SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-05-18, 09:22 PM   #11
Mega Poster

Default Re: Unnecessary use of Stinger on Bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post
What I said was its not ok for him to have failed to stop.

Can you explain to me the method by which you measured the speed of the bike and what speed was it?
Irrelevant, he was asked to stop (ALL the traffic was).

While I get the feeling Bibio is playing devils advocate a bit by saying he doesn't care if someone dies when a stinger is used. I certainly think it should be an absolute last measure - i.e trying to stop some thieves, high speed pursuit, etc.

The biker was a c*nt, as were the whoppers on quads, as were the whoppers who confronted the officer. I agree with Bibio that there's a huge amount of absolute a-holes on bikes these days, it's why Sadiq Khan (and other city Mayors) are moving to basically ban motorcycles from cities. Well done all the a-holes, wrecking it for all of us.
Old 07-05-18, 07:25 PM   #12
ethariel

Don't see then using a Stinger on a stolen bike they sometimes chase, might violate the rights of the thief but happy to walk about Southend carrying a stinger just waiting on any excuse to use it?

No hi-vis either whilst taking part in traffic duty? Naughty boy!

As to the asshats on the quads, lets hope that natural selection takes a hand in that.
ethariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-18, 07:57 PM   #13
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethariel View Post
Don't see then using a Stinger on a stolen bike they sometimes chase, might violate the rights of the thief but happy to walk about Southend carrying a stinger just waiting on any excuse to use it?

No hi-vis either whilst taking part in traffic duty? Naughty boy!

As to the asshats on the quads, lets hope that natural selection takes a hand in that.
How could you possibly know this? Aware of every chase, stolen bike and thief, are you?

Stop being so daft.
Old 07-05-18, 09:26 PM   #14
Red Herring
Mega Poster

There is so much BS associated with this story that it's hard to know where to begin. The officer wasn't even remotely engaged in stopping the traffic to allow "children and bikes" to cross the road so it's rather disappointing the senior officer chose to introduce that into her explanation of events, which she clearly did to distract from a rather inept deployment of a Stinger device. Clearly there are elements of every biker meet that are potentially going to endanger the public and spoil it for the majority and I don't doubt her master plan had provision in place to try and deal with them, and that may even have included the use of HOSTYDS (the proper name for a "Stinger") but I very much doubt they intended it to be used in the way it appears to have been against a solo motorcyclist.

Everything in that video suggest a poorly planned spontaneous deployment by an unprepared and unsupported officer, but that's not to say I blame him one bit for doing what he did. If you keep expecting officers to try and do a job with one hand tied behind their back this is exactly what happens. I'm surprised his management actually backed him up because the alternative possibility that he was actually following their plan is even more frightening!
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-18, 09:03 AM   #15
bikerbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones View Post
Knobs.
Not surprised about a stinger on a cruise in Southend, the place fills with knobs.
Made me laugh. I live there but try not to admit to it usually. Must agree though. Didn't see the incident in question but was down there as every year.

The "event" was ruined not by the Police or Council but the weather. That and the idiot fringe of quad and moped riders that are there every year. The Council went totally OTT with barriers and had drafted in hordes of "marshals" mostly clueless. Police presence was massive too but generally good humoured, the couple I spoke too were bored and cold but admitted that they were targeting mopeds and quads.

Possibly the copper was over reacting due to boredom or a desire to be seen to be doing something, don't know. I have never had a problem with being stopped by the Police. I do find it strange that Essex Police found it necessary to release a video explanation of their actions though, not something normally done. Maybe they were embarrassed by the original video on Facebook.
bikerbaker is offline   Reply With Quote