SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 16-08-09, 04:51 PM   #1
the white rabbit

Default AA battery life, Duracells or lithium?

For reasons of convenience and not always being able to charge I still use disposable AAs in camera, GPS etc.

I just got a load of Duracell Plus AAs on offer for buy 4 get 8 so quite reasonable.

The bloke in shop was advising me Lithiums (Eveready??) last MUCH longer.

Does anyone have any idea how much longer they do last in cameras (given average flash use and zooming and picture viewing)?

If it works out roughly evens on price (cost vs extra life) it would at least mean less batteries to carry.
Old 16-08-09, 05:23 PM   #2
Seggons

Default Re: AA battery life, Duracells or lithium?

With my digital camera I started off on normal AA batteries only to find after 200 pictures they were done for. Then I moved to rechargeables but while they offered more power they are only 1.2V each (normal AA's are 1.5v). So they lasted about as long as AA's just with the added bonus that it was cheaper. I moved to lithium AA's and while the cost is a little bit more it's worth it for how long they last.

I went on the GMII trip and stayed for 4 days taking something like 500 pictures on a camera where you cannot turn the flash off. They still to this day have plenty of charge to take many more. After my camera runs them out I just put them in my PC mouse which runs for months more.

So all in all I personally rate Lithium's very highly.
Old 16-08-09, 05:46 PM   #3
Razor

I got loads of energiser lithiums on a special deal at ASDA, my Garmin Satnav I sometimes run on AA cells. Alkalines 2-3 hours, lithium 7 hours before they went flat.
In my LED mini maglite they last about 2 months with almost everyday use at work.

Last edited by Razor; 16-08-09 at 05:47 PM.
Old 18-08-09, 08:26 AM   #4
Geoffrey

go with the energiser lithiums
Old 18-08-09, 10:59 AM   #5
Miss Alpinestarhero

litium ones are much better. At first I avoided them because they are so much more expensive but I got fed-up of normal AA batteries not lasting long enough in my camera. It got to the point where AA batteries would only last a minimum of a week

So I gave in and bought some lithium ones for my trip to Finland. They were well worth the buy - lasted the whole trip plus an extra month at home. I wouldnt go back to normal AA ones

Maria
Old 18-08-09, 11:55 AM   #6
the white rabbit

V useful, thanks.
Old 18-08-09, 04:19 PM   #7
Jabba

A word of caution.....

My digicam's user-manual advises against the use of Lithium batteries because of the extra heat they generate.

However, since my camera's now out of warranty I'm thinking "Bollox to that, I'm gonna try 'em"

Hope this helps
Old 18-08-09, 04:49 PM   #8
Razor

Jabba, you read the user manuals? Sure you're a bloke?
Old 18-08-09, 08:13 PM   #9
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Jabba, you read the user manuals? Sure you're a bloke?
It kinda just fell open on that page..........
Old 18-08-09, 11:43 PM   #10
Rog

you can also strip the lithium from the battery and do some cool things with it, although I would not recommend it obviously

oops a link