SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-03-14, 11:59 AM   #1
dkid

Default Car hit my bike over - whilst parked in a M/C only bay!

So I come out from a hospital appointment to find the police gathered around the area where I had parked my bike this morning...

Some tool of a cage driver has decided to try and get his car into a space which wasn't there and has encroached into the motorcycle only parking bay. Bike went down on the left side, hitting a scooter parked next to it.

An independent witness saw the whole thing and stopped a passing police car. Apparently the car driver has hit my bike, got out and picked it up, then left his car where it was (half in the M/C bay) and walked off! No note, Nothing.

Luckily I've got the witness' details and the police got me the car drivers details so a claim through my insurance should be relatively straight forward I hope...

Damage is smashed front db screen, Snapped left mirror, hole in fuel tank cover (possible damage to tank underneath), scuffed rear fairing, scuffed seat cowl. Soooooo annoying!!!

Anyway, rant over. Here's some pics of the damage. I'm gutted because I was just about happy with how I had the bike.

Looks like the side stand of the scoot did the damage to the fuel tank...

Old 10-03-14, 12:00 PM   #2
dkid

Default Re: Car hit my bike over - whilst parked in a M/C only bay!

Oh, it gets better too! The police said they couldn't even issue a parking ticket to this c0ck jockey! WTF?
Old 10-03-14, 02:06 PM   #3
SUPERSTARDJ01

Hopefully it wont be a right off.
Old 10-03-14, 03:07 PM   #4
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

What a PITA!

Hope you get it all sorted.

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-14, 03:19 PM   #5
dkid

Cheers guys. Wheels are in motion with the insurance company. They're giving me a cbr600S as a courtesy bike and are collecting my bike to go to the approved honda dealer. Can't fault Bennetts so far but it's obviously very early days. If anyone has any advice as to how to handle the insurance situation I'd be most grateful.
Old 10-03-14, 04:31 PM   #6
SUPERSTARDJ01

Just be honest and concise, pics etc help, which you have and the statement, not too much to do in this case, hopefully they wont push for 50/50.
Old 10-03-14, 04:40 PM   #7
ChrisCurvyS

Hope you get it sorted without too much hassle. WFT was he thinking? Pick the damaged bike up as though nothing happened but then leave his car there?

So what was the reason for the police not being able to issue a ticket for his parking?
ChrisCurvyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-14, 04:45 PM   #8
dkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCurvyS View Post
Hope you get it sorted without too much hassle. WFT was he thinking? Pick the damaged bike up as though nothing happened but then leave his car there?

So what was the reason for the police not being able to issue a ticket for his parking?
Yeah it sure us a weird one. Most would do the decent thing and stick around/leave a note. A minority would clear off altogether but what he did was rather odd.

Police didn't explain why they couldn't give him a parking ticket but the impression I got was that they just didn't have the power to issue one. They said a passing traffic warden could issue one but Sod's law, they're only around when you don't want one.
Old 10-03-14, 05:06 PM   #9
Fallout
Mega Poster

In case it makes you feel any better, there is a chance since you're near a hospital that said pleb was going to visit someone very ill in hospital and had bigger fish to fry. I know if a loved one was dying I wouldn't give a ****. Also perhaps they didn't have a pen and paper (I don't in my car), so there's no way I could possibly leave a note. I also would've picked the bike up rather than leaving it lying there, and perhaps they stayed in the bay partly because they didn't to get to hospital and partly so they weren't doing a runner so you could get their details.

All speculation, and it doesn't make up for you getting shafted (sorry dude!), but perhaps there is a reasonable explanation and they're not just an utter **** .... though clearly there are a ****e driver!
Fallout Breakbeat (My Music)
Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-14, 05:10 PM   #10
dkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout View Post
In case it makes you feel any better, there is a chance since you're near a hospital that said pleb was going to visit someone very ill in hospital and had bigger fish to fry. I know if a loved one was dying I wouldn't give a ****. Also perhaps they didn't have a pen and paper (I don't in my car), so there's no way I could possibly leave a note. I also would've picked the bike up rather than leaving it lying there, and perhaps they stayed in the bay partly because they didn't to get to hospital and partly so they weren't doing a runner so you could get their details.

All speculation, and it doesn't make up for you getting shafted (sorry dude!), but perhaps there is a reasonable explanation and they're not just an utter **** .... though clearly there are a ****e driver!

Yeah fair comment. In fact a similar scenario had crossed my mind but to be honest I doubt it cause it was outside the city eye hospital. I don't know of to many life threatening eye conditions.

Having said that, maybe he was attending the eye hospital himself? Would explain a lot...