.
My R&G bungs have saved the lower fairings on my SK6 on all occasions. They didn't save the rear tail plastic though.

Hoping to not find out what they do when crashed at speed.

If you want to buy some buy them, if you don't then don't. As that annoying meerkat says. Simples.

Last edited by shiftin_gear98; 02-11-18 at 01:52 PM.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-18, 12:23 PM   #6
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

They put insurance costs up when you add them to get a quote online. Almost as if you're saying that you have them fitted because you intend to crash!

I've got some fitted (from previous owner). They look like carbon on the outside but having taken the end caps off and seen inside it looks like they're nothing more than a hollow plastic tube, with carbon effect plastic around the outside and flimsy plastic end cap. Can't see them doing much if dragged along the ground with the weight of a bike on. But for a low speed drop? Might stop something else touching the ground?
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-18, 01:08 PM   #7
Paul55

Thanks for the input guys. I didn't think of the insurance angle I must admit.
Old 02-11-18, 06:46 PM   #8
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

I vote yes to bungs. They certainly work in stationary or very low speed drops which are quite a common thing. Faster crashes are probably going to wreck the bike anyway.
Old 02-11-18, 08:57 PM   #9
Paul55

Thanks for your take on them BB
Old 08-11-18, 07:39 PM   #10
Kambo

I think it’s the name, it doesn’t help having the the word crash in there

They should call them slow speed/stationary bobbins on the side that will save you some pennies - or something like that...

I forget they are there, had them on my last big bike and last owner put them on this one but both bungs and bike were black so it’s easy to forget they are there but they are serving a purpose if it goes over
Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote