SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-12-12, 08:19 PM   #1
-Ralph-

Default OMO: Which Charity?

I stopped sending xmas cards a few years ago. Everybody who knows me already knows I wish them a Merry Xmas and a happy new year, they dont need little card through the door to remind them.

It's not an inconsiderable cost, the trip to the post office alone is usually upwards of 40 quid, plus the cost of buying the cards.

Instead I donate the money to charity. In previous years I've chosen charities such as NSPCC and UNICEF (some of the stories Euan & Charley publicised on LWD/LWR got my throat).

This year though I'd like to give to a small local charity, where less of the money gets sucked up in overheads. I'm not really sure who to choose, so thought I'd throw it open to the org.

My pre-requisite is it must be a human charity. As much as I love animals, they are still animals, I don't value them over humans, and many of thier problems can be quickly and humanely solved with a rifle or an injection.

I've done my bit for funding medical research this year too.

Help the Heroes etc, is not my bag, deserving cause, but they are in the main adults who are not incapable of helping themselves.

So what charities have you come across in your local area that do something really worthwhile, and could really do with the money?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by -Ralph-; 03-12-12 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-12-12, 08:26 PM   #2
Spank86

Default Re: OMO: Which Charity?

Air ambulance.
Old 03-12-12, 08:32 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

easy. get Lance drunk fund.

just deposit the £40 behind the bar at the halfway house or black bull in edinburgh for this saturday and i promise it will go to good use.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-12, 09:00 PM   #4
punyXpress
Mega Poster

Whichever you choose, make sure you tick the box to get the tax back!
Old 03-12-12, 09:03 PM   #5
-Ralph-

Air ambulance is a good one. Lance, I'll donate a pint or two to that fund next time I'm up there. I keep threatening to invade KG on the weekend of one of the SV Ecosse rideouts.

Old 03-12-12, 09:07 PM   #6
Icanopit

Air Ambulance, we now have a child specific one for the central region based in Leicester which covers our region.

John
Old 03-12-12, 09:11 PM   #7
Bri w

After my ride in the Air Ambulance a few months back they now get money off me every week. Hopefully I'll have paid for my ride before I snuff it.

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-12, 09:14 PM   #8
-Ralph-

Thanks John. I'll google and if unsuccessful I'll ask if you can post a link. It doesn't have to be a childrens charity BTW, elderly, sick, whatever. For instance if it does end up being air ambulance, I'd rather it was the one that did more flights, than related to the type of patient they cater for.

Old 03-12-12, 09:20 PM   #9
Specialone

Air ambulance is what id vote for but my hallway fund is a registered charity so i would accept and welcome donations for that.
Old 03-12-12, 09:26 PM   #10
Amadeus

I donate to a number of causes but at this time of year I usually donate to charities for the elderly. You could find a local old peoples home, walk in and give them some cash.