SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-09-08, 08:52 AM   #1
lpjones

Default High idle when warm K2

Hi, i'm new to this forum, having just returned to biking and just bought low milage SV 650 K2. On riding it back it refused to idle below 3000 revs. No problem i thought, stuck thottle cable, not that. Studied the posts, stuck choke, not those. Thottle flaps returning ok, idle adjuster backed off, all pipes look good. So obvious probs checked, any ideas on what to look at next? Thanks Leighton.
Old 22-09-08, 10:40 AM   #2
jambo
Mega Poster

Default Re: High idle when warm K2

It's entirely possible I'm missing something fundamental here. If you can find the idle speed adjuster on the left hand side of the bike, warm the bike up and then turn it down so it's idling at ~1,500rpm.

When it's starting from cold it may need a little choke and idle a bit low, but when warm it shouldn't be that high. The adjuster's down where your left knee would be if you were riding.

HTH

Jambo

BTW: Welcome to the forum
Old 22-09-08, 10:41 AM   #3
plowsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
It's entirely possible I'm missing something fundamental here. If you can find the idle speed adjuster on the left hand side of the bike, warm the bike up and then turn it down so it's idling at ~1,500rpm.

When it's starting from cold it may need a little choke and idle a bit low, but when warm it shouldn't be that high. The adjuster's down where your left knee would be if you were riding.

HTH

Jambo
I was gonna say that, but see red...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpjones View Post
Hi, i'm new to this forum, having just returned to biking and just bought low milage SV 650 K2. On riding it back it refused to idle below 3000 revs. No problem i thought, stuck thottle cable, not that. Studied the posts, stuck choke, not those. Thottle flaps returning ok, idle adjuster backed off, all pipes look good. So obvious probs checked, any ideas on what to look at next? Thanks Leighton.
Hence me watching this thread wth great interest.
Old 22-09-08, 11:02 AM   #4
jambo
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowsie View Post
I was gonna say that, but see red...

Hence me watching this thread wth great interest.
AND I read it twice! Ah well the above all being correct, could you possibly fill in some more details on how you checked the choke, and whether you've had the carbs out of the bike. I'd have to be thinking of a stuck choke plunger (the choke lever may still move just fine with one stuck plunger), but again you say you've checked that.

Jambo