SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-09-06, 02:42 PM   #1
Reh

Default Failed MOT, NewB, brakes problems!

Hello all

Firstly like to say that this Forum seems to be a haven for all SV owners, I've already become familiar with a few people names! (Hey Northwind!). I'd like to apologise if this has been asked before - I promise, I read for 5 hours, and then decided to post.

I'm a newbie - Passed my Direct Access around this time last year, soon after bought a Curvy in Yellow (nice) , bought a lid, leathers, the works then got on the road...

Problem - I haven't ridden much since my mates all live accross county, so I've put 500 miles on it in a year (PAYG insurance).

Failed its MOT, at the dealers (Powersport Bikes in Bradford (near Leeds), west yorks). They Said:

Stand is Loose
Front brakes are binding
Front pads need replacing
Exhaust (aftermarket can) is TOO loud
Rear brake hose is too close to the exhaust (hence dangerous!??)

to fix all of the above, they said... £260 odd quids!!!

Seemed a little steep to me. Been reading the forum (registered today) since 8am this morning. My background with mechanics - I'm failry competent, got a decent ratchet set and other tools, and got myself a Haynes manual - got a garage too.

Yesterday myself, and a slightly more mechanicaly minded friend changed the exhaust to the stock/standard one. Went ok, bar the fact that he didn't spot the two nuts on the back part of the exhaust (infront of the shocker). Also managed to tighten the loose stand, which now leaves.... err the brakes (HELP!!!).

Problem - I really and desperately need to sort the front brakes out. Come to think of it the front are binding, since when I push the bike, it seems like it weighs a few tonne!!

I've read many posts on the forum today, and have a general idea of what needs to be done. I think it goes like this:

Remove caliper
bleed system
push out pistons
replace seals
replace pistons
replace caliper
and fill? (oh and replace pads at some point)

Now I PM'd a very kind member, Dirty Baz(after reading one of his posts) and he pointed me to this - http://shop.wemoto.com/index.dyn?oid=1915477 AND explained a few terms. However I wondered if anyone can tell me what I need to do, in the correct order, with any useful tips. My bike's been neglected since deciding against paying the £260 (thinking they were tryin to rip me off).

For clarity I know what the following terms mean:

Brake Pad
Caliper
Piston
Brake Fluid

and on the flip side, I don't really understand the following, and/or how it works, or how to remove/replace:

Piston
Brake Seal
Dust Seal

Hoping that all of the above was useful banter, I wonder if any of you guys can help?

How do I go about this? (From the link that Dirty BAz sent me, I know WHERE to get the seal's if i need them, I think someone's also selling some HH sintered pads on flea-bay?

Sorry if any of the above sounds vague, I'm more than happy to answer any questions, and most certainly, any help would be MORE than appreciated.

thanks in advance

Reh.
Old 07-09-06, 02:53 PM   #2
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Default Re: Failed MOT, NewB, brakes problems!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reh
Stand is Loose Always is on an older bikes like the curvey, not a problem, if it is then you probably need a new bolt to sort it as it gets worn out, or get a SRAD sidestand.
Front brakes are binding Clean the brake pistons with a fine toothbush and brake cleaner, if this does not work then you may need to strip calipers
Front pads need replacing around £25 for a set, EBC or Armstrong are fairly good.
Exhaust (aftermarket can) is TOO loud Put stock can on or get DB killer or go to another MOT center that is more frendly.
Rear brake hose is too close to the exhaust (hence dangerous!??) If its OEM and the exhaust is standard level, tell him to get stuffed, if its because of the exhaust , try moving the brake line so that the slack is under the swingarm.

to fix all of the above, they said... £260 odd quids!!!
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-06, 03:12 PM   #3
Dirty Baz

<waves> not been on for ages, how are you all?

Hi again. Ok let's get the terminology sorted first.

Like car brakes you've got a caliper (black thing that says Tomiko or whatever) and a disc. Inside each of the calipers are 2 pistons. These pistons are pushed back and forth via the brake fluid in the system when you pull the lever. The pistons push one of the brake pads against the disc, the other is fixed in position, and this stops the bike.

What I've been describing is a full brake overhaul with new seals etc, I was taking about taking everything apart piece by piece but I don't think we need to do that just yet.

First of all, I'd remove the binding caliper via the 2 big bolts that hold it on to the fork.
Now you will be able to see the insides of the caliper. Find the pads and at the bottom you'll see a thick pin going through the bottom of caliper and both pads.
Next I'd remove the little r-clip on this pin and remove the pin itself. I'd recomend mole grips and losts of twisting/pulling motion to get it out.
Once this is out, the 2 pads will come out, remember which why they face. There are some little metal doo-dahs behind the pads, you can take these off and clean them if you want but don't forget to put them back on.
Next I'd pump the brake lever very slightly to expose the pistons (they are the 2 hollow cylinders ressessed into the caliper. Once you have a bit exposed you should hopefully see shiney gold metal, that's what they should look like. The top of the piston will be dirty.
Nows the time to check the seals. They should be sitting nicely in a little channel around the piston. If not, they may need replacing like we talked about earlier.
If they are ok, clean the whole of the piston and caliper as best you can with brake fluid (Dot4 stuff from Halfords).
Once that's clean, use a piece of wood and g-clamps to brace the 2 pistons and gently force the pistons back into the calipers. DO NOT force them all the way in, just enouigh so you have room to put these back over the disk when the pads are back in place.
Now get your new pads, put on the little metal tings on the back of the new pads and coat the BACK of the pads with copper grease.
Put the new pads in place and push the pin back into place. Please coat the pin in copper grease too cause it will help in the future!
Put the R-clip back in place and then carefull put the caliper into place over the disc. Make sure the pads are on the correct side of the disc, one on either side.
Bolt it up and stry the brakes.

The above should help unbind the brakes and it means you don't need to worry about losing any fluid, bleeding, new seals, rubber grease etc.

This should be enough to pass the MOT!
Old 07-09-06, 03:27 PM   #4
Dirty Baz

Oh yeah, and if you have been speaking to Northwind all will be sorted shortly!!! He knows his stuff!

If you do need Red Rubber Grease then PM me your address but hopefully you won't need to strip the whole thing.
Old 07-09-06, 04:12 PM   #5
Warren

to find out which calipar is binding, take it for a quick spin,avoiding the use of the front brake,

then touch the discs, if they are both hot, then they are both binding, if only one is hot, thats the binding one.

you could always take each calipar off and see which one is the culprit though.
Old 07-09-06, 04:27 PM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Baz
Oh yeah, and if you have been speaking to Northwind all will be sorted shortly!!! He knows his stuff!
Nah, it's all been covered
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-06, 05:50 PM   #7
El Saxo

Hiya Reh, I thought your name / location looked familiar!

Welcome to the site mate, but be careful, Stretchie lurks around these parts sometimes

Wish I could help with the bike mate but I'm clueless sorry, just wanted to say hi...

When you do get the bike sorted, give me a shout & I'll come up your way for that rideout that we never got round to!

Anyway, sorry for the derail - as you were...
Old 11-09-06, 07:53 AM   #8
Reh

Awight Mate!

Long time no hear Andy! Seems I'm the only one (apart from Riz ofcourse!) who hasn't done any riding!

Shame, I have a garage now too! just got put off the MOT failing! that and the fact that I can't really afford to pay e-bike £65 a month for Pay as you Go insurance!

Good to hear from you - you using your's for commuting now? That Stretchie keeps promising to come up 'for the weekend', and ofcourse offers to 'help to do the bike' but never seems to be able to make it for one reason or another!

The rideout!! DEFO! I'll even see if we can get some of these other Ghost Riders out too!

Take care fella!

Reh!
Old 11-09-06, 11:13 PM   #9
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reh
That Stretchie keeps promising to come up 'for the weekend' but never seems to be able to make it for one reason or another!
Brother K, that hurts, you KNOW I haven't been there for valid reasons. I will gladly come up get get my suit curried when I can .

I'm seriously planning on dropping the engine this weekend now cos I'm getting well narked off not being able to ride, the only time in my life I've actually been stressed and my form of stress relief doesn't work, sod's law eh....

So I'll be up soon, you and the breadknife got a spare room for me to crash in for the night on a weekend soon? We HAVE to go for a kebab and a shesha though (you, me, Buggy, Riz[if you don't mind], Brother Shahid and Cash and possibly El Saxo[sorry Saxo, no beer involved]), Wimmy Road style. I miss the north.

Gimme a bell son

Look right-> <-Look Left
_Stretchie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-06, 11:17 PM   #10
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

Oh and welcome to the site, you big tart

Stretchie

P.S. Who loves you baby?

Look right-> <-Look Left
_Stretchie_ is offline   Reply With Quote