SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 18-08-07, 11:09 PM   #1
svscratcha

Default Are Pirelli Supercorsa Pro's Track only?

Hi again , Are the supercorsa pro's in soft compound front, medium back, suitable for road use or are they for the track only and why?
Does anbody rate these tyres for the Sv?

Ta much
Old 18-08-07, 11:52 PM   #2
northwind
Mega Poster

Default Re: Are Pirelli Supercorsa Pro's Track only?

They're road legal I believe... But tbh very, very few people will use them to their limits on the road, most people with super sticky tyres are just wasting money... In fact, with the quality of modern sport touring tyres most people with "fast road" tyres like a Corsa are probably wasting money too. Race takeoffs would be the exception though.

Plus, the very sticky tyres tend to be more sensitive to temperature, and less good in the rain... I have to take the first 2 roundabouts on my commute way slower when I've got my mate's Bandit (he uses Rennsports) than I do on the SV on Roadtecs, because they're so much better from cold. Fair play though, the Rennsports are an older tyre.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-07, 10:06 AM   #3
svscratcha

cheers buddy!
Old 19-08-07, 01:50 PM   #4
chunkytfg

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
They're road legal I believe... But tbh very, very few people will use them to their limits on the road, most people with super sticky tyres are just wasting money... In fact, with the quality of modern sport touring tyres most people with "fast road" tyres like a Corsa are probably wasting money too. Race takeoffs would be the exception though.

Plus, the very sticky tyres tend to be more sensitive to temperature, and less good in the rain... I have to take the first 2 roundabouts on my commute way slower when I've got my mate's Bandit (he uses Rennsports) than I do on the SV on Roadtecs, because they're so much better from cold. Fair play though, the Rennsports are an older tyre.

Still being made i believe

Other than that though i agree with northwind. I use them as race tyres and for that they are great but once they have cooled down they are lethal. I'd hate to try and run them on the road.
Old 19-08-07, 03:20 PM   #5
NedSVS

I've been using Supercorsas (in SC1 front & SC2 rear) for three summers now (always change to a more suitable tyre for the winter). You have to work them hard to get them warm and "make" the grip, so they are rubbish for commuting, wet & cold weather. Infact, so much so, I'm thinking of dropping them for anything other than track days! Had a frightening slide coming down the Cat & Fiddle a few weeks back on them: it was weekend so fearing the usual police presence stuck more or less to the speed limit but was cornering quite hard (but no heroics) when I had a slide on a right hand bend. I beleive I simply wasn't working the tyre hard enough to get it warm. On the grounds of cost, if you buy at the right price (I'm averaging a little over £50 per pair inc' P&P off Ebay) and fit them yourself then they work out really cheap. Ironically they dont have a much shorter life than BT014's!. But the BT014 does have a pretty poor life to begin with!
NedSVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-07, 11:20 PM   #6
svscratcha

cheers bud, but I think its too late I'm the highest bidder and I was only looking for a sticky commuter come w/end scratcher tyre for much cheapness, oops!
Oh well , I can always stick them back on e-bay or does anybody whant a set of track tyres? 1 careful, granny owner...........
Old 20-08-07, 08:04 AM   #7
DoodleBug

How much you after?
Old 20-08-07, 08:28 AM   #8
weazelz

using the SC track-compound Supercorsa's on the road sounds pretty scary. they must cold-tear like crazy & the compound must be rock hard after only a very short period of 'normal' riding, given the number of thermal cycles it must have to go through. not that you'd ever get them hot enough to work properly on the road anyway
Old 20-08-07, 12:04 PM   #9
Pedrosa

Pirelli Diablo Corsa's will offer as much grip as any mere mortal could possibly use. Dont be a victim of slick marketing.
Old 20-08-07, 12:10 PM   #10
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrosa View Post
Pirelli Diablo Corsa's will offer as much grip as any mere mortal could possibly use. Dont be a victim of slick marketing.
I think that's a bit unfair in the context.
The guy's looking for cheap secondhand tyres, not paying retail because he's succumbed to slick marketing.
That aside, fully agree.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote