SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 16-07-08, 07:40 AM   #1
600+

Default Computer help

My site moved servers yesterday - bigger & better lets say

Now I've changed the DNS IPs and that has been picked up by the domain register etc etc.

BUT when I try and access the backend DB to check for new orders/users/updated my products etc it's taking me to the old one Which means for example that I cannot see the latest orders that have just been placed!!

I've deleted my cookies from Firefox - cleared the private data etc and it's still the same Did CTRL+F5 and still nothing.....

Any ideas?

Thnx
Old 16-07-08, 08:00 AM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: Computer help

have you flushed the local DNS cache on your desktop PC ? It might be that.

get into a DOS prompt and type

ipconfig /flushdns

Sometimes it takes a little time for the DNS changes to work its way around a network...

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-08, 08:11 AM   #3
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600+ View Post
My site moved servers yesterday - bigger & better lets say

Now I've changed the DNS IPs and that has been picked up by the domain register etc etc.
Has the DNS propogated? What's the DNS name (don't bother with the full URL, just the DNS name is sufficient)?

I assume you're still running the old system on the old static IP, and the new one is on a new IP, you're just editing the DNS spec?
Old 16-07-08, 08:17 AM   #4
600+

well I updated the DNS IPs on 123-reg yesterday. email works fine

ping my url without the www and that should be the DNS

yes I guess the kn0b host has kept the old system still online on the old server and yes the new servers have new IPs
Old 16-07-08, 08:18 AM   #5
Al_Sweetman

Is it server access from Client PC, or from Server? If server, are you sure that there's no hard-wired IP addr present in some configuration file somewhere? If it's driven by machine name, are there static routes setup in the hosting file etc? What are the server routes configured to be?...

What type of DB is it? Oracle/AS-400 DB2/M$ SQL/Postgres etc??
Old 16-07-08, 08:22 AM   #6
600+

Al - I'm accessing from my home PC as usual

DB is probably MS SQL but not sure as I don't see that side of things

I'm the end user working from a nice GUI
Old 16-07-08, 08:35 AM   #7
Baph

OK, DNS appears to check out, but I don't know if it's the old or the new system.

I can see on that domain name you're running web & mail services, although naughtily your mail server doesn't respond with the same host name (pogdesign?).

Your web server IP ends with 94.84, and the mail server is on a completely seperate IP segment, but ends with 122.150. Do these IPs sound right with what you have configured?

What's the DNS name of the DB and I'll help verify what the IP of that is if you like (PM details if you feel safer).
Old 16-07-08, 08:40 AM   #8
600+

yes the IPs are correct! all apart from the mail should be on the 94.84 address
Old 16-07-08, 08:49 AM   #9
Baph

Got your PM mate, but figured it'd be easier to keep things public (knowledge pooling etc).

OK, so the DB is accessed by web interface on the same DNS name. I've seen that pogdesign (the mail server) also looks after the DB, and all of this is actually stored within your webserver, and isn't redirected elsewhere (at least, as far as I can visibly see).

Without knowing the configuration at pogdesign it's a little hard to get indepth.

One thing that's just occured to me, is that you are logging into the DB from the website, not directly from your PC. Assuming that you're using MySQL, each DB (well, table technically) has access rights for user@location. If your location has changed because of the change of DNS, this may be the reason you're not accessing the DB you think you should be.

Chase it up with pogdesign & see what they say. The only other alternative would be to login, change your password, then PM me the details, and change your password back after I'd looked at the config in there. Understandly though, most folks don't trust random strangers on the t'inter-web.
Old 16-07-08, 08:54 AM   #10
timwilky
Mega Poster

err have you got a local host file entry. connection strings using ip rather than dns names etc