SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-06-14, 03:04 PM   #1
Soapysoap

Default Is this too much chain lube fling?

I'm pretty new to this motorcyclist thing and I'm having issues with my chain lube.
I'm cleaning the warm chain with paraffin, drying off and then applying gear oil sparingly to the inside of the chain before wiping off any excess.
Unfortunately for the next 50 mile or so I end up with a wheel that looks like this (even though I'm wiping and cleanng the tyre every 20 mile or so).

It obviously makes left handers a bit twitchy but is this just the norm or should I switch to a dry lube (as I've seen some people in other posts reccomended)

Any help appreciated

Soapy
Soapysoap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-14, 03:31 PM   #2
cb1000rsteve

Default Re: Is This Too Much Lube Fling

Stop using gear oil immediately! IMO that isn't safe and could end in disaster for yourself. Get done proper chain lube. I use and recommend PJ1 blue label as it goes on thin then thickens. Brilliant for making chains last longer.
Old 08-06-14, 03:33 PM   #3
garynortheast
Mega Poster

You'll end up on your ear! If you are going to manually apply a chain lube at least use one of the (allegedly) anti fling compounds.

Better still fit a V system Scottoiler. Constantly clean and lubed chain, hugely increased chain and sprocket life, and if the Scottoiler is properly adjusted you will have no oil on the rear rim or tyre.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-14, 04:07 PM   #4
Pricey12

Suzuki recommend you use engine oil., just don't put so much on. You will get a million different opinions on chain lube. I sometimes use Worth Dry lube. I used to use it exclusively, but found that it offers very little in the way of corrosion protection in the winter months. Now I use fresh engine oil, and occasionally the Wurth dry. When I use engine oil I usually have to wipe the fling off the side of the tyre after a short ride, but if you have to wipe more than once then you are using too much.

Last edited by Pricey12; 08-06-14 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-06-14, 04:20 PM   #5
jonny.boyd

Scot oiler all the way!!

For the price, ease of use, extended chain life, not to mention barely having to adjust the chain there is simply no better way around it!

Used to spend ages cleaning the muck off then carefully putting on chain lube, yet I still had carp all over the inside of my wheel after a ride (not to mention a chain that always went rusty!). Scot oiler is very efficient and hardly makes a mess!
jonny.boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-14, 04:25 PM   #6
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

Couldn't agree more, get the tour tank and it's over 4000 miles between fill ups.
Old 08-06-14, 05:19 PM   #7
Red ones
Mega Poster

Default Is This Too Much Lube Fling

Scotoiler do not recommend the extended range tank for the SV. Something to do with the flimsy snowplough on the back not being strong enough.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-14, 05:23 PM   #8
drewthejew94

i use mine everyday for work a 30 mile round trip i clean it every weekend and apply wd40 dry chain wax and i get nothing on my tires or wheels keeps it protected from what i can see.
Old 08-06-14, 07:10 PM   #9
Soapysoap

Default Re: Is this too much chain lube fling?

Thanks for the advice, I'll pick up some some "anti fling" stuff this week and see how it goes.

Thanks again

Soapy
Soapysoap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-14, 08:11 PM   #10
Phil 1

Default Re: Is this too much chain lube fling?

The Wurth stuff is great as it's nice and thin and light when going on and then dries off. I've tried others which seem just too thick to start with and don't seem to penetrate or run enough. You'll end up on your **** before long with tyres like that. Maybe not in the dry but a damp patch will have off like a patch of diesel.