SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-02-08, 11:02 PM   #1
northwind
Mega Poster

Default Wolf leathers?

Just wondering who has experience of wolf riding gear? I was eyeballing some of their stuff at the excel show, and I'm sure there'll be loads at the Edinburgh one too. Most of the range seems solidly put together, but on the other hand, I've never been enthused by gear that uses no-name armour, and especially not by gear without changable armour in pockets. I take my armour seriously what with the osteoperosis and the gimped leg, if I break my hip again or mess up my knee any more it'll be pretty much game over for riding proper bikes... So that was a wee bit offputting, but other than that they had some gear which I really liked, and if it's otherwise fine I can always cut them open and sew in T-Pro stuff or similiar...

But the proof of the pudding is in the crashing
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-08, 11:11 PM   #2
scottjames

Default Re: Wolf leathers?

ive got a set of wolf kangaroo. its great, light, comfotable warm with its little fleece in an cool with out it. ive a few friends with both the one a two piece they all like it to. Duno about their others but mine has got schoeller armor and ive seen that around a bit. it didnt come with a back protector but i prefer to source one suited to me any way. mines solid and ive no complaints.

hth

scott
Old 27-02-08, 11:49 PM   #3
Lozzo

I thought all Wolf kit came with decent removeable armour
Old 27-02-08, 11:59 PM   #4
lukemillar
Mega Poster

I had a a wolf one piece and a pair of wolf trousers. Oddly, I can't remember in the 1 pc whether the armour was removable? I think it was. The knee armour was definitely removable in the trousers.

Anyway, I never had an off in either piece of kit so can't really comment on how well it would hold up, but the quality was fairly decent for the price.

A lot of the gear is made in the UK as well - I think it is the trousers/jackets rather than the 1 piece leathers, but it is quite handy for getting alterations (apart from living in Scotland as they are in Southend!)
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-08, 12:23 AM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzo View Post
I thought all Wolf kit came with decent removeable armour
A few of the ones I checked out had the armour sewn in in the hips, and I think the knees also... It was marked as CE, so probably fine, but paranoia sets in...

You know your gear, do you have a general opinion on Wolf? They do a fair range of price points so obviously what applies to one might not apply to another but it's a good start.

I think this is all partly because at the Edinburgh show last year one of the stallholders had a really, really nice Wolf jacket, which I was going to buy, take the armour out of and just wear as a jacket- but I decided not to, and regretted it ever since so now whenever I see their stuff I'm irresistably drawn to it.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-08, 12:38 AM   #6
rictus01
Mega Poster

I've a two peice suit of their's not that new now (about 6 years old) it has fully removeable armour, as I like my knox stuff it was all changed for that (although I do believe the original was all CE stuff as well), not bad built quality, but never had an off with it so can only go by what I see, annoyingly it's got that stretch panel which insures the family jewels get soaked in any rain, but that seems to be the thing in "Race" suits these days.

Here the one I'm talking about

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-08, 01:50 AM   #7
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post

You know your gear, do you have a general opinion on Wolf? They do a fair range of price points so obviously what applies to one might not apply to another but it's a good start.
It's very rare to find any armour on any suit or separates sewn in now, it's usually get-atable through hidden openings, like knee and hip armour can be got to via velcroed or zipped openings at the bottom of the legs etc. I though the armour in my one-piece suit was sewn in, but found a way of getting it out - it was tricky but I managed to swop it for Davis-Odell Astrosorb.

Wolf make very good kit at all of their price points. Most of it is made in their own factories in Hong Kong, not by outside factories. That way they keep a close check on quality, which is remarkably high for far eastern made stuff. Wolf are part of the Madiff Industries group, who also have the Berik and Arlen Ness names in their portfolio. However, Harpers in Southend offer a made to measure service with the Wolf name. Harpers used to be the manufacturers of all Wolf leathers, but sold the mass production side to Madiff a few years ago.

I'd buy it and I'm dead fussy about bike gear*.

*My Nitro one-piece isn't actually a Nitro as such any more, it's been re-made - the leather they used is good stuff, but the stitching wasn't to my liking. I worked for Nitro when I got it and the boss insisted we wore what we sold, so I ordered a suit 2 sizes too big and had it completely unstitched and remade to fit me by a reputable UK firm.
Old 28-02-08, 09:46 AM   #8
Fizzy Fish

I know several people who have had 2-piece Wolf leathers from Harpers Race Shop in Southend, and they've been really pleased with them. Harpers tailor the suit to fit, which makes a real difference, and it comes in at c. £550. IIRC the guy who does them also makes leathers for some of the BSB racers, so he should know what he's doing!

Bit far for you northy, but if you're down this way at any point...?

Last edited by Fizzy Fish; 28-02-08 at 09:49 AM.
Old 28-02-08, 12:33 PM   #9
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
if I break my hip again or mess up my knee any more it'll be pretty much game over for riding proper bikes...
add an ankle and a pelvis and you'll be up/down there with me!

I use Wolf, very comfy and I have had an off in them (once so far) and they stood up well (me too afterwards). The quality is great and the armour is great. I always wear an aftermarket back protector under my leathers. You stand out a bit more in a crowd too, I haven't seen many other Wolf leathers around on my travels.
Old 28-02-08, 04:22 PM   #10
sv-robo

ive got a wolf paddock jacket which ive had for around 10years now(sometimes use it for ridouts in hot weather)and have to say its been a great jacket so i would assume their leathers would be top quality as well.HTH