SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-10-18, 03:29 PM   #1
Fazy

Default Back on a bike after 16 years.

Hi I have just brought a SV650s K3, 04 plate with 9600 miles on the clock. Cosmetically in beautiful condition apart from a scratch on the right panel under the pillion seat. Which will be sorted in the spring. Tyres have loads of life etc. And had a full service for its last MOT. What I would like to know is there anything that we'll need replacing or close to due to miles/ age. Which i should have checked. Ie how long do breaks clutch and so on last? Sorry if these questions seem simple questions but after so long of a bike I have forgotten.

As for the bike i have to admit I love it.
Old 20-10-18, 05:04 PM   #2
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: Back on a bike after 16 years.

If the clutch works fine and isn't slipping, don't worry about it. It might be worth having a check of the brake pads to make sure they are intact, as they may well be the original ones, and they will be 15 years old if they are.

I would change the brake fluid over winter as well, unless you know it was definitely done at the last service. People rarely change it.

Keep an eye on the oil level too - some SVs can use a bit of oil. Note that you check the oil via the sight glass while holding the bike upright and at its 'balance point,' and ideally when the engine is hot, a couple of minutes after switching off. It takes about 250ml of oil to go from halfway between the L and F marks, up to the F mark.

After that, you can check the air filter and spark plugs etc whenever you feel like it. Enjoy it
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-18, 07:32 PM   #3
Fazy

Thank you Craig very much appreciated. Will follow your advice. And check what you have suggested. I did remember to check the oil when warm so I guess I remembered some bits
Old 20-10-18, 08:04 PM   #4
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Was the coolant changed at the last service?
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-18, 08:22 PM   #5
Fazy

I have no idea. Probably best to say no. I'll have to pick up a service manual and watch YouTube to see how to do that.
Old 20-10-18, 08:42 PM   #6
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Coolant, like oil, can need changing due to time it's been in the bike rather than just mileage, so worth doing it if you're not sure. I'd recommend getting the ready mixed OAT coolant from Halfords to take the faff out of mixing it yourself. I flushed the rad with a can of Wynn's Engine Flush too when I did mine as I had no idea of the history of it. That and purified water (our tap water is very hard and would cause limescale.. although the coolant is designed to combat it). Tesco value bottled water is fine and about 9p a litre.

Last edited by Adam Ef; 20-10-18 at 08:44 PM.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-18, 08:54 PM   #7
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

If it had a full service for its last MOT I wouldnt worry too much,just get out and ride it. You will soon get the knack of biking back and any issues with brakes or tyres will be easily spotted. Enjoy.
Old 21-10-18, 11:45 AM   #8
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
If it had a full service for its last MOT I wouldnt worry too much,just get out and ride it. You will soon get the knack of biking back and any issues with brakes or tyres will be easily spotted. Enjoy.
this... mind and check your tyre pressures BEFORE you go out for the fist time on it. 33psi front, 36psi rear.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-18, 12:20 PM   #9
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Check the age of the tyres.Even if they have good tread they might be past their useful life,

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-articl...of-manufacture
Old 21-10-18, 12:46 PM   #10
Fazy

Thanks guys, gave the bike a wash which is always a way to check out everything. Tyres pressure bang on the mark. Oils and break fluids are also mid lines forkseals good and clean. Discs are in good condition no groves etc. Only thing found was the gear paddle breaket was very lose�� have done up the Alan bolts tight but will keep a eye on it. Ordered a mentiace manual last night.
Thanks again for all your help. Of out for a ride after lunch nothing to serious just get use to her and rebuild my skills. She's quicker than my last bike a ZZR 250!��