SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-03-07, 11:17 AM   #1
01 sv650s

Default Urgent help needed - bleeding front brakes

i am trying to bleed my front calipers with a mity vac but the system is not bleeding. can anyone tell me if there is a catch to bleeding the brakes. thanks
Old 11-03-07, 12:35 PM   #2
$tevo

Default Re: Urgent help needed - bleeding front brakes

Are you making sure that you are tightening the nipple while the vacuum is still operating?

You are obviously not letting the master cylinder run dry are you?
Old 11-03-07, 03:02 PM   #3
kcowgergmm

i have had the rear master cylinder and it wouldn't let any brake fluid through i still haven't taken it apart yet to see what was wrong
Old 11-03-07, 03:47 PM   #4
Banus

I know this aint gonna help much but recently I've read so many horror stories of peeps having a mare trying to change brake fluid and / or bleed their brakes that for the sake of a few quid (I've been quoted £30 for new fluid and labour) I think I 'll get someone to sort mine !
Old 11-03-07, 08:45 PM   #5
embee
Mega Poster

Should be a piece of cake with the Mityvac (I use one).

Take top off reservoir, take the diaphragm out, don't drip any brake fluid onto paintwork or wash it off with plenty of water straight away if you do.

Use Mityvac with the canister to suck the old fluid out. This way you don't mix too much old/new fluid.

Fill the reservoir with fresh stuff.

Fit Mityvac to one caliper nipple, apply some vacuum to the canister, then crack the nipple open and allow fluid to be sucked out. Don't worry about air getting in through the threads of the nipple, it can't get into the hydraulic system.

Keep an eye on the level in the reservoir and don't let it get too low. When it needs topping up, just close the nipple and top up.

Repeat with the other caliper.

I usually do each side a couple of times to make sure all old fluid is purged.

Finally top fluid in reservoir up to the correct level, refit the diaphragm, refit the cap, check the level and that should be it.

I've once had an instance on an oldish car where I couldn't get any fluid out with the Mityvac alone, and had to use the footbrake to help it along. The fluid was like milky coffee when it did come out! Once the sludge was shifted it bled as normal.

Last edited by embee; 11-03-07 at 08:49 PM.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote