SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-08-19, 07:04 AM   #31
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Re: First world problems and bike dilemas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
I'd prefer 3! One fun sports bike, one ratty all weathers, nimble commuter and one proper tourer.

I think part of the issue is trying to find that holy grail of fun, practicaliity for commuting and ability to do longer distances in comfort.

VFR and BMW are interesting ideas I hadn't thought of but not sure...
The BMW option is a bit of a curve ball. One that caught me by surprise and have stuck with it since. One of the main reasons i like it is the low center of gravity. It means on off camber junctions, low speed maneuvering or on roads with a lot of left/right or switchbacks it is very responsive to inputs and takes very little effort. It also means the bikes handling characteristics don't change depending on how full/empty the fuel tank is.
Worth a test ride to see what you think. The engine has lots of torque throughout the rev range and has a very flat line power delivery, so there is no real power band, it only progresses more as you get further up the numbers.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-19, 11:41 AM   #32
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Default Re: First world problems and bike dilemmas

Looks like there's an article on tracer owners in this month's Ride mag. Lots of different screens used. Might be worth a look.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-19, 01:01 PM   #33
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Cheers John. I'll have a look for it.

In other news... I test rode a Street Triple this morning. It was.. interesting. Going to let my thoughts sink in and then I'll report back.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-19, 07:28 PM   #34
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsv650s View Post
Just go get a vfr and stop moaning
Can't believe it took until page three for someone to state the obvious.....

All joking aside I've got a 2002 VFR tucked away in the garage that I pretty much only use for long distance touring as you really don't need that kind of performance on UK roads. I can easily do 400 miles plus of progressive non motorway miles and still feel ready to turn round and do it again, where the majority on my mates on their collection of newer/more powerful/more sophisticated/more expensive/more orange etc etc bikes are all desperately looking for a hotel.

In my humble opinion it's one of the most competent all rounders out there.....but then it doesn't get nearly as much abuse as my SV does!
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-19, 11:24 PM   #35
ethariel

Went through about 8 screens between the tiger 800 and the tiger1050 and ended up with an MRA and an additional flip on the top to finally get the blast over the top of my helmet - suppose it's ok if you are 5'6 but not for 6'4.

+1 for the VFR or maybe a Blackbird if you can pry one out of someones fingers
ethariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-19, 01:16 PM   #36
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Ditto the comments on the vfr. I wanted something comfy but still sporty after 2 sv650's. It fits the bill fine and I can ride it for hours whereas the SV used to kill my **** after an hour or so. The downside is that it's heavy and not so agile as the SV.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-19, 09:49 PM   #37
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Not sure I can handle the extra weight on the VFR. It's the same weight as the Tracer and BMW dry as they are wet.
On paper I thought I wouldn't like the 214kg of the Tracer, but it actually feels very light. Noticeably heavier moving it about to get in the garage etc than my SV was, but once moving it handles like a much lighter bike. The BMW suggestion has me intrigued though. My IAM instructor rides one and loves it. The belt drive looks good. Weight is same as the Tracer and if it rides with the weight low down (fuel under the seat etc) then it could be a good option.

I know it was a joke when mentioned but I do realise I won't get everything right in one bike. I'd love to have something small fun and light to commute and enjoy locally and then something more sophisticated to do distances on. I think I need to just get something cheap and cheerful to keep me commuting and mobile locally at the beginning of September.

A street Triple would be a great fun bike for a few hours out and decent for commuting too. I test rode one yesterday and loved it, but felt like I did last time I sat on one that I kept sliding forwards into the tank and felt cramped unless I pushed myself back up the seat, which caused me to tense my arms to hold myself back (even with knees gripping the tank). Someone mentioned an option of sorting out that seat problem a while ago on here and I wish I could remember what it was. Apart from that the position was good. The bars could be very slightly wider (every time I moved my hand and then put it back I kept nearly missing the end of the grip, but that may be because I've got used to the very wide Tracer bars). Difficult to judge from a half hour test ride as I think the suspension was set way off for me (hyperpro spring on the rear which I think was uprated for a heavy rider). The blue lights that keep flashing when you up the revs were a bit annoying too. As a simpler honest, smaller bike I could see it being fun though. Not sure how it would be on longer journeys.

I'd definitely have one if I could sort out the seat problem and get a tourer to live alongside it though.

I'll do some more research on the BMW.
Old 09-08-19, 09:53 PM   #38
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Looks like there's an article on tracer owners in this month's Ride mag. Lots of different screens used. Might be worth a look.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately this was an article that came from a call out on the Tracer Facebook page, so is mostly people who have already had the same screen discussions many times over online. It looks like the conclusions are the same... either go full on barn door screen or the best results seem to be from removing the screen altogether and riding it as a naked bike. I've tried that though and still get turbulence and unclean airflow off all the angles of the lights and gaps between all the front end bits.

If they'd concentrated less on the making it look angular and aggressive and thought about creating smooth air flow from the front end instead I think they'd have solved a lot of problems that people have. Maybe make it so that you can adjust or swap out the bars without fouling all the pointy out bits on the front too and I'd be very happy with it all.

Last edited by Adam Ef; 09-08-19 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-08-19, 10:10 PM   #39
zsv650s

I have only had a quick go on a vfr but it did not feel heavy but I was coming off the big boy rf900r so I may have been used too it.
zsv650s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-19, 10:59 PM   #40
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Found it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650 View Post
The street triple ergonomics are immediately sorted with a sargent seat. I speak from experience. Wider and flatter pan = not crushing your balls on the tank.

The over-the-bars position is where you want to be on a sharp bike. Upright and beg is comfy, but hardly makes for an involved, fun ride.

http://forums.sv650.org/showpost.php...5&postcount=13