SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-06-18, 09:03 PM   #1
WightDiamond

Default Barback Risers & Stock Cables - 2017 L7

Am considering installing a set of SW Motech barback risers.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...ndlebar-risers

Has anyone installed these and if so, were you able to do so by adjusting the cabling rather than installing new cables?

Also, does anyone know any alternatives to the SW Motech ones that adjust the bars back as well as up?
Old 19-06-18, 09:27 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Barback Risers & Stock Cables - 2017 L7

the link does not show the exact part. but i'm sure that you are looking at the riser clamps and if so you can get them on ebay at a 1/4 of the price.

pretty much any height to the existing bars is going to require longer cables including the switchgear, clutch and throttle.

can i ask why you want to raise and pull back the bars?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-18, 10:50 PM   #3
WightDiamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
the link does not show the exact part. but i'm sure that you are looking at the riser clamps and if so you can get them on ebay at a 1/4 of the price.

pretty much any height to the existing bars is going to require longer cables including the switchgear, clutch and throttle.

can i ask why you want to raise and pull back the bars?
Well, there's conflicting info on this. Someone on a social media forum installed a slightly different set but with same height and back adjustment and did so without any re-cabling, apparently. So I'm just trying to find out if a few others have done the same without.

I'm looking to simply slightly adjust my riding position to a more upright one. My back is getting older and on longer rides the more upright position will help. I'd rather not but my body is telling me it would be a smart idea now.
Old 19-06-18, 10:55 PM   #4
WightDiamond

Link got truncated. Here the link again.
Old 19-06-18, 11:03 PM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

sitting more upright is good but also brings a pitfall of placing more pressure on your bum and hips.

i'm 5ft fek all and 50+ years old and find the seating position with renthal med bars about right if a little too wide on a k7

i doubt that a small pull back such as the risers your looking at will need extended cables. i suppose its a suck it and see kind of thing. go with the ebay knock offs and try it first.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-18, 06:53 AM   #6
glang

On my 'S' I use a well filled tank bag and lay my chest on it which is soooo comfortable I can go for miles with minimal load on wrists, back, bum - on a smooth road I can even rest my helmet chin on it and fall asleep.......
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-18, 07:02 AM   #7
WightDiamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
sitting more upright is good but also brings a pitfall of placing more pressure on your bum and hips.

i'm 5ft fek all and 50+ years old and find the seating position with renthal med bars about right if a little too wide on a k7

i doubt that a small pull back such as the risers your looking at will need extended cables. i suppose its a suck it and see kind of thing. go with the ebay knock offs and try it first.
Cheer Bibio. TBH, the position for me is OK. I'm 5' 10". I only notice a little lower back discomfort over long trips which I think a minimal draw back on the bars should address but we'll see.
Old 20-06-18, 07:04 AM   #8
WightDiamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
yes, macamxthe1st (Geoff) did it. Unfortunately, he swapped his SV for a Burgman and I'm not sure he's on the site anymore - you could try and pm him.

If I recall correctly he had the work done by B&B of Lincoln (01522 545879) - very helpful people, if a pm to Geoff doesn't work you could call them - they know Geoff he bought his SV and his Burgman from them. Peter is the owner - they are closed on Wednesdays.

I think they had to fit a clutch cable from a DL650 everything else fitted ok but it was a while ago.

Then, I thought: why not look up his thread (duh!)

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=225979
Thanks for that Seeker. Yes, it was that thread that drew my attention to the possible need for an extended clutch cable. I'm wondering if there are slight discrepancies in cable length from bike to bike. A 20mm difference to one cable kind of solves the problem..
Old 20-06-18, 07:04 AM   #9
WightDiamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by glang View Post
On my 'S' I use a well filled tank bag and lay my chest on it which is soooo comfortable I can go for miles with minimal load on wrists, back, bum - on a smooth road I can even rest my helmet chin on it and fall asleep.......
LOL. I can see how that might work but I have tank bags!
Old 20-06-18, 08:55 AM   #10
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Just an FYI.

One thing most Motorcycle riders never do is adjust the Handlebars to suit their build.

As soon as I got my SV I slacked off the bars and sat on the bike with my riding gear on and then moved the bars until I found the,"Sweet-Spot" for my build/arms length etc.

I have to set up my Motorcycles exact because of shoulder and neck problems caused by industrial injury and age wear and tear otherwise I cannot go far without pain.

It's amazing how much even a millimeter adjustment can make to riding comfort over lots of miles once set right.I can now go over 200 miles in a day easily without fatigue