SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 21-04-08, 01:38 PM   #51
Dave The Rave

Default Re: Michelin Pilot Road 2

Pilot sports and I love them. Grip, stability and feel is great. I just wish they lasted longer
Old 01-06-08, 06:05 PM   #52
Duke

I fitted a pair of Pilot Road 2's last year and have just replaced the rear at ?109 fitted.
I got 12000 miles in 13 months on the daily commute to work, it was just down to the wear marks in the center, but had picked up 4 nails and so it was time to replace it. I need something to last and I have been happy with the grip. But then again I don't tend to go balls out on cold tires on the commute to work, I wait for it all to warm up first!

For sport riding on the Ducati, I use Perilli Diablo Corsa's.

Duke
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-08, 04:41 PM   #53
Seggons

I had a front and rear fitted for the Scottish Glencoe Massacre after my BT-021 went more square then a square thing. I had a day before the ride out to go out and get them scrubbed in and they felt fine, even with all the oils on them I didn't have any moments but then again I was taking it easy.

The first time I got a feel for them was the quick spell off the motorway we had. The bike being all luggaged up and me not knowing how the tyres would react I took it very steady. The tyres inspired that much confidence that I pushed a little bit harder, and then a little more. The twistys come to a end and we were back on the motorway but they sure set a really good first impression on me.

The first days riding soon come round and even though I knew they were grippy, I didn't know just how grippy. The ride started and I put myself towards the back of the pack to settle in and I soon realised I was in the wrong place. So through-out the day I continued to push them harder and harder to find a limit of some sort. It soon become apparent that the limit for the tyres was exceeding my riding limits.

My confidence in the tyres at this point had grown immensely at this point and I soon found myself on the same sort of pace as the mid-field pack. Then when it come to the twisty parts of road, I soon learnt that even though I was restricted to 33BHP I overtaking unrestricted SV's and then keeping up with some of the front runners.

Granted that on the straight bits of road all the more powerful bikes would leave me for dust, but in the bends when it mattered less for top end power and more for tyres and brakes then I was soon back with them.

I also had chance to use the tyres in heavy rain while on the rideout and I was a bit worried that the tyres would be great in the dry but rubbish in the wet. I kept pushing as the road got wetter and wetter and it still felt like the road was dry, there was no slips or wobbles at all. In the wet was the only time I felt any type of limit when I went into a corner very quick on a dodgy surface. But to be honest I didn't expect them to work great because of the speed and the surface. In return they just scrambled for grip a bit but still felt in control.

The tyres in both the wet and dry felt nailed to the ground, give me huge confidence and a massive smile on my face when I pointed the front towards the bend at silly speeds and having the faith that I was going to see the other side. After 800 motorway miles and 760 miles of hard pushed riding I can conclude that I am in love with them. They still feel good and I cannot feel a flat patch from all the motorway miles we did.

As long as they do at least 4K miles then I'll be sticking with these.
Old 04-09-08, 02:05 AM   #54
stuartyboy

Cannot speak highly enough of PR2s. Got 10k out of mine on my zx6r travelling back and forward to Hexham every weekend last year. Absolutely no problems with grip. Phenomenal in the wet and I mean phenomenal. Heated up quickly. No problems with cold grip at all. Ran them all winter. Kwak was a J2

Blue - you seem sternly against Michelins. Your opinion but if it came to a blind testing would you be up for the challenge?

For me best tyres I've ever had was Corsa III's. Huge problem was tyre wear. I never got more that 1400 out a rear. Haven't ridden them on the rr yet.

Currently on 016 multi compound. No complaints. Fantastic on track. Watch this space.
Old 04-09-08, 02:20 AM   #55
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
But Z6s are not the only other tyre on the mraket ...
I have Z6s on my SV and to be perfectly honest they don't inspire me with a great deal of confidence. I usualy ride fairly hard, and they feel like they take an age to warm up compared to the PR2s I had on my Daytona. I'd even go so far as to say the Avon Azaro 3 AV45/46 STs that I had on my Bandit 600 and last ZZR1100 felt more confidence inspiring. I happily thraped my Bandit round Mallory on AV45/46s, but wouldn't want to put these Z6s round there. Come to think of it, the Pirelli Diablo Stradas I had on my first SV never did feel quite right either, possibly because they are the Z6s rebadged.

I'm now of a mind to spend decent money on stickier tyres, purely because I ride for pleasure, and if my tyres feeling wooden is taking that pleasure away then I will do something about it. I think a pair of Metzeler Rennsports will be seeing a set of SV wheels soon.
Old 04-09-08, 11:46 PM   #56
ThEGr33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seggons View Post
As long as they do at least 4K miles then I'll be sticking with these.

I got 8K out of my rear on the Falco so you should see 10K plus if you dont mind riding on a slighly flattened tyre. TBH though it wasn't that bad just before the change! It wore well on all sides.

I loce PR2's they are great, never had ANY grip issues (apart from on diesel and shinny surfaced roads... Which were just crappy road conditions not the tyre's. I never push tyres hard in the wet since I spilled my first 250 on diesel but the small amount I do and have pushed they felt fine.

Oh and Neio PR2's should be absolutely fine on the road for you. Only reason to go for the sportier tyre is if you are going to be doing a few track days. All the tyre reviews ive read say that the sports rubber is now almost pointless on the road... But if sports rubber makes you feel better, spend the extra money and enjoy.

Last edited by ThEGr33k; 04-09-08 at 11:51 PM.
Old 05-09-08, 11:04 AM   #57
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzo View Post
I have Z6s on my SV and to be perfectly honest they don't inspire me with a great deal of confidence. I usualy ride fairly hard, and they feel like they take an age to warm up compared to the PR2s I had on my Daytona. I'd even go so far as to say the Avon Azaro 3 AV45/46 STs that I had on my Bandit 600 and last ZZR1100 felt more confidence inspiring. I happily thraped my Bandit round Mallory on AV45/46s, but wouldn't want to put these Z6s round there. Come to think of it, the Pirelli Diablo Stradas I had on my first SV never did feel quite right either, possibly because they are the Z6s rebadged.

I'm now of a mind to spend decent money on stickier tyres, purely because I ride for pleasure, and if my tyres feeling wooden is taking that pleasure away then I will do something about it. I think a pair of Metzeler Rennsports will be seeing a set of SV wheels soon.
try buying x-race (or new) track pedigree rennsports/supercorsa .. sure you won't get 10k miles out of them, but they are lovely
Old 05-09-08, 11:13 AM   #58
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
try buying x-race (or new) track pedigree rennsports/supercorsa .. sure you won't get 10k miles out of them, but they are lovely
The CBR600 has been running on Rennsports for the last 9 months on track, and a fair few road miles too - I love them. They were on the CBR when we were pitted together at Silverstone, and I have never ridden so confidently in my life. I have a spare set of RS1 front and RS2 rear Rennsports with minimal track mileage, so they'll go on the CBR and the road compound ones it currently has will go on my SV as they are starting to get a little slidey on track when pushed very hard, but will be fine on the road.
Old 05-09-08, 06:40 PM   #59
Tim in Belgium

Love my rennsport roads, hubbah hubbah.