SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-02-08, 09:53 AM   #1
G
Mega Poster

Default RE: Chain Tension

Recently my chain has become very very loose, and it seems to have become that way very quickly.

Could this purely be because my last 750+ miles have been mainly 2up riding with my girlfriend, does this stretch the chain more than usual, or is there likely to be deeper issues to think about?

How much would somewhere charge to tighten it up quickly. I dont have a rear padock stand and my torque wrench has broken.

Its about the only thing left to do for it to be 100%. It just felt very strange riding it on sunday, didnt feel right at all + the back wheel seemed to be locking up loads which i thought I had managed to stop doing and I'm sure I'm not riding any different to normal. Would a very loose chain add to this, or am I infact just riding like a goon.

Thanks in Advance
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-08, 10:35 AM   #2
flymo
Mega Poster

Default Re: Chain Tension

Quote:
Originally Posted by graemepaterson View Post
Recently my chain has become very very loose, and it seems to have become that way very quickly.

Could this purely be because my last 750+ miles have been mainly 2up riding with my girlfriend, does this stretch the chain more than usual, or is there likely to be deeper issues to think about?

How much would somewhere charge to tighten it up quickly. I dont have a rear padock stand and my torque wrench has broken.

Its about the only thing left to do for it to be 100%. It just felt very strange riding it on sunday, didnt feel right at all + the back wheel seemed to be locking up loads which i thought I had managed to stop doing and I'm sure I'm not riding any different to normal. Would a very loose chain add to this, or am I infact just riding like a goon.

Thanks in Advance
You dont need a torque wrench or even a paddock stand to do this, just a spanner and something to loosen the main wheel nut (24mm socket or a large adjustable spanner)

I wont make any comments on the girlfriend side , may depend on how heavy she is! nah, it depends more on wether it was adjusted properly in the first place and how old or worn the chain/sprockets are.

To adjust it though you simply need to loosen the rear wheel axle nut, not much just enough that the rear wheel will slide back/forward when you adjust the nuts on the chain adjusters.

The adjusters are at the rear of each swing arm leg (sorry if you know this already). On the side you should have a gradient scale enabling you to adjust each one by exactly the same amount. A good tip is to move the nuts half a turn at a time each, that way you wont take the wheel out of alignment.

Ideally the chain slack should be checked with somebody sitting on the bike, get a helper (your girlfriend) to sit on the bike normally and adjust while shes on it. You need to end up with about 25mm approx of slack mid way along the chain (thats up and down movement).

When you're happy, tighen up the main wheel nut and away you go. If you dont have a torque wrench just make sure its nice and tight, you'll find it pretty difficult to overtighten the main nut.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-08, 10:38 AM   #3
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Where in the SV manual does it say chain slack should be checked with someone on the bike?
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-08, 10:52 AM   #4
G
Mega Poster

She is not that heavy but I am

I'm maybe 13.5 - 14stone and she is about 8 stone or there abouts.

To be fair I checked the chain whilst off the bike but it comfortably had enough slack in it to beable to touch the rubber buffer bit on the swing arm.

I will get someone more in the know to check it first then maybe have a look into doing it myself, I just hate adjusting parts without torquing them up right on the basis that a torque setting has been given for a reason lol.

The chain has only seen 3300 miles of action, some of it 2up and the rest of it 'spirited' riding.
Old 25-02-08, 10:53 AM   #5
flymo
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
Where in the SV manual does it say chain slack should be checked with someone on the bike?
It probably doesnt, thats just something I've always done on other bikes. Ok, feel free to sit or not sit during adjustment. You'll be in the right ball park either way.
Old 25-02-08, 10:58 AM   #6
flymo
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by graemepaterson View Post
I just hate adjusting parts without torquing them up right on the basis that a torque setting has been given for a reason lol.
For the most part thats correct, sometimes to ensure that the bolt isnt done up too tight, sometimes to make sure that the correct amount of stretch is applied to the bolt. But this particular bolt is most likely to have a torque setting to ensure its on tight enough that it wont come loose.

On the pointy its 100Nm which is 'bloody tight' on my scientific scale of 'tightness'. If you're not comfortable then as you say get somebody to do it for you.
Old 25-02-08, 11:10 AM   #7
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

How often do you lube the chain?3000 miles without maintenance will be enough to destroy it.
Old 25-02-08, 11:14 AM   #8
G
Mega Poster

Lubed every 100 - 200 miles with pj1, its always kept in great condition.
Old 25-02-08, 11:21 AM   #9
ejohnh

Manual says check slack while bike is on sidestand(curvy that is).

Harsh acceleration and closed throttle decelerating using the engine(enough to lock the back wheel?) only will increase wear rate. Your chain will be under greater load with 2 up as well. However the most chainwear will be associated with not keeping it clean and lubricated.

I got a scott oiler which seems to work fine. Chain always looks clean and lubed. Rear wheel rim looks dirty and lubed, but I'd rather degrease the wheel every week than worry about the chain and sprockets giving up before time. )
Old 25-02-08, 12:20 PM   #10
northwind
Mega Poster

If the chain's too tight in the first place it'll wear fast, since the movement of the suspension uses up slack, and naturally the suspension compresses more with 2 people than with one. But that's a total guess
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote