SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-07-18, 08:56 PM   #41
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Erratic ignition now no power, no start

to melt that connector there must have been some serious voltage going through it. so you have a fault elsewhere. or the connecting terminal is furred up causing arcing.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-18, 09:03 PM   #42
Bibio
Mega Poster

pretty sure that its these https://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/E...d/RFW/rfw.html
Old 10-07-18, 09:03 PM   #43
BigTon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
to melt that connector there must have been some serious voltage going through it. so you have a fault elsewhere. or the connecting terminal is furred up causing arcing.

After braking down roadside we tried a lot of times jumping the terminals at the starter. Sure that would be enough to melt it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-07-18, 09:12 PM   #44
Bibio
Mega Poster

doubt it. unless you had the car running.

i personally think its been fried before jumping the bike from the car and thats why it broke down.
Old 10-07-18, 09:16 PM   #45
BigTon

Quote:
doubt it. unless you had the car running.

i personally think its been fried before jumping the bike from the car and thats why it broke down.

Yes car was always running

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-07-18, 02:34 PM   #46
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

There's never a need to have a car running if jumping a Motorcycle and as you've found out it can ruin components on the Motorcycle.If the extra passive power from the larger Car battery won't start the machine then starting the Donor car won't help.The fault on the Motorcycle needs to be fixed.

Because the internal resistance of the Motorcycle battery will be lower than the Donor battery as it has been depleted the extra current from the Alternator on the car will bypass it's own battery and shunt the current to the smaller and much less robust Motorcycle battery.The danger to the Motorcycle electrics will increase further if the Donor car is revved up
Old 11-07-18, 03:24 PM   #47
Bibio
Mega Poster

i'll stick my neck out here and say what i think has happened. i'll take a wild guess and say that the burnt out terminal is the red wire. now since the bike had a fault and broke down i'll say that the terminal was already on its way out. the reason for this is that the regulator in the RR is passing too much voltage or the rectification is collapsing and letting AC through, this is really bad news as the AC is at much higher amps. wiring, connectors and fuses dont care if its AC or DC but the terminals in connectors are specified to certain amperage be it AC or DC when the terminals go over their specified amps then they either melt, explode or in this case heat up causing the plastic around it to melt.
Old 11-07-18, 05:23 PM   #48
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Absolutely right.As connectors corrode over time and if not halted the surface area of the contacts reduces.The effect is exactly the same as if you say have 1.5mm 20 amp multi wire cable and each year it lost a strand.Eventually it cannot handle the current it was designed for and will start to heat up as it's resistance increases due it it's reduced diameter/surface area.

I've just been fitting a MOSFET R/R and found out something I've not seen noticed on any forum when I've been researching and that is that on my 1999 Curvy Suzuki fitted not just one HT Stator Connector but TWO!.

I've removed both from the Stator lines and the one on the Regulator wires so they are hard wired in now.

I've been making some web pages for it and also have now fitted a small PC cooling fan to the R/R just for good measure.

http://puttingoutfires.x10host.com/M...sfetUniRR.html

Unfortunately it looks like the over-voltage has ruined the Circuit board in the Tacho as it's become unreliable and the 4 year old battery is suspect so it's gone.

Mosfet R/R is working as expected and running between 10-15 Deg C cooler with the the small fan.

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 19-07-18 at 09:28 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-18, 08:26 PM   #49
Bibio
Mega Poster

nice write up

notice that you use a clothes peg. might i suggests that you get some blu-tak and use that. its what i use for all my wire soldering and sometimes on circuit boards as well. press blu-tak on a surface then press the wire into the blu-tak with the end you want to work sticking out. if you use two blobs of blu-tak its easier to solder two ends together, keeps your hand free for the iron and solder
Old 12-07-18, 08:11 AM   #50
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
nice write up

notice that you use a clothes peg. might i suggests that you get some blu-tak and use that. its what i use for all my wire soldering and sometimes on circuit boards as well. press blu-tak on a surface then press the wire into the blu-tak with the end you want to work sticking out. if you use two blobs of blu-tak its easier to solder two ends together, keeps your hand free for the iron and solder
I've used Blu-tac and similar Biblio but I can never find it when I need it.Nice thing about a clothes peg is I can leave it clipped to my Soldering iron so it's always around.

Also I always break the hook things on my soldering irons so I make my own out of some welding wire so I can hook the iron where I need to on-bike