SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-09-18, 08:21 AM   #31
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Default Re: Topyokes conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
you'll be fine using the +60 venhills with the low bars.

mind and pop up a finished shot when your done.

BTW to attach the brake rez and bracket you can use a 22mm P clip on the bars.

Will get pics and cable / bar specs up in one post when done for future reference.

I've got p-clips at my workshop, but going to try a (bicycle) handlebar bottle cage mount that I have and a mending plate shaped for the reservoir.

I've also worked out that the cables Matt has supplied are for the naked SV. A bit frustrating as I worked out that they were different a while ago and when the Topyokes page suddenly changed to offer the throttle cables as part of the package I assumed they'd know that too. Apparently not though. Never assume anything! Matt is being good about the return though and very quick with email communication, even at the weekend which is impressive. I've try and pass on the info about the difference in S and N throttle cables to him diplomaticaly for his future reference so he doesn't send them to anyone else.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-18, 04:42 PM   #32
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Conversion is all done. I'll get some pics and specs up soon. I've got pics of the Venhill +60mm cables compared to the originals and the hoses Matt supplied compared to originals with measurements.

First impressions. It's very different! Steering is very light. I've ony been out twice, but very apparent I'm going to have to adjust as I keep oversteering! Position is comfortable. Feels a bit less involved with the bike but in a relaxed sort of way.

I am wondering if I could be slightly lower. I thought I was getting the ultra low Renthals from Matt but seems I have the low... with are about 4cm more rise.

Having a few issues with the throttle feeling twitchy and trying to work out it's an adjustment issue, new cables being free-er moving than the old ones or my position being more upright meaning I'm bounced around more by the road due to the bad rear shock. The old lower position did seem to isolate my upper body from the bumps more as my waist and lower back were bent more and flexed with the bumps. The new upright position just sends all bumps straight up through me and is possibly jogging my arms more, causing me to jog the throttle more.

I need to swap out the rubbish grips I have on there temporarily (as old were destroyed removing them). I know I am gripping the throttle too hard as the grips are really slippery.

Last edited by Adam Ef; 09-10-18 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-10-18, 11:01 PM   #33
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Yep, I've definitley been supplied the 754-01 Renthals, not the 758-01 that was specified on the site. Damn. All drilled for controls now and fitted. 35mm more height and 25mm more sweep... might explain why it feels slightly high.
Old 10-10-18, 12:12 PM   #34
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Yep, I've definitley been supplied the 754-01 Renthals, not the 758-01 that was specified on the site. Damn. All drilled for controls now and fitted. 35mm more height and 25mm more sweep... might explain why it feels slightly high.
thats what you want. it will take a bit of getting used to but once you do its much better.

counter steering will feel weird and very sensitive to begin with but it also makes for a much more relaxed ride as your not using much effort so less fatigue on a ride.

as for sitting up more then yes it does place more strain on your bum which shows up just how shizz the SV seat really is. if your young and fit it should cause no problems, if your tall then an air pad works wonders.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-18, 08:03 PM   #35
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I'm finding myself naturally leaning forward still and my arms end up at a very closed angle, forearms angling up instead of flat. Very odd.

Started to feel more at home with the light touch of the bars / steering today.

Visited a shop that had the low and medium Renthals in stock today, so compared the two and there's not a huge difference between them, mainly slightly more sweep in the mediums and slightly less overall length. They didn't have the ultra lows in stock that I wanted to compare though to see what I should have received. As far as I can make out the specs show more of a jump from the ultra low to low than the low to medium.

Also sorted the twitchiness a bit by taking out more of the throttle freeplay. I know there's meant to be a bit in there, but it feels better with as little as possible. All fine with bars at full lock. It does feel like the throttle is closing of more abruptly than before the conversion, which leads to quite jerky engine braking moments. Adjusting my usual throttle and clutch repsonse will no doubt help over time, but can't help feeling that the push throttle cable is maybe too tight? There's no adjustment left up top though so guessing it's a case of getting under the air box again to give it a bit more slack at the throttle bodies, which I'd rather avoid.

Last edited by Adam Ef; 10-10-18 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-10-18, 08:44 PM   #36
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
t
as for sitting up more then yes it does place more strain on your bum which shows up just how shizz the SV seat really is.

This is one thing that has become quickly apparent!

That and visibility in the mirrors isn't quite as good due to the angle I'm now viewing from. Plus arms being wider apart on the longer bars, obscuring the view too. I already have mirror extenders fitted.
Old 10-10-18, 11:54 PM   #37
Bibio
Mega Poster

your forearms should be as parallel with the road surface as possible with your elbows bent, doing this will take the strain off your wrists and help with control. your forearms should go up and down pivoting at the elbow. you should be able to do the "funky chicken" with your arms.

NEVER EVER ride with straight arms and locked elbows.
Old 10-10-18, 11:58 PM   #38
Bibio
Mega Poster

check your TPS setting. this removes a fair bit of "jerkyness". there are a few threads on here.
Old 16-10-18, 05:00 PM   #39
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Some pics...
First, with the wrong bars fitted (that I was sent by Matt --- I ordered the Ultra Low and was sent the low, which are very near the dimensions of the mediums)...

After spending the best part of £300 I couldn't live with having the wrong bars fitted. I felt slightly too upright. I couldn't return the bars to Matt as I'd drilled them. So I just bit the bullet and just ordered some Ultra Lows. Here's with the Ultra Low Renthals fitted. Doesn't look that different in the photo, but sitting on the bike feels a lot more natural already than the slightly higher bars did.

Last edited by Adam Ef; 16-10-18 at 08:11 PM.
Old 16-10-18, 05:33 PM   #40
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Couple of pics to compare the Renthal "low" (754-01) and "ultra low" (758-01) bars as I couldn't find any visual comparison online...