SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-10-10, 10:53 PM   #1
monkey

Question I'm revolting! I have a Lambretta. Opinions required and questions

Hello mighty organs.

I admit it. For the last ten years or so I've been harbouring a secret. I have a classic scooter.

It was bought on a whim when I was young and even more stupid than I am now (I think). Since then it sat in my parents garden for a couple of years until they moved and it was then moved into my garage where it's sat maturing. The only riding I did on it was round and round the garden. It's actually what got me into riding bikes but I won't go into that.

I've been toying with the idea of selling it but have decided that I might regret never having used it so I'm going to at least get it on the road and see what happens. If I do then it's a keeper but if not I should get a couple of hundred quid extra for it being on the road if I flog it.

I reckon that with my limited knowledge of spannering and a book or two I can get it back on the road and plan on doing all the mechanical stuff myself. I was going to leave the old bits looking old as they were when the bike was imported and replace only what needs replacing. The bodywork however is a slightly different story. The people I bought it off done a smashing job (NOT!) of hand painting it in Chelsea colours, not that I've got anything against Chelsea but I don't like rubbish paint jobs, especially on lovely classics. I don't know what it was painted with and it hasn't got brush strokes, but it isn't pretty. It's pretty similar to Specialone's (now gone) Lammy but is MUCH quicker with about another whole horsepower more!

My plan with the paintwork is to hopefully remove the rubbish to show off the lovely light metallic blue (and probably some light brown) beneath and this is where I ask questions!

How can I get the bodged paint off without removing the original colour?

The only way I can think of is to manually rub it down until I see the colour I want.

If that is the only way would I just need tons of elbow grease and wet and dry?

I've read that the top coats won't be as hardcore as the original paint as it probably wasn't baked in an oven. Could that provide me with a method?

Your mighty organ opinions are welcomed but keep the slagging to a minimum. I am 99% biker, I just like to try new thing.

P.S. Specialone I hope you don't mind me linking to your thread.
Old 19-10-10, 10:57 PM   #2
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Default Re: I'm revolting! I have a Lambretta. Opinions required and questions

(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-10, 11:00 PM   #3
Specialone

I only got rid of my Li150 back in feb this year, i love lambys.

No shame, ill post a pic of mine in a bit.

Probably should have read your whole thread first

Last edited by Specialone; 19-10-10 at 11:03 PM.
Old 19-10-10, 11:11 PM   #4
Specialone

Respray it mate, by the time you have unsuccessfully tried to remove the bad paint it wont be worth it.
Only thing that stopped mine being a minter the paintwork.

If you havent got 12v electronic on it, fit it, cos they start crap without it.
Old 19-10-10, 11:31 PM   #5
monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lone_wolf View Post
I like you! (But that's because you're very effeminate )

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
Respray it mate, by the time you have unsuccessfully tried to remove the bad paint it wont be worth it.
Only thing that stopped mine being a minter the paintwork.

If you havent got 12v electronic on it, fit it, cos they start crap without it.
Thanks. I actually quite like the look of old scooters looking their age, arts and all, which is why I'd like to do it this way. As far as I know and can tell everything else is pretty much how it was when it was built. I love the fact that there is loads of information out there about old scooters.

I've heard about the wonders of electronic ignition but am going to try it out as it is first. I didn't seem to have any trouble starting it all those years ago although if I were to ride it at night I'd have to stick those push bike flashing lights all over it!

Did you have the Complete Spanners Manual Specialone and if so is it really as good as I've heard? My very first job is to have a look inside the engine casings to check it all out. I was told that a gasket was leaking between the gearbox and engine when I bought the scooter but so far haven't been able to identify which or where.

Oh yeah it's an Li125 Special with a whopping... hold on to your hats ladies... 7.12 hp!

Last edited by monkey; 19-10-10 at 11:34 PM.
Old 19-10-10, 11:39 PM   #6
monkey

THIS is like mine (in a slightly better condition though)
Old 20-10-10, 09:07 AM   #7
mister c
Mega Poster

Nowt wrong with scooters though I wouldn't own one myself. Used to ride a few when I was a CBT Instructor & they arent that bad.
Watched some scooter racing at 3 Sisters a few weeks ago & I am very tempted to sell my FZR & buy a scoot, they looked great fun on track.
Get her done up & have a play
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-10, 09:19 AM   #8
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
I like you! (But that's because you're very effeminate )
Daaaaaaaahling

I'm not effeminate, I'm FABULOUS!!!

(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-10, 09:29 AM   #9
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Thats soooo ghey....ringadingdingding!

Mind you saying that, theres one parked up in town*, so many mirrors on it, you can't see the front end. Its a lovely example.

*outside the florists, seriously, belongs to a very gay fella, who owns the shop!

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-10, 09:33 AM   #10
minimorecambe

About ten went past me the other day and one of them was covered in mirrors at the front!