SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-02-20, 08:45 PM   #1
daktulos

Default New bike tyres?

Has anyone ever bought a new bike from a dealer and had the tyres switched out for something more sensible? (Ideally with a discount, but that's just wishful thinking!)

Ta.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-20, 09:23 AM   #2
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: New bike tyres?

I might as well have done with the crappy Dunlop Qualifiers on the AL7 I bought earlier this year: the rear tyre was shot by 5,000 miles. You'd think it would give decent grip as the flipside of wearing out so fast, but it didn't ...

What bike are you looking at and what tyres are on it?
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-20, 09:51 AM   #3
daktulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
What bike are you looking at and what tyres are on it?
I'm thinking about a Street Triple. If I was sensible, I'd get the R grade or a 2019 model, but sensible doesn't always win. The R no longer has a TFT dash, which leaves the RS ...

The tyres on the RS are Pirelli Diablo Supercorsas, which I'm sure are lovely on the track, but probably aren't the best choice for commuting all year round.
Old 21-02-20, 01:10 PM   #4
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I was going to mention the RS and those tyres as an example of bad spec tyres for most people's use. I'd say just get others fitted from new and try and sell them but shipping big heavy tyres is the problem.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-20, 05:29 PM   #5
Red Herring
Mega Poster

I've done an awful lot of competitive miles on my SV with Dunlop Qualifiers, not sure why Craig thinks they are so bad, perhaps his expectations were different to mine.....

To answer the OP it very much depends on the dealer. I've picked up several pairs of tyres that have been swopped out on a brand new bike at the customers request.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-20, 06:23 PM   #6
daktulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
To answer the OP it very much depends on the dealer. I've picked up several pairs of tyres that have been swopped out on a brand new bike at the customers request.
Cheers - it's worth asking, then (if I ever make a decision!)
Old 23-02-20, 11:39 AM   #7
embee
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by daktulos View Post
Has anyone ever bought a new bike from a dealer and had the tyres switched out for something more sensible? (Ideally with a discount, but that's just wishful thinking!)

Ta.
Not done it personally but I know quite a few folk who have done this, entirely up to the dealer as to whether they want to do it for you.
Old 26-02-20, 05:58 PM   #8
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by daktulos View Post
I'm thinking about a Street Triple. If I was sensible, I'd get the R grade or a 2019 model, but sensible doesn't always win. The R no longer has a TFT dash, which leaves the RS ...

The tyres on the RS are Pirelli Diablo Supercorsas, which I'm sure are lovely on the track, but probably aren't the best choice for commuting all year round.

Have you ridden one? I test rode a 2020 765rs today and think it's totally over the top for the road. Suspension is slightly less harsh than my older 675r was, but still on the very firm side, even with compression totally backed off. It handles amazingly, but is kind of revvy and the brakes might even be too good unless you're doing crazy high speeds trying to scrub speed off into corners... eg track use.

The TFT is much less relevant once you're moving too. Looking at it in pictures and in the showroom it's nice, but as soon as you're on the road concentrating on the ride it just becomes something that shows numbers which the old dash did just as well. It is customiseable but I imagine it would be one of those things that you choose your favourite layout and never touch again. Not as much of a deal maker / breaker as I thought it would be. I kind of like the old clocks too.

It handles a bit better than my 675r did, but only slightly better and I think if you put me on one blind (not a good idea I know!) I think it would be harder to tell the difference than I was expecting.

Still a great bike. A bit nutty, good fun and bloody freezing riding it today in 4 degrees freezing wind. The sun was out and the roads were dry though which meant I could pratt about testing the twitchiness / nimbleness and handling a bit.

I think if I had one I'd have the 765r, not the rs. I'd be happier with a 2017 / 2018 model to the new one too, if only because they can be had for about £3k less.

Last edited by Adam Ef; 26-02-20 at 06:02 PM.
Old 26-02-20, 06:00 PM   #9
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Also had the road biased Pirellis on my 675r and wasn't that impressed with them. The bike was much better on road once I'd fitted some Roadtec 01s. I think I'd want to change the tyres out even on the 765r model.
Old 26-02-20, 06:47 PM   #10
daktulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Have you ridden one? I test rode a 2020 765rs today and think it's totally over the top for the road. Suspension is slightly less harsh than my older 675r was, but still on the very firm side, even with compression totally backed off. It handles amazingly, but is kind of revvy and the brakes might even be too good unless you're doing crazy high speeds trying to scrub speed off into corners... eg track use.
Not yet - I'm leaving it until March and will test both the R and RS.

The TFT enables a few things, like bluetooth integration and better heated grips, but I'm aware that it's definitely not essential and adds to the cost. I am a techie at heart, though ... which is winning over the head at the moment.

One thing which has pushed me back to the R is the "My Triumph" app which is used for navigation. I tried it out this morning and it would have taken me about an hour out of the way! Software can be improved, but it's no Waze ...

As for the 2018 model, if only it had LED headlights!